The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pasture vacuum?

Anybody have one, specifically one of these guys? http://www.pasturevacuums.com/products.html

Love it, hate it, waste of money, godsend? TIA!

OOOh I want to know too!

I manage to suck the regular vacuum onto the wrong things all the time. I guess I want to know if you can accidently suck your leg off (quasi-kidding) or something?? I mean think about how much suction you need to suck up a big pile!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Yes, we have had the smaller unit, a Paddock Vac, for several years and love it. Gets all the little poo pieces on the ground you can never get up with a fork.

The newer engines are a little quieter, use regular gas but still good to wear ear plugs between the sounds of the vac and lawn tractor engines going at the same time. Easy to dump, rinse out occasionally and to maintain. Get the longer hose, then you can park the rig and vacuum up the favorite poo spots in the pastures. You can really zip through a pasture if someone drives and the other person walks & vacuums as you go.

Great option esp. for folks with bad backs that cannot haul a muck bucket around. Keeping up with vacuuming the paddocks, it increases the usable grazing areas. Our vet always love how clean our pastures look!
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

I read on some llama website where they made their own for a lot less $$$ and worked just as well. Of course I do not remember what llama website I was on.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

You can contact the person who made their own pasture vacuum at libertyalpaca@verizon.net

We have one. It works well once you get the hang of using it and driving at the same time! However there is no bag, so we have to dump the hopper, scoop it up by hand and put it in the manure dumpster. WHich is sort of a pain. A detachable hopper that could be dumped would be easier. Or a heavy duty bag. But for the smaller paddocks I do like it better than dragging.

I saw these at the WEG trade show and again at WEF this weekend. Seems like the ones they are selling "ready to go" are rather over-priced compared to the price of the actual vacuum motor they use. Have also been thinking about this for a while. Right now pastures are 5ft under snow, so guess I'll wait till Spring to think about this harder!

Just curious why everyone is vacuuming up fertilizer? Not being snide, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by coymackerel View Post
    You can contact the person who made their own pasture vacuum at libertyalpaca@verizon.net
    I tried that and the email bounced.

Also found this one on-line
    http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...remier7HPRecon
    Turns out they have a factory store relatively near me in Merrimack NH, and apparently people do use these for manure pick-up as well. I think the paddock vac one (specifically for horses) seems over priced for the size of the motor etc. The DR one has a bigger motor. Anyone have any experience with the DR one?

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Just curious why everyone is vacuuming up fertilizer? Not being snide, just curious.
    Big piles of poop kill grass and attract flies. If you pick up the poop, put it in a compost pile, compost it, then put it back on the field, should be excellent fertilizer. I guess dragging with a harrow is better than nothing, but I think composting then reapplying is better than leaving in place in big pile (much) or dragging to spread it out.

I saw those a few years ago and always wondered how well they worked. Seems way better than the pitchfork/wheelbarrow method!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by dogbluehorse View Post
    Big piles of poop kill grass and attract flies. If you pick up the poop, put it in a compost pile, compost it, then put it back on the field, should be excellent fertilizer. I guess dragging with a harrow is better than nothing, but I think composting then reapplying is better than leaving in place in big pile (much) or dragging to spread it out.
    Ok. We do compost our stall waste and then spread on the fields. Haven't had a problem with piles of manure killing the grass, but maybe because I'm in FL and different grass. Also haven't had a problem with fly's since we started with the fly predators a few years ago. They made a big difference and I have farms on two sides with cows

If anyone wants to stop by with a pasture vacuum, they are welcome, but please do the house first

Thought that I would re-activate this thread as I am thinking of getting a Paddock Vac as well. Right now I use the trusty old pitchfork and my Gator for picking up piles ...

Any more comments pro and con for them?

Thanks!

I have used our Trac-Vac in the past with great results.

There always seems to be a good supply of them on craigslist.

We ended up buying one of these - http://www.danzigbros.com/Trafalgar_...s_cleans_.html - and have been very disappointed because of one silly, stupid thing: they're British-made, so the vacuum is on the right, making it impossible to drive and vacuum at the same time! Duh! I get the big F for not doing my research.

We asked if we could get a longer hose, and they said that it wouldn't work; not enough suction. Reminds me to see if I could find a longer hose to give it a shot anyway.

Other than that, it works great; it just basically requires two people to operate. Stupid. Customer service hasn't been great either.

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Dragging with a harrow spreads parasites all over. I was at a seminar on this and was shocked at how long some of those suckers can live in the ground (years). Picking it up is better. Picking it up, composting it = better yet.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

We have a Paddock Vac dealer at an alpaca farm about 30 minutes from us. I wanted to convince them to just rent one out for a day instead of buying one just for me. Can't afford it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    I have used our Trac-Vac in the past with great results.

There always seems to be a good supply of them on craigslist.
    What model do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Dragging with a harrow spreads parasites all over. I was at a seminar on this and was shocked at how long some of those suckers can live in the ground (years). Picking it up is better. Picking it up, composting it = better yet.
    Doesn't that depend somewhat on the climate, though?

We get consistent winter temps well below -20 degrees Celsius, ie below -4 Fahrenheit, and I'd always understood that was an effective parasite-killer.

Just curious - tia!

Quote Originally Posted by PreppyPonies View Post
    What model do you have?
    It is an EasyRake V86, not sure if it is even still made.

It is very similar to this.

http://www.trac-vac.com/index_files/Model1080.htm

It has a wand attachment for the hose and makes short work of poop, wet or dry.