The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coming back to riding-people wise?

So, I haven't sat on a horse in almost 3 months (school stuff, horses out of state, complications with a ws position, etc). I was hoping to be competing in March of this year but, lol, not really realistic anymore.
    ANYWAYS, the point of this question was, those of you who have taken around that amount of time off, what was it like for you to go back to riding? Like how rusty were you? Could you post the trot (lol)?
    Thank you!!

I took about 4 months off my freshman year in college. I went through what I refer to as my "quarter-life-crisis." I got rid of my horse and purged my life of all things horse related. Go figure, four months later I got back into riding hardcore!

But I didn't find it difficult to get back into riding at all. Actually, I was probably pretty stupid. I went from several months off to having my first ride back be on a pony who had been sitting in a field doing nothing for god knows how long and who hadn't been ridden since he'd been broke 7 years prior (he was a driving pony). Since he was getting back into fitness, a bulk of my first rides back in the saddle were just walk and trot. I found it to be a lot like riding a bicycle though--you sit down and feel a little awkward for about 10 seconds, and then you're right in your groove.

I'm ridiculous and was hellbent on regaining muscle pronto, so I did a LOT of 2-point and no-stirrup work right off the bat to get my muscles re-acclimated as fast as possible. I don't remember being frustrated with my level of fitness though! Three months isn't that long
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I took 14 years off. I took my time getting back into shape, riding lesson horses or borrowed horses. That was about 10 years ago. Now I've had 5 months off, and before that I spent a year rehabbing my horse. So lots of walk in that year. So it's been about 1.5 years since I've had a real workout on a horse. 3 months is Nothing. You'll post the trot fine. If you want, do some abdominal work, and wall squats to help you get back into shape before you get into the saddle.

I've gone 3.5 and almost 5 months without riding as well as a couple of times where it was a month or two, for various reasons. I was rusty at first, but I could still post the trot. And, actually, a couple of those times I came back better than before. You'll be motivated and ready to get going again! Just take it slow the first few rides back and don't be too hard on yourself.
    T3DE Pact

I just rode for the first time in six weeks on Friday, and I could remember how to post!! Seriously that was my biggest concern. Actually it went a lot more smoothly than I'd feared, though I was sorer the next day than I had expected.

One year in high school I had to go three months, and I was petrified that I wouldn't remember how to do anything. My first ride was pretttttyyy rusty, but after like 20 minutes of feeling like a total rube it all started to come back. The hardest thing back then was my old Stubben Siegfried, which had such a hard seat that it required a serious callous to tolerate. I was pretty sure I had a bone bruise for the first month coming back because my seat bones were so sore from that d******* saddle!!

Okay good I'm so glad to hear this!!! I was worried everyone would say it takes forever to get back to where you were level wise
    I've been trying to work out a lot to keep my fitness somewhere near where it was so I won't completely fail!
    Thank you for your input, this makes me feel a lot better

If you're fit I think it shouldn't be too difficult. Sure, things might go back exactly where they belong (I'm battling a pesky lower leg that wasn't an issue prior to a break), but the posting-trot & other things are intuitive. I found coming back easier than learning - you already know how to do everything, not concentrating on up-with-the-outside shoulder nonsense. It can also be very frustrating, because you might know what you should be doing but it's not quite working for you, because you need practice.

Good question!!!
    I haven't ridden in 7 months!!!!!
    Maybe in about 2 months I'll get started again, BUT, it will be by starting my youngster, so a lot of groundwork, then walking. I'm not too worried, as I've been Prelim/3rd level fit in the past and other than a little bit of extra flab I still have that core fitness so necessary to riders. Plus, I'm doing core-strengthening to prevent a recurrence of back pain which I think will help a lot. The other times I had to lay myself off (school, youngsters growing, etc) I haven't found much problem returning, other than the occasional leg soreness the next day after the first ride back- nothing that another ride didn't fix!

You'll be sore for a while. But, it all comes back to you. It's like riding a bike, except way more fun. Most of all be brave and have fun. It'll all be fine.

Grins,
    ~Roberta
    www.findaridingbuddy.com

Default 7 months

I just rode for the first time in 7 months (injury-related). I just did walk-trot-canter for about 20 minutes. Surprisingly, I wasn't even sore the next day. Not sure how long it will be til I get back to where I was, but that's more due to work and lack of a jumping-sound horse than injury/time off.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I took about 4 months off my freshman year in college. I went through what I refer to as my "quarter-life-crisis." I got rid of my horse and purged my life of all things horse related. Go figure, four months later I got back into riding hardcore!

But I didn't find it difficult to get back into riding at all. Actually, I was probably pretty stupid. I went from several months off to having my first ride back be on a pony who had been sitting in a field doing nothing for god knows how long and who hadn't been ridden since he'd been broke 7 years prior (he was a driving pony). Since he was getting back into fitness, a bulk of my first rides back in the saddle were just walk and trot. I found it to be a lot like riding a bicycle though--you sit down and feel a little awkward for about 10 seconds, and then you're right in your groove.

I'm ridiculous and was hellbent on regaining muscle pronto, so I did a LOT of 2-point and no-stirrup work right off the bat to get my muscles re-acclimated as fast as possible. I don't remember being frustrated with my level of fitness though! Three months isn't that long
    haha this sounds just like me. took a semester off started back on a barley broke tb/clyde mare who had just had her baby weaned... I was sore the first week or so but it wasn't too bad. One thing i noticed was that I had fallen back into alot of old 'bad habits'. For me it was really helpful to have a month or so of lessons 'back to basics' (i have lessons 1x/week.. and after a month or so I was good to go. I attribute part of that to fitness, part to getting to know a new horse, and part bc the semester prior when i was 'riding' it was hunter lessons thru my school's program and riding crippled up schoolies 2x/week really didn;t keep me 'eventing' fit.