The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Foal registry options with an unregistered mare?

Venturing over to the SHB forum hoping you guys can help me out!

Friend bred her "lifetime" mare who is unregistered - flunkie polo pony turned eventer- probably mostly tb x something else- to the stallion Linaro who I believe is registered Holsteiner and approved Dutch warmblood, Hanoverian, and Oldenburg Verband.

Are there any registry options for the baby, preferably without having to have the mare inspected. Mare is small and has an unknown pedigree so I don't know if she would pass an inspection. (I don't know much about inspections/registration etc). *note this is NOT my mare and I had nothing to do with the breeding decision, however would I like to help my friend find any info on possibly getting the baby registered. She doesn't care about getting the mare registered if there is a way to register the baby without the mare being registered.

Thanks!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

The mare would be eligible for the ISR pre mare book. She would have to get inspected before the foal could get registered. I think RPSI has lower books as well for unregistered mares?

If you don't want the mare inspected, try PHR or AWR or AWS. Although ISR and RPSI have lower mare books, the mare WILL have to be inspected, and if there are quality issues, she probably won't get approved for breeding, which will only allow the foal a Certificate of Pedigree. Horses are registered as foals, they are approved for breeding as adults. In order to become approved for breeding - even in the lower books - the mare must meet the requirements for conformation and type and for movement. Some registries have minimum height requirements as well. If you think she won't qualify, see above.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Thank you very much!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Another vote for AWS. They will inspect just the foal and not the mare if that is what the owners would like to do.

What about an unregistered Old/Han mare who's dam was never registered but the sire was an elite stallion and registered when he was imported and the G-sire is also an elite stallion. only missing link is the TB dam who was never registered. Could this mare be be registered GOV lowest book?

We do all of our registrations with the American Warmblood Registry. The office can answer any and all eligibility questions at info@americanwarmblood.com.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    Venturing over to the SHB forum hoping you guys can help me out!

Friend bred her "lifetime" mare who is unregistered - flunkie polo pony turned eventer- probably mostly tb x something else- to the stallion Linaro who I believe is registered Holsteiner and approved Dutch warmblood, Hanoverian, and Oldenburg Verband.

Are there any registry options for the baby, preferably without having to have the mare inspected. Mare is small and has an unknown pedigree so I don't know if she would pass an inspection. (I don't know much about inspections/registration etc). *note this is NOT my mare and I had nothing to do with the breeding decision, however would I like to help my friend find any info on possibly getting the baby registered. She doesn't care about getting the mare registered if there is a way to register the baby without the mare being registered.

Thanks!
    For Oldenburg (GOV), the mare would have to be inspected, and she would be put in the lowest mare book because of her lack of papers. Her foal by Linaro would receive papers, but the dam's side of the pedigree would be blank since her bloodlines are unknown.

How small is the mare? It is possible she would end up in the pony mare book.

But I agree with other posters - if you don't want to have to inspect the mare, PHR, AWR, or AWS would probably be your best options.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    What about an unregistered Old/Han mare who's dam was never registered but the sire was an elite stallion and registered when he was imported and the G-sire is also an elite stallion. only missing link is the TB dam who was never registered. Could this mare be be registered GOV lowest book?
    No, not "registered" in the lowest book, but eligible for breeding approval in the lowest mare book. She certainly wouldn't be eligible for a higher mare book without a provable pedigree. But her foals would be eligible for registration papers, and for Oldenburg awards.

Is this your mare? You are in my area - PM me if you are interested in getting this mare inspected this year. The office is starting work on this year's inspection tour, and I will need to put you on my mailing list for the GA inspection.
    Last edited by DownYonder; Jan. 29, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarification

One of the reasons I use the AWR is from your situation. I purchased a lovely mare by an American Hanoverian stallion out of a TB mare, from the breeder. I received the AHS certificate of pedigree with the mare's side blank, and a copy of the mare's Jockey Club papers. Because the AWR requires a DNA verification, this was easily done, and my resulting papers have both sides of my lovely mare's pedigree filled in.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist