The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blue Seal Sentinel Senior versus Triple Crown Senior - Thoughts?

We're in the process of moving our horses home to our farm in a different state and I've been researching my local feed options.

I have one horse on Blue Seal Sentinel Senior (formerly called Vintage Senior). I've been very happy with it, and especially love that it's extruded. This particular horse cannot have regular old pellets because he has a history of choke. Even without soaking, he does well on the extruded feed and has (knock wood) never choked on it. He's also a bit of a picky eater, and luckily loves the BS Sentinel Senior.

The only reasons I'm even considering a switch are that the Triple Crown is easier to get (though I CAN get the Blue Seal) and the Triple Crown is lower in NSC. The BS feed is about 20%, I think, while the Triple Crown is around 12% IIRC. However, the convenience aspect isn't a huge deal to me. He does well on the feed, and I'm willing to drive a little farther to get it if that's what he does best on.

A few questions about the TC, though:

I know that it is a textured feed, but does it have large pellets in it? (Thinking about choke.)

I also believe it contains beet pulp shreds, but is it very heavy on the beet pulp shreds? Again, I'm thinking about choke.

Palatibility - I realize I'll only get anecdotal responses, but I am curious if people found their horses really liked or really didn't like the TC Senior.

Finally, is 20% NSC considered high? I'm just curious. This horse has no issues, but that doesn't make a high NSC feed okay or better. At the same time, he does well on the BS and I'm normally in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. However, I am open to considering the TC Senior.

Any other thoughts on either of these feeds would also be welcome. I'll be honest in that I have no idea how they will compare cost-wise. Anyone have any idea?

Because I'm sure someone will ask, Horse is a relatively hard keeper -- He currently eats free choice grass hay (eats between 20 and 25 pounds per day), 6.5 pounds of BS Sentinel Senior, 1 cup oil, and 7 pounds of soaked alfalfa cubes per day, along with his supplements. All of his feed (grain included) is broken into 4 meals per day. He is in moderate work -- 45-60 minutes, 6 days a week of 1st-2nd level dressage and light jumping.

I'm not looking to revamp his entire diet. He is doing well on it, and I am finally happy with it. I'm only even curious about the TC Senior for the reasons I stated -- availability and the NSC. And I'm still not sold.

Thanks in advance.

I use TC Senior for everyone. For a horse prone to choke, I soak it. Just pour in warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.

In the summer, I use cold water and let it sit longer...maybe 15 minutes. Warning, though in the summer, don't let it sit too long in the heat, it seems like it ferments. One of my guys will not eat it if it's been soaked in summer, and I have to scrub his bowl out after every meal. Picky TB! But, he loves it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If you're happy with the Sentinel, I probably wouldn't change either. That said, I can tell you that the TC Sr has a pellet much like Purina Sr--if you've ever seen that. It also has alot of beet pulp shreds, maybe 30-50%
    Mine have all eaten it readily. I add water for one of them.

It's much higher in fat than the Sentinel; 10% vs 5-6%
    Like you said, the NSC is low, I don't know how it compares with Sentinel..

hope that helps!

I switched my horse to TC Senior and he was like a spider monkey on crack. I took him off that and switched him over to Vintage Senior and he did great. The last day he was on the TC Senior I thought his heart was going to beat out of his chest.

So, didn't work for me...

I love TC Senior. Funny, it's one of the two feeds our TB can eat without losing his mind. The other is Ultium.

I fed Blue Seal Vintage Senior and switched to TC Senior in the winter. Within just a few weeks, my old guy had developed dapples in his winter coat. I was sold. My mare has a choke issue as well but she hasn't had a problem with the TCS. I would like to wet it, but when I do she throws her dish, like 20 feet with feed flying all over.

Blue Seal now makes a knock-off of the TC Senior. It is called SBP 14-10 (Senior Beet Pulp 14% protein, 10% fat). The SBP 14-10 has a fixed formula like the TCS. I've switched to it because TC is harder for me to get now that Blue Seal doesn't handle it. So far I haven't seen any difference in the horses.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate them.

I was really leaning toward keeping him on the Blue Seal, but I just realized the Blue Seal dealer is a LOT farther away than I originally thought - well over an hour's drive. That just probably won't be doable long-term.

I think we will probably be giving the TC Senior a try. Hopefully I won't have to soak it. The feed bucket becomes a feed launcher when I soak his grain.

I go an hour away to get the TC Senior, LOL. I suppose the texture may vary from plant to plant, but the TC Sr I get is a small, soft pellet, almost like an extruded feed. I don't see BP shreds per se, the BP is part of what the pellets consist of. I really like the texture of it, and my horses agree.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Thanks. I will definitely get a bag and check it out, since I am planning to switch another of my horses to it anyway.

As for the driving for the Blue Seal, it would be 3 hours of driving round trip without traffic for me. Between the time involved and the cost of fuel, it likely will not be doable long-term, given my business and farm responsibilities. It's worth it to me to explore other viable alternatives and TC Senior seems to be one. Certainly if there is NO other feed he can have, then I'll have to find a way to make it work... but if there is something just as good, that he tolerates just as well, that doesn't involve 3 hours of driving to get, then I'm certainly going to give it a go.

I really love TC Senior and how my horses look on it. I think you will be very happy with the switch. Congratulations on your move, Phaxxton. I'm jealous you are moving somewhere warmer!

Love the TC Senior My finicky horse eats it, so I'd say it's fairly palatable.

I despise TC ... you need an ice pick to chizzel a scoop out in cold weather. That and it is so sticky I can only think what its doing to the horses teeth.

I faithfully use Vintage sr. best stuff ever!

Here's my experience with these two feeds:

I have one old guy who is the world's most picky eater - he has always been a *problem child* About a year ago he decided he hated soaked beet pulp - period! So I stopped giving it to him. He was eating his Pennfield Fibregized just fine (without the added soaked beet pulp) - until he decided he hated that too! So, because TC Senior was known to be very palatable I tried that - and yay - he liked it - for. about. a. year! Then he stopped eating that too!

Did I mention that this is a *problem child*! So, I went and got him a bag of Blue Seal Sentinel Senior - and he loves it!

However, I really wanted him to keep eating the TC Senior because of the higher fat (he needs to gain weight), so I never totally took him off of the TC (I had mixed the two as I was transitioning him to the Blue Seal), but since he liked the mixture of the two feeds combined, that's what he gets now. About 2/3 TC and 1/3 Blue Seal.

This has only been for a couple of weeks now and so far so good - he cleans up nearly every meal (and he gets fed 3 times per day). Fingers crossed that he continues to like this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    I despise TC ... you need an ice pick to chizzel a scoop out in cold weather. That and it is so sticky I can only think what its doing to the horses teeth.
    Ozone, have you used TC Sr recently? I've had almost no problem with it chunking this winter, and nothing that I can't break up with my hands. I know it used to brick up a lot more but doesn't seem to now.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I really love TC Senior and how my horses look on it. I think you will be very happy with the switch. Congratulations on your move, Phaxxton. I'm jealous you are moving somewhere warmer!
    Thank you so much! I am really excited about it, while at the same time obsessing over the little details of the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    Here's my experience with these two feeds:

I have one old guy who is the world's most picky eater - he has always been a *problem child* About a year ago he decided he hated soaked beet pulp - period! So I stopped giving it to him. He was eating his Pennfield Fibregized just fine (without the added soaked beet pulp) - until he decided he hated that too! So, because TC Senior was known to be very palatable I tried that - and yay - he liked it - for. about. a. year! Then he stopped eating that too!

Did I mention that this is a *problem child*! So, I went and got him a bag of Blue Seal Sentinel Senior - and he loves it!

However, I really wanted him to keep eating the TC Senior because of the higher fat (he needs to gain weight), so I never totally took him off of the TC (I had mixed the two as I was transitioning him to the Blue Seal), but since he liked the mixture of the two feeds combined, that's what he gets now. About 2/3 TC and 1/3 Blue Seal.

This has only been for a couple of weeks now and so far so good - he cleans up nearly every meal (and he gets fed 3 times per day). Fingers crossed that he continues to like this combo.
    Thanks.

Since you feed both, can I ask OOC which is more expensive or if they are close in price? You don't have to give specifics, of course, and I realize prices vary across the country. I was just curious if one is much more expensive than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Thanks.

Since you feed both, can I ask OOC which is more expensive or if they are close in price? You don't have to give specifics, of course, and I realize prices vary across the country. I was just curious if one is much more expensive than the other.
    I think they are both about the same in price. IIRC - about $19 (+ or - ). We usually pick up other things on a trip to the feed store (Pennfield feed for the other horses, Equi-Jewel, etc. so I don't pay attention to individual prices of things - if the horses need it - you have to get it, right?

Since my guy has never been totally on just the Blue Seal, can I ask you how your horse looks (coat wise) on it? Mine looks FABULOUS on the TC Senior. I hope his coat continues to look as good now that he's not getting as much TC. I can't add oil, because of course, he hates that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    I think they are both about the same in price. IIRC - about $19 (+ or - ). We usually pick up other things on a trip to the feed store (Pennfield feed for the other horses, Equi-Jewel, etc. so I don't pay attention to individual prices of things - if the horses need it - you have to get it, right?

Since my guy has never been totally on just the Blue Seal, can I ask you how your horse looks (coat wise) on it? Mine looks FABULOUS on the TC Senior. I hope his coat continues to look as good now that he's not getting as much TC. I can't add oil, because of course, he hates that too!
    Thanks. I wasn't going to make my decision based on the price. I was just curious if one was way more expensive than the other.

As for my horse's coat on the Blue Seal, it's shiny and healthy. Granted, he has been on oil for a long time, too, so that certainly helps.