The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Cell phone question

This really is horse-related because my cell phone stays with me at all times except when I'm in the shower or sleeping. Therefore it goes out to the barn with me 100% of the time.

I do not have it for any other purpose than for an emergency, like if "I've fallen and can't get up" or I'm walking a colicky horse and don't want to stop walking him to use the landline extension phone in the barn aisle to get in touch with the vet.

Come winter, I pull it off my belt and place in my barn coat pocket where it's easier for me to reach than under my snowpants, sweater and barn coat. Other times, I'm liable to put it in my purse when I go shopping.

Does anyone know if you can have several cellphones that will use the same number? Just like extension landline phones in the house. In other words, then I don't have to take it off my belt and put it in my barn coat pocket, or put it in my purse. I'd love to have at least 3 or more individual phones that ring the same number. Am I dreaming or is this actually possible?

Right now I use T-Mobile as my carrier but would consider switching if it were possible and reasonable.

I suppose I could wait till tomorrow and call my cell phone provider and a few others but thought I'd check with COTH first.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

You can use Google Voice to assign 1 number to multiple phones. I don't know if there is a carrier that offers this service though.

I worked for AT&T for a little while. If your carrier uses SIM cards... no. I seriously doubt it even if your carrier did not use sim cards.

Techinically it SHOULD be possible (without SIM), but doubt they will let it happen. The closest I could see you geting is to have mulitple lines, with the number you want to ring forwarded to the handset you want to use.

Or, if you have SIM cards... just switch the sim to the handset you want to use... but I think this is counterproductive to what you are wanting!

I believe that any charged-up cell phone has to be able to call 911, even if you don't have it currently signed up with a service provider. So, if that's the case, you can get an old phone and keep it charged up to just carry while riding in case of emergency. I keep meaning to do that with my old phone--it's a small flip phone which is easy to slip in a pocket, whereas my new phone is a bigger HTC touch screen, and it's a pain to have to find a safe place for it while I'm on a horse.

Though on that note, would you need to have a sim card in the old phone to use it, even when there's no regular service?