The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse with laminitis/metabolic syndrome? Please Read!

Do you have an easy keeper, or a horse that has struggled with laminitis, and/or metabolic issues? If so, your horse could help resesarchers understand how to prevent/treat metabolic syndrome (laminitis)!

The University of Minnesota is collaboratoing with other Universities nationwide are working to identify the genetic factors that make horses and ponies susceptible to laminitis and metabolic syndrome. If you have a horse that you think may have metabolic syndrome (easy keeper, fat, had laminitis) you can help! If you are selected for the study, you will receive FREE blood analysis from your horse and FREE hay, grain, and pasture analysis! And, your horse never has to leave home!

Horses of all breeds and anywhere in the US are eligible. Please follow the links below to find out more and please pread the word. Thanks!

Learn about Equine Metabolic Syndrome:
    http://www.cvm.umn.edu/equinegenetics/ems/home.html

Get involved in research:
    http://www.cvm.umn.edu/equinegenetic...arch/index.htm

What about horses who are NOT fat but who have still been diagnosed with EMS? It's the wording of the control group that got me - I see where you're trying to establish a NON-EMS group but I was confused about the profile, since a horse doesn't have to be fat to have EMS.

Not sure if I am interested in participating (not sure if I could find a control on our property! :P) but interesting study.

That is very true (don't have to be fat to have EMS) and non-fat horses that may have EMS are welcome and encouraged to apply as well!

If you are at all interested, please fill out the survey. Filling out the survey is not a committment to participate. If your horse is selected to participate you will receive more information and at that point you can decide if you want to go ahead with the study. However, besides the time committment to take some measurements and the vet call to have blood collected (which you can do at any regular appointment where he/she might be visiting the farm anyway), you will receive a great deal of information about your horse and the feed he/she is getting - and contribute to research.

We greatly appreciate everyone who is involved!!

I tried......signed up went through the whole process.....got accepted only to be told they would not ship to Canada....it was too expensive to ship accross the border.

It would be nice if the study mentioned it is not open for Canadians due to shipping costs.

Dalemma

I tried, sent off all of my measurements and photos months ago, but my horse was fairly well-controlled at the time and since I haven't heard anything yet, I assume was not chosen

Pookah,
    You should be contacted either way if you are/aren't chosen for the study. Please email eqms@umn.edu with your info to get it sorted out.

I lost a horse last year that had EMS. By the time we caught it he has already developed laminitis. After a 3 month battle his coffin bone sunk and he had to be euthanized at the young age of 6 years old. I am totally devastated I am so happy to see that there is so much research going into EMS.

I thankfully do not have any horses that have EMS although my geldings mother who passed away is an easy keeper. I have had her tested and she seems to be negative. I filled out the survey for my mare. I would love to be part of something like this.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010