The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2000
    Location
    Southern Pines, N.C.
    Posts
    11,422

    Default Saving Horses From Slaughter

    Everyone who participates in this noble effort is a Saint. Some do it actively, some through donations, some by organizing and facilitating rescues.

    I don't know how many of you know that COTH's own Fred, (owner of the lovely stallion, A Fine Romance -- not advertising, but to put her in context ) is married to the singer/guitarist Garnet Rogers.

    He wrote a song called "Small Victory" about a mare they rescued from slaughter, and sings it to audiences up and down the east coast wherever he makes appearances.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0c3g...eature=related

    He can raise awareness of the problem of unwanted racehorses and the horrible fate which can befall them, more often and more intimately than advertisements or pleas, which either do not instill enough emotion to cause people to react, or are (of necessity) already preaching to the choir.

    He draws a picture of the value of saving a life, which moves one (i.e. me) to tears..

    Fred doesn't know I am posting this (she will probably be embarrassed to see it...), but I thought that Garnet's song was worth hearing.

    PS: If you should want to see Garnet in a coffee house atmosphere when he comes to a town near you, I bet that Fred could tell you his schedule.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2002
    Location
    Dungeon of the Ivory Tower
    Posts
    20,394

    Default

    I have also heard the song, and what a wonderful way to raise awareness, even though it makes me cry when I hear it.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,341

    Default

    Wonderful song - brings tears to my eyes.

    But did anyone notice the comments from the guy who uploaded the video in the OP's link? Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Wonderful song - brings tears to my eyes.

    But did anyone notice the comments from the guy who uploaded the video in the OP's link? Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.
    Being pro-slaughter does not mean you are an evil ogre...
    The song came up on OT day. I liked it, too, turned it off before the floodworks set in tho
    It's a great song. Simple as that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2000
    Location
    Southern Pines, N.C.
    Posts
    11,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Wonderful song - brings tears to my eyes.

    But did anyone notice the comments from the guy who uploaded the video in the OP's link? Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.
    I didn't see anyone else on the video. Just Garnet talking about what led up to writing the song and then singing the song.

    -- And, sorry if this is redundant. I missed the OT day thread.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I didn't see anyone else on the video. Just Garnet talking about what led up to writing the song and then singing the song.

    -- And, sorry if this is redundant. I missed the OT day thread.
    It was buried in a thread about music, easy to miss and we don't mind a good song
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I didn't see anyone else on the video. Just Garnet talking about what led up to writing the song and then singing the song.

    -- And, sorry if this is redundant. I missed the OT day thread.
    No - the pro-slaughter remarks aren't in the vid itself, but in the posted comments. They're made by the guy who posted the video.

    I agree it doesn't mean he's an evil person - I just found it sort of an ironic coincidence given the thread title.

    Anyway, it's a great song and right from the heart.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    39,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    No - the pro-slaughter remarks aren't in the vid itself, but in the posted comments. They're made by the guy who posted the video.

    I agree it doesn't mean he's an evil person - I just found it sort of an ironic coincidence given the thread title.

    Anyway, it's a great song and right from the heart.
    Pro slaughter people are not any more evil than horse breeders, as that singer seems to be, that are contributing to the horse oversupply:

    ---"I don't know how many of you know that COTH's own Fred, (owner of the lovely stallion, A Fine Romance -- not advertising, but to put her in context ) is married to the singer/guitarist Garnet Rogers."---



    Each one of us come to the opinions we hold and how we go about our horse lives for our own reasons, or no reason.
    Our stances on different issues don't mean much about how evil or holy we may be.
    You need more data before extrapolating there.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.
    Pro-slaughter is like saying someone is "pro abortion". It makes it seem like we are in favour of all babies never being born and all horses going to slaughter.

    How about pro-choice?

    NJR



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,341

    Default

    Okay, okay - it was an innocent observation about a perceived bit of irony, not a commentary about which side is right! The thread title is "Saving horses from slaughter".

    I found it ironic, that's all. I suppose my "pro-slaughter" choice of words was a poor one.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 11, 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Well, I don't think it's necessarily ironic - I'd label myself as 'pro-slaughter', but I love seeing people give horses a new lease on life, and I'd like to retrain an OTTB someday.

    Anyways, I'll keep my lips zipped cause this isn't the place for a slaughter argument. It's a beautiful song and doesn't need to be marred by a trainwreck. (though I hear the bells a-whistlin')



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,371

    Thumbs up

    thank you LordHelpus for posting about Garnet's song.
    and thank you to the people who have made positive comments about it.

    The song is about love and determination and the value and beauty of things beyond money.
    Precious beyond jewels.

    He wrote that song for me, never really thinking that he would play it on stage, or that other people would like it, or 'get it'.

    Yet, it has been his most enduring song - he does it every show, and it is his most requested song.

    After all these years, I start to cry at the opening bars of music... and if I am in an audience, I am not alone.
    But it is not a sad song - moving and emotional heartfelt but not sad.

    That beautiful mare went on to have three precious foals for me. Coming into my life she changed my life for ever.
    Although she has been dead for years now, she lives on in her foals, and their foals... and in the song.

    I am hoping that what LH intended as a kind and positive thread, will not be taken 'off course' into yet another fight about the pros and cons of slaughter.

    thank you again LH, and thank you for the kind words.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    Lucama, NC
    Posts
    5,868

    Default

    SLaughter has its place, but it doesn't mean those of us that think that don't try and keep horses from that fate! I have bought many a horse at "slaughter auctions" thru the years and given them a new lease on life!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    thank you LordHelpus for posting about Garnet's song.
    and thank you to the people who have made positive comments about it.

    The song is about love and determination and the value and beauty of things beyond money.
    Precious beyond jewels.

    He wrote that song for me, never really thinking that he would play it on stage, or that other people would like it, or 'get it'.

    Yet, it has been his most enduring song - he does it every show, and it is his most requested song.

    After all these years, I start to cry at the opening bars of music... and if I am in an audience, I am not alone.
    But it is not a sad song - moving and emotional heartfelt but not sad.

    That beautiful mare went on to have three precious foals for me. Coming into my life she changed my life for ever.
    Although she has been dead for years now, she lives on in her foals, and their foals... and in the song.

    I am hoping that what LH intended as a kind and positive thread, will not be taken 'off course' into yet another fight about the pros and cons of slaughter.

    thank you again LH, and thank you for the kind words.

    Thank you for the "inside story" on the horse who inspired the song!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2009
    Posts
    800

    Default

    What a wonderful heart, Garnet has. He is truly following his heart and not his head. What a gifted expiences he is sharing and giving.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2003
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    thank you LordHelpus for posting about Garnet's song.
    and thank you to the people who have made positive comments about it.

    The song is about love and determination and the value and beauty of things beyond money.
    Precious beyond jewels.

    He wrote that song for me, never really thinking that he would play it on stage, or that other people would like it, or 'get it'.

    Yet, it has been his most enduring song - he does it every show, and it is his most requested song.

    After all these years, I start to cry at the opening bars of music... and if I am in an audience, I am not alone.
    But it is not a sad song - moving and emotional heartfelt but not sad.

    That beautiful mare went on to have three precious foals for me. Coming into my life she changed my life for ever.
    Although she has been dead for years now, she lives on in her foals, and their foals... and in the song.

    I am hoping that what LH intended as a kind and positive thread, will not be taken 'off course' into yet another fight about the pros and cons of slaughter.

    thank you again LH, and thank you for the kind words.
    I love that song and love Garnet's voice, I never realized that he was your husband. He is a talented man and the fact that he wrote that song for you makes that song even more special to me.

    By any chance, do you have any photos of the mare that inspired that song or photos of her foals? I am sure that many here would love if you could share that or what her name was. Not even her JC name really, but rather the name that you two gave her is what I would love to know.

    Please thank Garnet for his wonderful song from a fan in NJ.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    What a wonderful heart, Garnet has. He is truly following his heart and not his head. What a gifted experiences he is sharing and giving.
    Thank you HealingHeart.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    I love that song and love Garnet's voice, I never realized that he was your husband. He is a talented man and the fact that he wrote that song for you makes that song even more special to me.

    By any chance, do you have any photos of the mare that inspired that song or photos of her foals? I am sure that many here would love if you could share that or what her name was. Not even her JC name really, but rather the name that you two gave her is what I would love to know.

    Please thank Garnet for his wonderful song from a fan in NJ.
    Thank you ADM! and thank you Mara.

    Music, poetry, art - it may be inspired by something in the artist's life and experiences, and it is written to express his or her thoughts and feelings.
    But in the act of hearing, or reading - the person who hears the music brings her own thoughts and interpretations and experiences.

    In this case the song was inspired by something that actually happened, and it tells a story. It was inspired by one specific horse and 'what happened then', but it is not absolutely literal.
    Songs are something like snapshots, capturing a moment, but what you see, what you feel, is part of who you are.

    If you have your morning coffee, here is the whole story: warning, it's long.

    A year earlier I had bought a 3 yr old colt off the track. When we went to pick him up he was at his home farm. The owner wanted me to buy the mare, his dam, since in his words the colt 'was not a horse for a girl'. The mare was barren -he had tried breeding the mare for the last 4 yrs and spent many thousands of dollars in vets and day care. I wanted a young, potential performance horse, and did not want a 14 yr old barren, lame mare.
    But then I saw her.
    And the memory of my first sight of her still brings tears to my eyes. She was, simply, to me the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, the epitome of the elegance, athleticism and nobility of the Thoroughbred horse.
    But we lived in the city, I was already paying board on one horse - I could not afford to buy her.

    But I couldn't forget her either.
    I called friends who were breeders. The colt I bought was an extraordinary athlete, and I thought the mare was worth taking a chance.
    But more, the image of her was burned on my heart, and I just couldn't stop thinking and worrying about her.

    A year later the Woodbine Mixed Sale catalogue arrived in the mail.
    I immediately looked for her there. And there she was 1969 mare Two Bitter by Pluck by Double Jay out of Nut Brown Maid by Nasrullah, and out of Windy Fay by Windfields.
    She was not just a beautiful mare, but a well-bred mare. The pedigree page told more of her story - 61 starts 2 to 5. Later I found that she had won her first race before her 2nd birthday.

    I handed the sales catalogue open at her page to my young non-horsey husband.
    He said: "I guess we better go get her then".

    She had been bred again and as is customary in race sales catalogues the bottom line says bred to and believed in foal.
    This was the heyday of astronomical TB prices, and it had trickled down to all levels.
    If she was indeed in foal, with her pedigree and quality, we would not be able to afford her. But if she had been bred again, and was once again not in foal, it was one more strike against her.

    The day of the sale arrived, a terrible early winter storm. I was shivering and sick with cold and nerves. We had taken what little savings we had out of the bank, and as we drove to the sale I was thinking what else we could sell to buy her.

    The handler brought her out of the stall to show her, and she was thin, her coat rough and staring, a huge scar on her barrel, and lame. But still so noble, so beautiful.

    The auction area is quite fancy, the horse is led out of the walking area onto a small raised platform roped off with velvet ropes, and the audience sits in raked seats, like an ampitheatre.
    She was early in the sale - led out, she blinked at the lights, and was led in a small circle, quite lame, her large scar visible to the audience. She was declared Not in Foal.
    The bidding actually started fast. I was frozen with anxiety - but my amateur husband stepped in.

    and when the hammer fell - she was ours.

    She cost us every penny we had. Not all that much, but everything we had.
    And she changed our lives forever.

    Now that we were boarding three horses, we decided to buy a farm.....
    And our mare? She got in foal, and gave us three beautiful foals, Lucy, Cricket and Fred. All of whom have lived their lives with us.
    The foal in the song is Lucy.
    And she was not born unattended - that is artistic license.

    For me she was the template of all that is beautiful about the Thoroughbred horse. I would stand and stare at her, watch her eat, always stunned by her beauty, by the golden dapples blooming through her dark coat, the calm look in her eye.

    She is buried on our farm, beneath the shady tree that we promised her.
    And every foal that is born, her 'grandbaby' - I look to see her - that exquisite head, the beauty, the athleticism, the nobility and that brave, kind heart.
    All of them 'small victories'.

    thanks for reading and listening to our story
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Thank you ADM! and thank you Mara.

    Music, poetry, art - it may be inspired by something in the artist's life and experiences, and it is written to express his or her thoughts and feelings.
    But in the act of hearing, or reading - the person who hears the music brings her own thoughts and interpretations and experiences.

    In this case the song was inspired by something that actually happened, and it tells a story. It was inspired by one specific horse and 'what happened then', but it is not absolutely literal.
    Songs are something like snapshots, capturing a moment, but what you see, what you feel, is part of who you are.

    If you have your morning coffee, here is the whole story: warning, it's long.

    A year earlier I had bought a 3 yr old colt off the track. When we went to pick him up he was at his home farm. The owner wanted me to buy the mare, his dam, since in his words the colt 'was not a horse for a girl'. The mare was barren -he had tried breeding the mare for the last 4 yrs and spent many thousands of dollars in vets and day care. I wanted a young, potential performance horse, and did not want a 14 yr old barren, lame mare.
    But then I saw her.
    And the memory of my first sight of her still brings tears to my eyes. She was, simply, to me the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, the epitome of the elegance, athleticism and nobility of the Thoroughbred horse.
    But we lived in the city, I was already paying board on one horse - I could not afford to buy her.

    But I couldn't forget her either.
    I called friends who were breeders. The colt I bought was an extraordinary athlete, and I thought the mare was worth taking a chance.
    But more, the image of her was burned on my heart, and I just couldn't stop thinking and worrying about her.

    A year later the Woodbine Mixed Sale catalogue arrived in the mail.
    I immediately looked for her there. And there she was 1969 mare Two Bitter by Pluck by Double Jay out of Nut Brown Maid by Nasrullah, and out of Windy Fay by Nasrullah.
    She was not just a beautiful mare, but a well-bred mare. The pedigree page told more of her story - 61 starts 2 to 5. Later I found that she had won her first race before her 2nd birthday.

    I handed the sales catalogue open at her page to my young non-horsey husband.
    He said: "I guess we better go get her then".

    She had been bred again and as is customary in race sales catalogues the bottom line says bred to and believed in foal.
    This was the heyday of astronomical TB prices, and it had trickled down to all levels.
    If she was indeed in foal, with her pedigree and quality, we would not be able to afford her. But if she had been bred again, and was once again not in foal, it was one more strike against her.

    The day of the sale arrived, a terrible early winter storm. I was shivering and sick with cold and nerves. We had taken what little savings we had out of the bank, and as we drove to the sale I was thinking what else we could sell to buy her.

    The handler brought her out of the stall to show her, and she was thin, her coat rough and staring, a huge scar on her barrel, and lame. But still so noble, so beautiful.

    The auction area is quite fancy, the horse is led out of the walking area onto a small raised platform roped off with velvet ropes, and the audience sits in raked seats, like an ampitheatre.
    She was early in the sale - led out, she blinked at the lights, and was led in a small circle, quite lame, her large scar visible to the audience. She was declared Not in Foal.
    The bidding actually started fast. I was frozen with anxiety - but my amateur husband stepped in.

    and when the hammer fell - she was ours.

    She cost us every penny we had. Not all that much, but everything we had.
    And she changed our lives forever.

    Now that we were boarding three horses, we decided to buy a farm.....
    And our mare? She got in foal, and gave us three beautiful foals, Lucy, Cricket and Fred. All of whom have lived their lives with us.

    For me she was the template of all that is beautiful about the Thoroughbred horse. I would stand and stare at her, watch her eat, always stunned by her beauty, by the golden dapples blooming through her dark coat, the calm look in her eye.

    She is buried on our farm, beneath the shady tree that we promised her.
    And every foal that is born, her 'grandbaby' - I look to see her - that exquisite head, the beauty, the athleticism, the nobility and that brave, kind heart.
    All of them 'small victories'.

    thanks for reading and listening to our story
    What a way to start a week

    Thank you for sharing your special girl with us.
    Last edited by Alagirl; Jan. 24, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Fixing Monday morning brainfart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,371

    Default

    thank you Alagirl
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!



Similar Threads

  1. What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses?
    By msrobin in forum Off Course
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: Mar. 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
  2. Saving Horses ~ A New Niche Market?
    By Kyzteke in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun. 17, 2011, 02:20 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2009, 10:00 PM
  4. Do 1/2 of Sugarcreeks horses go to slaughter?
    By RU2U in forum Off Course
    Replies: 408
    Last Post: May. 4, 2007, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •