The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Saving Horses From Slaughter

Everyone who participates in this noble effort is a Saint. Some do it actively, some through donations, some by organizing and facilitating rescues.

I don't know how many of you know that COTH's own Fred, (owner of the lovely stallion, A Fine Romance -- not advertising, but to put her in context ) is married to the singer/guitarist Garnet Rogers.

He wrote a song called "Small Victory" about a mare they rescued from slaughter, and sings it to audiences up and down the east coast wherever he makes appearances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0c3g...eature=related

He can raise awareness of the problem of unwanted racehorses and the horrible fate which can befall them, more often and more intimately than advertisements or pleas, which either do not instill enough emotion to cause people to react, or are (of necessity) already preaching to the choir.

He draws a picture of the value of saving a life, which moves one (i.e. me) to tears..

Fred doesn't know I am posting this (she will probably be embarrassed to see it...), but I thought that Garnet's song was worth hearing.

PS: If you should want to see Garnet in a coffee house atmosphere when he comes to a town near you, I bet that Fred could tell you his schedule.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I have also heard the song, and what a wonderful way to raise awareness, even though it makes me cry when I hear it.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Wonderful song - brings tears to my eyes.

But did anyone notice the comments from the guy who uploaded the video in the OP's link? Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

But did anyone notice the comments from the guy who uploaded the video in the OP's link? Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.
    Being pro-slaughter does not mean you are an evil ogre...
    The song came up on OT day. I liked it, too, turned it off before the floodworks set in tho
    It's a great song. Simple as that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I didn't see anyone else on the video. Just Garnet talking about what led up to writing the song and then singing the song.

-- And, sorry if this is redundant. I missed the OT day thread.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I didn't see anyone else on the video. Just Garnet talking about what led up to writing the song and then singing the song.

It was buried in a thread about music, easy to miss and we don't mind a good song
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post

No - the pro-slaughter remarks aren't in the vid itself, but in the posted comments. They're made by the guy who posted the video.

I agree it doesn't mean he's an evil person - I just found it sort of an ironic coincidence given the thread title.

Anyway, it's a great song and right from the heart.

No - the pro-slaughter remarks aren't in the vid itself, but in the posted comments. They're made by the guy who posted the video.

I agree it doesn't mean he's an evil person - I just found it sort of an ironic coincidence given the thread title.

Anyway, it's a great song and right from the heart.
    Pro slaughter people are not any more evil than horse breeders, as that singer seems to be, that are contributing to the horse oversupply:

---"I don't know how many of you know that COTH's own Fred, (owner of the lovely stallion, A Fine Romance -- not advertising, but to put her in context ) is married to the singer/guitarist Garnet Rogers."---

Each one of us come to the opinions we hold and how we go about our horse lives for our own reasons, or no reason.
    Our stances on different issues don't mean much about how evil or holy we may be.
    You need more data before extrapolating there.

Ironically, he's pro-slaughter - he just likes the song.
    Pro-slaughter is like saying someone is "pro abortion". It makes it seem like we are in favour of all babies never being born and all horses going to slaughter.

How about pro-choice?

NJR

Okay, okay - it was an innocent observation about a perceived bit of irony, not a commentary about which side is right! The thread title is "Saving horses from slaughter".

I found it ironic, that's all. I suppose my "pro-slaughter" choice of words was a poor one.

Well, I don't think it's necessarily ironic - I'd label myself as 'pro-slaughter', but I love seeing people give horses a new lease on life, and I'd like to retrain an OTTB someday.

Anyways, I'll keep my lips zipped cause this isn't the place for a slaughter argument. It's a beautiful song and doesn't need to be marred by a trainwreck. (though I hear the bells a-whistlin')

Thumbs up

thank you LordHelpus for posting about Garnet's song.
    and thank you to the people who have made positive comments about it.

The song is about love and determination and the value and beauty of things beyond money.
    Precious beyond jewels.

He wrote that song for me, never really thinking that he would play it on stage, or that other people would like it, or 'get it'.

Yet, it has been his most enduring song - he does it every show, and it is his most requested song.

After all these years, I start to cry at the opening bars of music... and if I am in an audience, I am not alone.
    But it is not a sad song - moving and emotional heartfelt but not sad.

That beautiful mare went on to have three precious foals for me. Coming into my life she changed my life for ever.
    Although she has been dead for years now, she lives on in her foals, and their foals... and in the song.

I am hoping that what LH intended as a kind and positive thread, will not be taken 'off course' into yet another fight about the pros and cons of slaughter.

thank you again LH, and thank you for the kind words.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

SLaughter has its place, but it doesn't mean those of us that think that don't try and keep horses from that fate! I have bought many a horse at "slaughter auctions" thru the years and given them a new lease on life!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post

The song is about love and determination and the value and beauty of things beyond money.
    Precious beyond jewels.

He wrote that song for me, never really thinking that he would play it on stage, or that other people would like it, or 'get it'.

Yet, it has been his most enduring song - he does it every show, and it is his most requested song.

After all these years, I start to cry at the opening bars of music... and if I am in an audience, I am not alone.

That beautiful mare went on to have three precious foals for me. Coming into my life she changed my life for ever.
    Although she has been dead for years now, she lives on in her foals, and their foals... and in the song.

I am hoping that what LH intended as a kind and positive thread, will not be taken 'off course' into yet another fight about the pros and cons of slaughter.

Thank you for the "inside story" on the horse who inspired the song!

What a wonderful heart, Garnet has. He is truly following his heart and not his head. What a gifted expiences he is sharing and giving.

Precious beyond jewels.

I love that song and love Garnet's voice, I never realized that he was your husband. He is a talented man and the fact that he wrote that song for you makes that song even more special to me.

By any chance, do you have any photos of the mare that inspired that song or photos of her foals? I am sure that many here would love if you could share that or what her name was. Not even her JC name really, but rather the name that you two gave her is what I would love to know.

Please thank Garnet for his wonderful song from a fan in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by HealingHeart View Post
    What a wonderful heart, Garnet has. He is truly following his heart and not his head. What a gifted experiences he is sharing and giving.
    Thank you HealingHeart.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    I love that song and love Garnet's voice, I never realized that he was your husband. He is a talented man and the fact that he wrote that song for you makes that song even more special to me.

By any chance, do you have any photos of the mare that inspired that song or photos of her foals? I am sure that many here would love if you could share that or what her name was. Not even her JC name really, but rather the name that you two gave her is what I would love to know.

Please thank Garnet for his wonderful song from a fan in NJ.
    Thank you ADM! and thank you Mara.

Music, poetry, art - it may be inspired by something in the artist's life and experiences, and it is written to express his or her thoughts and feelings.
    But in the act of hearing, or reading - the person who hears the music brings her own thoughts and interpretations and experiences.

In this case the song was inspired by something that actually happened, and it tells a story. It was inspired by one specific horse and 'what happened then', but it is not absolutely literal.
    Songs are something like snapshots, capturing a moment, but what you see, what you feel, is part of who you are.

If you have your morning coffee, here is the whole story: warning, it's long.

A year earlier I had bought a 3 yr old colt off the track. When we went to pick him up he was at his home farm. The owner wanted me to buy the mare, his dam, since in his words the colt 'was not a horse for a girl'. The mare was barren -he had tried breeding the mare for the last 4 yrs and spent many thousands of dollars in vets and day care. I wanted a young, potential performance horse, and did not want a 14 yr old barren, lame mare.
    But then I saw her.
    And the memory of my first sight of her still brings tears to my eyes. She was, simply, to me the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, the epitome of the elegance, athleticism and nobility of the Thoroughbred horse.
    But we lived in the city, I was already paying board on one horse - I could not afford to buy her.

But I couldn't forget her either.
    I called friends who were breeders. The colt I bought was an extraordinary athlete, and I thought the mare was worth taking a chance.
    But more, the image of her was burned on my heart, and I just couldn't stop thinking and worrying about her.

A year later the Woodbine Mixed Sale catalogue arrived in the mail.
    I immediately looked for her there. And there she was 1969 mare Two Bitter by Pluck by Double Jay out of Nut Brown Maid by Nasrullah, and out of Windy Fay by Windfields.
    She was not just a beautiful mare, but a well-bred mare. The pedigree page told more of her story - 61 starts 2 to 5. Later I found that she had won her first race before her 2nd birthday.

I handed the sales catalogue open at her page to my young non-horsey husband.
    He said: "I guess we better go get her then".

She had been bred again and as is customary in race sales catalogues the bottom line says bred to and believed in foal.
    This was the heyday of astronomical TB prices, and it had trickled down to all levels.
    If she was indeed in foal, with her pedigree and quality, we would not be able to afford her. But if she had been bred again, and was once again not in foal, it was one more strike against her.

The day of the sale arrived, a terrible early winter storm. I was shivering and sick with cold and nerves. We had taken what little savings we had out of the bank, and as we drove to the sale I was thinking what else we could sell to buy her.

The handler brought her out of the stall to show her, and she was thin, her coat rough and staring, a huge scar on her barrel, and lame. But still so noble, so beautiful.

The auction area is quite fancy, the horse is led out of the walking area onto a small raised platform roped off with velvet ropes, and the audience sits in raked seats, like an ampitheatre.
    She was early in the sale - led out, she blinked at the lights, and was led in a small circle, quite lame, her large scar visible to the audience. She was declared Not in Foal.
    The bidding actually started fast. I was frozen with anxiety - but my amateur husband stepped in.

and when the hammer fell - she was ours.

She cost us every penny we had. Not all that much, but everything we had.
    And she changed our lives forever.

Now that we were boarding three horses, we decided to buy a farm.....
    And our mare? She got in foal, and gave us three beautiful foals, Lucy, Cricket and Fred. All of whom have lived their lives with us.
    The foal in the song is Lucy.
    And she was not born unattended - that is artistic license.

For me she was the template of all that is beautiful about the Thoroughbred horse. I would stand and stare at her, watch her eat, always stunned by her beauty, by the golden dapples blooming through her dark coat, the calm look in her eye.

She is buried on our farm, beneath the shady tree that we promised her.
    And every foal that is born, her 'grandbaby' - I look to see her - that exquisite head, the beauty, the athleticism, the nobility and that brave, kind heart.
    All of them 'small victories'.

thanks for reading and listening to our story

Thank you ADM! and thank you Mara.

Music, poetry, art - it may be inspired by something in the artist's life and experiences, and it is written to express his or her thoughts and feelings.
    But in the act of hearing, or reading - the person who hears the music brings her own thoughts and interpretations and experiences.

In this case the song was inspired by something that actually happened, and it tells a story. It was inspired by one specific horse and 'what happened then', but it is not absolutely literal.
    Songs are something like snapshots, capturing a moment, but what you see, what you feel, is part of who you are.

If you have your morning coffee, here is the whole story: warning, it's long.

A year earlier I had bought a 3 yr old colt off the track. When we went to pick him up he was at his home farm. The owner wanted me to buy the mare, his dam, since in his words the colt 'was not a horse for a girl'. The mare was barren -he had tried breeding the mare for the last 4 yrs and spent many thousands of dollars in vets and day care. I wanted a young, potential performance horse, and did not want a 14 yr old barren, lame mare.
    But then I saw her.
    And the memory of my first sight of her still brings tears to my eyes. She was, simply, to me the most beautiful horse I had ever seen, the epitome of the elegance, athleticism and nobility of the Thoroughbred horse.
    But we lived in the city, I was already paying board on one horse - I could not afford to buy her.

But I couldn't forget her either.
    I called friends who were breeders. The colt I bought was an extraordinary athlete, and I thought the mare was worth taking a chance.
    But more, the image of her was burned on my heart, and I just couldn't stop thinking and worrying about her.

A year later the Woodbine Mixed Sale catalogue arrived in the mail.
    I immediately looked for her there. And there she was 1969 mare Two Bitter by Pluck by Double Jay out of Nut Brown Maid by Nasrullah, and out of Windy Fay by Nasrullah.
    She was not just a beautiful mare, but a well-bred mare. The pedigree page told more of her story - 61 starts 2 to 5. Later I found that she had won her first race before her 2nd birthday.

I handed the sales catalogue open at her page to my young non-horsey husband.
    He said: "I guess we better go get her then".

She had been bred again and as is customary in race sales catalogues the bottom line says bred to and believed in foal.
    This was the heyday of astronomical TB prices, and it had trickled down to all levels.
    If she was indeed in foal, with her pedigree and quality, we would not be able to afford her. But if she had been bred again, and was once again not in foal, it was one more strike against her.

The day of the sale arrived, a terrible early winter storm. I was shivering and sick with cold and nerves. We had taken what little savings we had out of the bank, and as we drove to the sale I was thinking what else we could sell to buy her.

The handler brought her out of the stall to show her, and she was thin, her coat rough and staring, a huge scar on her barrel, and lame. But still so noble, so beautiful.

The auction area is quite fancy, the horse is led out of the walking area onto a small raised platform roped off with velvet ropes, and the audience sits in raked seats, like an ampitheatre.
    She was early in the sale - led out, she blinked at the lights, and was led in a small circle, quite lame, her large scar visible to the audience. She was declared Not in Foal.
    The bidding actually started fast. I was frozen with anxiety - but my amateur husband stepped in.

and when the hammer fell - she was ours.

She cost us every penny we had. Not all that much, but everything we had.
    And she changed our lives forever.

Now that we were boarding three horses, we decided to buy a farm.....
    And our mare? She got in foal, and gave us three beautiful foals, Lucy, Cricket and Fred. All of whom have lived their lives with us.

For me she was the template of all that is beautiful about the Thoroughbred horse. I would stand and stare at her, watch her eat, always stunned by her beauty, by the golden dapples blooming through her dark coat, the calm look in her eye.

She is buried on our farm, beneath the shady tree that we promised her.
    And every foal that is born, her 'grandbaby' - I look to see her - that exquisite head, the beauty, the athleticism, the nobility and that brave, kind heart.
    All of them 'small victories'.

thanks for reading and listening to our story
    What a way to start a week

Thank you for sharing your special girl with us.
    Last edited by Alagirl; Jan. 24, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Fixing Monday morning brainfart...

thank you Alagirl