The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Two wrestling(???) foxes in my backyard!

There they were this morning, rolling around, jumping on each other, etc. Two foxes! Here in Rural-Urbia!

My dog saw them before I did and ran over before I could stop him. They barely noticed him, just kept on playing (or whatever it was that they were doing).

Eventually they dashed away, elbowing each other like teenaged boys as they ran, disappearing into the back woods.

They are beautiful but does it sound weird that they didn't seem concerned about me or my dog being there (me about 15-20 yards away, my dog right next to them!)?

Sounds more like a mating pair. I had a fox almost run into my leg one morning while I was out haying, he was so intent on chasing the female. Love, it's like no one else exists!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Gray foxes here and when I do see them they seem more concerned about their stomachs than about me. I've been just 5 feet away from one before. I was a little nervous at first (this is a wild animal, right? isn't he supposed to be acting wild?), but he was acting perfectly normal and soon went on his way.

It's their mating season. Soon the vixen will be denning up.

Starting around late December (ish), it's normal to see foxes running in pairs (braces). It's also normal to see several males trying to court a female at one time.

The males leave their territory in search of a female, so you may see what might appear to be odd behavior, or see foxes where or when you don't normally see them.

They're just lookin' for love in all the wrong places. har har
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Very cool!!! I saw a big red running down the street and into the woods Love the foxes

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    It's their mating season. Soon the vixen will be denning up.

Starting around late December (ish), it's normal to see foxes running in pairs (braces). It's also normal to see several males trying to court a female at one time.

The males leave their territory in search of a female, so you may see what might appear to be odd behavior, or see foxes where or when you don't normally see them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    Sounds more like a mating pair. I had a fox almost run into my leg one morning while I was out haying, he was so intent on chasing the female. Love, it's like no one else exists!
    LOL, there was a certain level of, um, intensity to their activity, well explained now, I think!

It has been so bitter cold here for what seems like forever, but a nice reminder that spring is on the way! Thanks guys :-)

Yes- it is mating season for fox. Cub are born in spring...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by shygirl View Post
    There they were this morning, rolling around, jumping on each other, etc. Two foxes! Here in Rural-Urbia!

My dog saw them before I did and ran over before I could stop him. They barely noticed him, just kept on playing (or whatever it was that they were doing).

Eventually they dashed away, elbowing each other like teenaged boys as they ran, disappearing into the back woods.

They are beautiful but does it sound weird that they didn't seem concerned about me or my dog being there (me about 15-20 yards away, my dog right next to them!)?

I am reminded of an old story.

In France.

Three young boys were walking down the street when they passed this open window.

The youngest, 5, said " Look, look. That man and woman are fighting.

The 7 year old said "No, they are not fighting, they are making love".

And the 10 year old said "And very very badly."

How old are you?

In most areas, breeding season for red fox is December.

However, they still "hang out" together.

CSSJR