The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone heard of this guy before?

I'm not sure if it's allowed on these boards to ask about specific individuals/barns by name, so just let me know if it's not and I'll remove all names.

Has anyone heard of a guy named David Bonner? Or a farm with the name Akofa (not sure on the spelling, and not sure that the name is entirely correct either) in it?

I'm located in NC, and today someone came by the barn inquiring about a stallion my trainer owns. This horse is a Swedish warmblood 3 year old colt, and apparently the guy's brother-in-law lives behind the barn (his property backs up to the pasture the colt is in) and told the guy that he really needs to come take a look at the colt and make an offer on him. He's for sale already (though he didn't know this when he came over). The guy is interested in racing him. The whole situation sounds too good to be true, but at the same time the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about horses. He mentioned that he has an appendix and he's raced with AQHA before and also showed interest in another horse we have in training who's also an appendix and also for sale.

He asked my trainer if she was negotiable on the sale price, and offered her $500 less than what she has him listed at. Then he said he wanted to race him in Louisiana and wants to give her 7% of his earnings - then said he'd go ahead and pay the full price on him and he wants to pick him up a week from tomorrow.

So, the whole situation sounds kind of fishy, but the guy also seems to know what he's talking about as well. We tried looking up his name and his farm name, but based on the information we have, he doesn't exist online. So, have any of you guys heard of this guy?

We are located near Raleigh, NC...and the guy said he was located in Louisburg, NC.

Thanks!

Default Huh?

Um, this guy wants to race a Swedish warmblood 3 year old colt? Does this set off any bells? You need a Thoroughbred for flat racing, hurdling, and steeplechasing, and a Standardbred for trotting and pacing. American Quarter Horses are also raced, along with mules, Paints, Appaloosas and Arabs.

But Swedish Warmbloods racing? Never heard of it.

Beware.

Hallie I. McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

That's what we were afraid of...and also why we tried researching him and why I'm interested to know if anyone else has heard of him before.

He definitely sounded like he knew what he was talking about, except for the fact that it just seems odd that he's interested in a warmblood for racing and that he not only agreed to pay the full price (after earlier negotiating a lower price), but is offering to give her a percent of his earnings?

A couple of other things I forgot to mention that I just remembered:
    -he also expressed interest in sending his horse to my instructor for training (in what discipline I'm not sure)
    -he mentioned something about round track racing (I think that's what it was called at least). I tried googling 'round track racing' and only came up with auto racing information. Does this exist? If so, what is it exactly?

It was a busy day (we had a live burn that lasted all day - the owners are burning their house/building a new one) so it was very crazy and hectic, and this horse has been on the market for awhile with minimal interest so far and we were all just kind of shocked that someone showed that much interest in him out of nowhere.

Thanks again!

Listen to Haligator. There is no sanctioned racing for "Swedish Warmbloods". Period. He's full of %&it! In fact, it could be a lot of fun to put him in touch with some of the COTHers who know racing better than the back of their hands! Maybe Glimmerglass or Laurierace could be your "agent" and get an earful of this guy's load o' crap!

Do not let him get his hands on this colt if you value the horse at all.

Listen to Haligator. There is no sanctioned racing for "Swedish Warmbloods". Period. He's full of %&it! In fact, it could be a lot of fun to put him in touch with some of the COTHers who know racing better than the back of their hands! Maybe Glimmerglass or Laurierace or Haligator could be your "agent" and get an earful of this guy's load o' crap!

Do not let him get his hands on this colt if you value the horse at all.

Insane! The guy is definitely not knowledgeable about racing. Swedish Warmbloods don't race. I guess the Appendix he is referring to is for Appendix QH. There isn't any appendix for thoroughbred flat racing.

He sounds like a con artist to me, and a bad one at that. He should have at least done some homework. I would be very, very careful as they might be setting you or your trainer up. Didn't he even ask about the bloodlines of the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown90 View Post
    Insane! The guy is definitely not knowledgeable about racing. Swedish Warmbloods don't race. I guess the Appendix he is referring to is for Appendix QH. There isn't any appendix for thoroughbred flat racing.

He sounds like a con artist to me, and a bad one at that. He should have at least done some homework. I would be very, very careful as they might be setting you or your trainer up. Didn't he even ask about the bloodlines of the horse?
    I didn't think there were any swedish warmblood races - but just wanted to double check my facts in case I missed something .

Yeah, this whole situation makes me uncomfortable. When I left today, she asked me and her husband (the 'can find any information on anything in the world in 2 seconds' type) to look up anything about this guy we could find. I don't know if he asked about his bloodlines or not. I didn't hear any of the conversation that took place between him and my trainer. The only information I have is what she told me after he left.

Could be nonsanctioned races just for betting. Don't they have some of that in Louisiana?

I remember seeing something about illegal slaughter in Florida that also mentioned local races for any horses they wanted to run. The connection was a horse that had been raced on a paved road and broke a front leg. They butchered him.
    Last edited by ptownevt; Jan. 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added info
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I remember the time I had someone tell me they were going to go capture a wild mustang and give them to me to race for them. Good luck with that! And no, you can't race a warmblood in the US. Can't say for sure that is true for the whole world but would bet that it is. The whole reason they bred in some of the draft blood was to slow them down.

Who wants to lay odds that this guy would try to give you a Cashier's Check for more than the purchase price and then ask you to wire him the difference so he can pay for transport?

The whole story really smacks of the "Advance Check" fee scam where you end up losing the "difference" because the Cashier's Check is a forgery.

Don't walk away - RUN!!!!!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

If you want to play this out...
    get to the point of money exchange and if its a cashiers check of any nature...

you could call the state police who would be glad to set this up to nab this person and put an end to his antics.

Myself and a neighbor here in Pa did get checks, bank was real, account was real, but it was empty....we just couldnt flush out the person. And our banks offered the suggestion to contact the state police.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

There is no racing for Swedish warmbloods!!

Get the make, model and license plate of his vehicle, take a good look at the guy so you can give an accurate description. Get his phone number and e-mail address if he has one. Tell him you will have the owner call him and tell him the owner could e-mail the horse's pedigree to him just so you can get them. Then google the phone numbers and e-mail address to find out what else he has been up to. He may be a known kill buyer. There is a list of them on alexbrownracing.com. I think they are listed by state.

Watch all the horses on the farm like a hawk. He may just have been "casing" the place. Does he know where the tack room is? He may be a thief wanting a good look around so he can come back an steal stuff.

I would call the police too. Just talk to them and tell them you thought this guy was very suspicious.

If the guy comes back I would discreetly have someone follow him when he leaves.

Be careful that he/they aren't scoping the farm for things to steal.

When I ran a boarding place I had a guy come out who looked fine at first (not seedy or creepy) and talked a pretty good game -- at first.

The longer I talked to him and looked at him, the more alarm bells went off. He was well dressed, but really gaunt and gray looking, with bad teeth. I know some people don't age well, but I thought he was 60 and he told me he was in his 40s. hen in talking about horses, the "wanting to board a couple horses" turned into moving here to compete a world champion registered QH stallion Olympic jumping horse. I live in the middle of nowhere as far as ANY competitive riding, with the possible exception of TWHs, so as he was taling about this big competitive horse, I was getting puzzled. Every time he added details it got worse and worse - I think he was trying to impress me, but it backfired. If he's just asked about boarding and lessons I wouldn't have noticed much. We're in a fairly rural area, and you see all kinds of folk here.

Long story short, I ran this by the dad of one of my students, who happened to be a cop. He said this is a fairly typical scenario for meth heads; spin a more or less plausible story with buzz words thrown around, get the grand tour and see what equipment is there, what the lay of the land is, see what's steal-able.

Be on your guard for a while, perhaps put a call in to the local police, see if there's anything similar going on in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    There is no racing for Swedish warmbloods!!
    Maybe he was thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXVY...eature=related

Scam Alert....all of the Above......or he's mental and just wanted to look at your horses.

Ummmm why hasn't anyone paid a courtesy call to the so called Brother-in-law whose property backs up to this farm??

Would be the most logical step to get to the bottom of this mystery??

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Scam Alert....all of the Above......or he's mental and just wanted to look at your horses.

Ummmm why hasn't anyone paid a courtesy call to the so called Brother-in-law whose property backs up to this farm??

Would be the most logical step to get to the bottom of this mystery??
    I've talked to my trainer (she's also the owner of this horse), and the guy gave her names/numbers of other (supposed) equine people in the area he knows or has done business with, and she's going to give them a call on Monday to see what they have to say about him.

And to whoever said to get the license number of his car, he actually walked over.

Giving names doesn't mean it's real. Con artists, or those trying to make a buck will give you names sometimes expecting you [I]won't[I]call.

I own a large piece of property - had an out-of-town logger drop by twice over the last three years giving me names of other nearby property owners whose land he had supposedly logged. I called - he lied.

It's easy enough for them to look up others, merely have a conversation (or try the same thing!) and then use them as reference. He's probably down the road passing your trainers name around now as well.

Did he say bush track instead of round track? Maybe they do offer plain old horse racing in parts of LA. Certainly not recognized and probably scary, but that's all I can think of!

Telephone references can be a scam too. Any one of this guy's cronies can answer the telephone and talk a good game. Don't forget that he is the person handing out the telephone numbers and references. You have to dig deeper than that.

Here's my suggestion. He said he raced Appendix Quarter Horses, correct? When I was trying to track down papers that was in possession of a trainer for one of my mares, I had to contact AQHA. They were very helpful in getting me information on the trainer's location and whereabouts. Trainers move frequently so that they can be in close proximity to the particular track where they are working, so finding this trainer wasn't easy. Even his ex-wife and adult children hadn't heard from him in years and didn't know where he was at. His own kids asked me to call them back if I was able to find him. Pretty funny in retrospect, but it was frustrating for me since I was just trying to track down my mare's papers. In any case, with the help of AQHA, I was able to find him quickly.

Here is a link to AQHA's racing affiliates listed by State who have a list of licensed trainers: http://www.aqha.com/Racing/Content-P...ffiliates.aspx

If there isn't an affiliate in your state, then contact AQHA who may be able to help you. They will be able to verify if this person's name is listed as a licensed trainer.

Sharon
    http://www.CoolFitWear.com

There is a LOT of "bush track" racing in NC, the latinos in this area are quite big in it. maybe that was what this person is associated with (which I believe is illegal)