The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff-Staying warm with a dress code!

I just switched barns, and while they don't have an official dress code...let's just say even the teenager mucking stalls and tacking up horses had on breeches and tall boots. Normally my "12* lesson attire" would be breeches UNDER jeans, paddock boots, suede half chaps, and like five layers on my upper body. I kind of like "dressing up" to go to the barn, so I really don't mind the breeches/tall boot/polo thing...but damn it's cold out!

So how the hell do you stay warm while still looking decent? Double points if I don't have to commit highway robbery to pay for it-I'm in college and lessoning at this barn is already a splurge.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I was out in Portland Oregon with GM...we were outside (just a covered ring) in 30* weather...with wind...it was COLD... 2 pairs of gloves... a cami type tank top, under armour top, long sleeve top, polo, sweater fleece jacket, north face jacket, scarf. 3 pairs of socks. i stayed pretty warm!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

I wear long johns under breeches, cotton long sleeved T shirt under a fitted sweater, under a fitted thinsulate vest, under a down puffy jacket for really cold days, or any combination thereof for cold by not so cold day. Fortunately, the puffy down jackets are pretty popular, and I find them to be super warm. I don't like to do a fleece jacket when its super cold because it isn't warm enough for a top layer, but I think it's too bulky to layer. But that's just me.

And, obviously, winter riding gloves and wool socks.

I have winter fleece-lined breeches--those are great. The TuffRider ones aren't the fanciest looking, but they're cheap and warm. Kerrits and Irideon make nicer quality ones, but more expensive. I wear long-johns or tights underneath for another layer. I also have the Middleburg fleece-lined tall boots, which are one of the cheaper winter tall boot options... if you have good winter paddock boots and want to wear half chaps, I think that can be fine as long as they're clean; just having winter breeches instead of jeans makes them look nicer. (:

On top I usually wear layers of thermal stuff under a wool turtleneck sweater... looks nicer and more put-together, and it's just one of my old Express sweaters from high school. I also splurged and bought the Ariat Lexi coat after seeing another girl at my barn with it--it's very streamlined and non-bulky, but makes a nice warm top layer.

One nice thing about hunter hair in winter, too--it keeps your ears warm!

I am at a loss as to why someone would ruin their good boots mucking a stall.

If you have a good pair of winter fleece breeches, full chaps, and can put on a nice fleece or wool jacket or vest on over anything you can stuff on underneath. I wont wear a baggy sweatshirt to a lesson but I'm not going to freeze to death.

Long underwear under tightly woven breeches, long underwear shirt under long sleeve t-shirt or light sweater under a close fitting thinsulate vest, silk glove liners under winter riding gloves, close fitting wool hat under helmet. I was riding in regular paddock boots/half chaps and several pairs of socks, but I recently sprung for some Ariat Bromonts and THOSE were well worth it. If you have any budget, I'd spend it on footwear, keeping everything else warm is a matter of layering, but you can only fit so many pairs of socks in boots and too tight makes your feet ever colder.

Fleece lined breeches are key (I like the Kerrits and Irideon, and while they are a little pricey, you can usually get them at the end of the winter season on sale, and save them for the next winter). Kerrits also makes long underwear that ends where your boots begin, so it gives you an extra layer without the bulk around the calf. And Ariat winter tall boots, which are so warm, that my feet very rarely get cold.

On top, I have an Orvis silk long sleeve undershirt, then a cahsmere turtleneck (very warm and not bulky). Then a jacket -- but which jacket depends on how cold it is. When it is really cold, I have a Mountain Horse Original jacket from Dover that is warmer than my Spyder ski jacket -- I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I am at a loss as to why someone would ruin their good boots mucking a stall.

That's the first thing I thought. Who gives two figs what you're wearing when you're scooping poop? lol

I have the TuffRider fleece jods. They are excellent and very durable. I've had them for probably about 3 years now and the stitching is fine and nothing is worn out. I wear jeans over them for mucking stalls and anything that isn't riding.

But honestly, if you're that cold, screw fashion. Seriously. Stay warm and comfortable. If you want to look nice just wear clothes that are clean and fit decently. That's all I'd expect from anyone in the middle of winter.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

OK in the Northeast it is COOOLLLDDD. Lots of snow. This is what I wear riding in an indoor with NO heat (we'll start from the bottom; for the COLDEST days which would be single digits):

On feet - light weight cotton socks; Foot warmers stuck to my toe/ball of foot area; SmartWool socks over them - Ariat insulated paddock boots.

On lower body - Eddie Bauer long underwear; fleece lined winter riding breeches; suede 1/2 chaps.

On upper body - Eddie bauer long underwear turtleneck; 100% cashmere cardigan (yep - $4.00 at the thrift!!!); nylon golf pullover windbreaker; fleece vest.

100% comfortable !!! If you want to wear tall boots - I would absolutely suggest SmartWool brand socks with toe warmers.

Frankly, I believe the keys are the SmartWool socks/warmers and the cashmere sweater. I once wore a regular wool sweater and I got SO hot. Cashmere keeps you comfortably warm, and prevents overheating. And when your feet are warm and dry? ... The rest of you is too!

I'm in Maine and don't layer on the bottom half when I ride--just breeches and warm socks under regular uninsulated boots. Though, I'm an eventer so I ride in full-seats...not sure if that makes a difference at all. I came from the HJ world though, so I'm still pretty neurotic about how I look when I ride.

In the winter, I layer a technical cotton blend long-sleeve top, Polartec expedition-weight 1/4 zip top, a Polartec fleece jacket, and goose down vest or jacket. Merino wool sweaters are also great insulators without the bulk. The layers under the goosedown are thin and move well over each other, so I don't feel bulky or constrained. I like a vest better than a jacket because it keeps my core warm, but allows me to move my arms better. All my top layers are black and fitted, so I think I still look nicely turned out despite the layers.

I don't understand mucking stalls in tall boots though. My tall boots don't witness those kinds of activities!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I avoid fleece here....it was great when I was in Seattle but the air is too dry here in the winter and it's wayyy too staticy.

I layer layer layer....silk type long johns top and bottom. Heavier cotton or smartwool knee high socks, but I never layer them because if your feet are restricted by socks or cramped in your boots they actually get colder, toes need room and air to move to warm up! I learned that through years of skiing and snowboarding. Toe warmers if it's really cold. Jeans or breeches (rarely breeches in the winter for me, I have no one to impress LOL) under half or full chaps. My full chaps are a must when it's REALLY cold.

I usually layer a long sleeve tee and short sleeve tee on top of the silks with either a sweatshirt or sweater. On top of that is either my down baker vest or fitted down coat that I got on clearance for 7 bucks at old navy last year.

I live in the Mountain Horse winter gloves. They look like they're too bulky to ride in but their really not. I only ever have to take them off to buckle nosebands or mess with earplugs.

A scarf is a MUST. I never realized that until I moved here. I do hunter hair or those cheapie wrap around earmuffs that fit under my helmet straps.

I definitely wouldn't say that I'm a fashion plate, but clean, conservative and most importantly WARM.

All that said....if it's under 15 I stay warm by staying home

I wear either a long-sleeve cotton tee shirt, or if it's in the 20* to 30* range, fleece skiing top (Hot Chilis) underneath a very warm turtleneck sweater. I wear a down vest over that, and it does the trick! My legs never tend to be cold, so just breeches are fine. I wear wool socks with paddock boots and leather 1/2 chaps.

Ski gear. I layer, light and warm.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

If you are allowed to wear paddocks and half chaps, then this:

Wool Socks
    Underarmour or (CuddleDuds at JCP work well also, even the running tights from Aerie)
    Underarmour long sleeve shirt (or alt brand)
    Polo Shirt
    Wool Sweater

regular gloves.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I am big on not looking like a slob and expect my students to follow some sort of dress code (within reason) however I'm generally impressed by anyone who shows up at all when its this cold, and dont hold dress against anyone. Id rather them be warm than pretty.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Ummmm...I'd not necessarily assume the "dress code" forbade appropriate layering up, full chaps, or fleece schooling breeches and winter paddocks.

I know, at the barns I have been in, there are always a few die hard fashionistas (usually mid to late teens) who forsake anything practical-one wouldn't even wear thicker then paper thin show gloves at 10f. Same kids that spend an hour picking out jeans to wear to school every morning and drive to and from the barn in their helmet as they do not want to show a hair out of place on the way over or "hat hair" on the way home.

Unless it is posted on the wall in writing and routinely enforced, I'd wear more and muck in something besides tall boots even in warm weather.

I once cliniced in about 20f-wore panty hose, nice fleece breeches (you could hardly tell), warmers in the tall boots, thin silk long sleeved tee, form fitting turtleneck and a tight jacket. I looked fine and neat-and had to get rid of the jacket once I warmed up.

Anyway, make sure it fits well but wear what you need to.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I have two winter riding jackets, one is a North Face and the other is a winter ski jacket I literally spent 30$ on at freaking WAL-MART, but I swear it is the warmest thing I own! If it isn't under 28 degrees I will be too hot to wear it! I have thick winter gloves and heavy socks under tall boots. Also a scarf and headband are absolutely necessary. Head band needs to fit under helmet. We don't have an indoor here in FL so when it's super windy I just pull my hood right over my damn helmet and ride around Also, long underwear.

As for New England weather I think I'm going to put my regular tall boots away and get some insulated ones. Ill probably have to switch out my irons to slightly bigger ones. My Mountain Horse paddock boots didn't fit in my irons. I also would like a pair of insulated breeches, sometimes I wish I had those down here with the wind..

Quote Originally Posted by RumoursFollow View Post
    I am big on not looking like a slob and expect my students to follow some sort of dress code (within reason) however I'm generally impressed by anyone who shows up at all when its this cold, and dont hold dress against anyone. Id rather them be warm than pretty.
    This!^

As long as my feet and hands stay warm, I good. I'm in upstate NY (it was 0f this morning) and we have an indoor that blocks win but is like a big refrigerator, complete with fost on the inside walls. I wear mid weight socks with fleece ski socks over them. I wear cuddle duds under breeches. (I found a pair of full seats on sale and love them for cold days, they are warmer than regular breeches.) I wear a cuddle duds T shirt under a light fleece (full zip) jacket (Danskins, $8 at Wal Mart) and mid weight gloves while in the ring. I start out with a Riding Sport 3 in one jacket (the one on almost every Dover catalog's back cover) and take off the shell, then the lining as I get to work.
    I cannot imagine wearing tall boots to muck! First they are not warm, second, they are not comfortable! Yikes that's quite a dress code. I like to look nice and neat, especially for lessons but I wear 1/2 chaps and paddocks for 90% of my riding, 100% in winter.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and finally buy some underarmor and some lined breeches.

For clarification, I believe she only mucks when really necessary and usually just tacks up ponies for the kiddies.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

As everyone has said, layers are the way to go.

Stay away from cotton, especially socks, when it's really cold. If your feet sweat at all, the cotton holds it against your skin and you freeze. Wool is best. And room in your boots for wiggling and circulation.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis