The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If Riding Shotgun is the one involving some kind of "time travel", it is PHENOMENAL.

I read it a long time ago- I loved it because I love historical fiction, and the horse part is just kind of a bonus.

There was one sentence/paragraph (er, idea?) about a drunk driver (maybe motorcyclist?). I think the character also had her makeup tattooed on her face. Anyway, she got in a wreck, but she was so drunk she didn't have the ability to have a natural reflex and tense up- because she stayed loose, she survived.

Anyway, I always think about that when I'm reading about drunk drivers surviving crashes. I know it's more complicated than that, but it still pops into my mind every time.

I'm with hundredacres, the writing style is just too painful. Want to, but can't.

Another little known RMB, before she started churning out the mysteries, is a book called "High Hearts" about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to fight in the civil war. Lots of riding scenes and historically accurate detail.

Worth reading.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I enjoyed the Sneaky Pie Brown books, and some of her other ones. When I finally drove through that same little town in Virginia years later, I was looking around for the landmarks from the books.

What's the mystery one Tami Hoag wrote set around the show scene in Wellington? Was it Dark Horse? That was a fun read, as I recall.
    Yup, Dark Horse and The Alibi Man.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I liked the RMB hunt books OK, the Sneaky Pie not at all.

Dick Francis I loved, especially the Sid Haley ones. All the horse stuff was of course right on, and the story line always moved at a good clip,(as they always say in the reviews ) with the mystery being interesting and not too predictable.

Jilly Cooper's are always fun,but haven't read her latest yet.
    The Fiona Walker books were just a bit too long and too silly even for me.
    Thought Tami Hoag's Dark Horse was good.

Another writer not mentioned yet (I don't think) is Jenny Pitman. She is an ex-steeplechase rider, and her heroine is a racehorse trainer.
    They have the same ring of truth as the Dick Francis, but I like her even better.
    There is a bit more 'horse stuff' in them, and her love of the horses shines through.

Yet another British jockey turned mystery writer is John Francome, and his books are decent too.

I haven't read a 'horsey' book in ages, and this thread has made me want to go get one!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Fred, thanks for adding to the list

I just saw on Amazon that Rita Mae Brown is the author of Rubyfruit Jungle, which I read about 10 years ago. Now THAT was a different book.... tackled a lot of difficult themes, but I loved it!

Will be adding Riding Shotgun to my wish list...

The Fox Hunting Series Books are So Worth it!!!! ***