The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rita Mae Brown books - a good read?

Anyone read any of her fox hunting series? I was thinking of downloading a couple on to my nook but wanted to know if they'll be worth it. I tend to get frustrated with any movies about horses because I'm one of those people who nit-pick all of the mistakes . I'm hoping these books wouldn't be like that - she's a horsewoman, isn't she? It seems like I read an article about her in CotH in the past...
    anyway...anyone have any input?

YES

I think 'Outfoxed' is the first, but you don't have to read them in order, though the frame story is evolving.

Absolutely wonderful series around Sister Jane Arnold MFH.

Riding Shotgun is one of my favorites ever, all time, it stands alone.

And of course, Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries, don't miss them either. Not a lot of riding in them though there are a lot of horses in the back ground.

RMB is MFH I think of the Jefferson Hunt in Virginia...
    http://www.ritamaebrown.com/content/index.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

sure! Download them! The horse part is really accurate... nobody will be riding a stallion bareback through the woods at midnight!

The sister jane series is her best. But I really liked the Sneaky Pie Brown ones too... though some of those aren't as good and get a little preachy politically. but for sure try it!
    Let others know how XC went --
    Post your review on www.crosscountryreview.com!

True, she can get preachy. I find that kind of annoying (even when I might agree!). They aren't really great mysteries but the Sister Jane ones are fun for the hunting aspects. She seems to be more into hounds than horses, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rennyben View Post
    The sister jane series is her best. But I really liked the Sneaky Pie Brown ones too... though some of those aren't as good and get a little preachy politically. but for sure try it!
    LOL, yeah, it's an opinionated series, but the conversations between the pets is too funny...if you ever wanted to know whatyour cats tell you...

And the stories are good, only with one or 2 I had a bit of a problem, since you kind of knew whodunit as soon as the character was introduced...most have you guessing until the very end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default GREAT READS !!!!

Great reads ~ IMHO

Love the hunting books and the Sneaky Pie Brown !!!!

* RMB is Master of a Hunt ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Okay - I'm excited...thank you! It's O (zero) degrees out so I'm turning on the electric blanket and snuggling up with Outfoxed in a few minutes

I also downloaded a sample of Death by Dressage....anyone read that one?

*ETA: alagirl I just downloaded Riding Shotgun too . Thanks so much!

Love the hunting series and sneaky pie brown!!! I read them over and over!! Like comfort reading

Horseplay by Judy Rene Singer is a good one if you are looking for a laugh

It's a long winter still ahead....I'm thrilled with all recommendations ~

I borrowed one from a friend, and while it was ok, I was not interested enough to read more of them. However, I do want to read the new Jilly Cooper if you are looking for another recommendation.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    *ETA: alagirl I just downloaded Riding Shotgun too . Thanks so much!
    I re-read this one every few years - love it.

Lyndon Stacey has mysteries as well, involving eventing/show jumping/general horsey-ness. I think her first one is Cut Throat, but I liked that one best so you may want to save it for last.

I recently read French Relations and Well Groomed by Fiona Walker - supposedly involving eventing. Both books were 600-800 pages, and horses (let alone eventing) featured in about 15 of them...the rest was soap opera drama, so I would skip those.

Dick Francis is fun (and prolific - though he follows a formula, so be warned).

Mary Herbert (hard to find) did a series about magic wielders who were bonded to extra-special Percherons, basically.

I have really enjoyed the RMB hunting books- gives great insight into hounds and how they work, plus chuckles as each horse/rider combo in the hunt field reminds me of people I have hunted with....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    Horseplay by Judy Rene Singer is a good one if you are looking for a laugh
    Totally agree. LOVE that book

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Anyone read any of her fox hunting series? I was thinking of downloading a couple on to my nook but wanted to know if they'll be worth it. I tend to get frustrated with any movies about horses because I'm one of those people who nit-pick all of the mistakes . I'm hoping these books wouldn't be like that - she's a horsewoman, isn't she? It seems like I read an article about her in CotH in the past...
    anyway...anyone have any input?
    I love the stories/the horse parts are good but I especially love the talking animals!
    Death By Dressage was OK.

If you like talking animals, Horse Heaven by Pulitzer Prize winner, Jane Smiley is wonderful. She also wrote Barn Blind, her first book, about a family running a teaching/boarding barn, and A Year at the Races. I've read Horse Heaven three or four times. It's fascinating.

I found the RMB books really, really boring unforunately. I wanted to love them, but they dragged (& I never got into the talking animals!).

Death by Dressage is entertainingly bizarre. I preferred the Jody Jaffe horse mysteries.

Riding Shotgun is worth a look even if you can't get into the others. I find her other books a little too precious for my taste, but I've read Shotgun a whole buncha times--it's a good'un.

Loved Riding Shotgun. Hunt series is great. When is Brown doing a new one?
    If Barn Blind is what I think, a good book but sad story. Horseplay was a riot!

Too conveyor belt for me.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork