The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for Commercial Hauler, Please!

We have a horse we want to ship from S. Carolina to Colorado next month. Horse has just gone through 30 days of ulcer treatment. We need a hauler who will be super responsive to the horse's needs, will not let him sit for hours on a parked trailer, will drive straight through, maybe provide a box stall...essentially a super hauler. I am aware of some commercial haulers who pack the horses on and let them sit while they change drivers and such. Horse cannot take this treatment. Anyone have recommendations?

talk to Equine Express. I believe they have a very good reputation and do a fair amount of east/west travel. I used them for a very young horse some years ago, and I was pleased.

Edited to add: I'm not sure you'll find anyone who will do the drive straight through, but they may have selected lay over locations where horse is off the trailer and in a stall........

I'll also admit that after buying a new horse in Cal. last summer and fretting about travel to Fla, I finally had her put on a plane. She was door to door in 20 hours, including multi-hour trailer rides on both ends. Not cheap, but worth it!

I think you need to pay for a box stall. sure, if one is available, they might haul your horse in it, but you must remember, they are doing this to make money, and the more horses in the trailer, the more money.

I would ask any haulers for a box stall price, and shipping in a trailer that is going direct from point a to point b. If you can wait till they have that route, then all the more sure your horse will go directly from point a to point b.
    good luck.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Lightstar Hauling, Owner/driver is Terry Konkle - hauled a mare of mine from GA to CA this last fall. She was in a box stall because of a leg injury she was recovering from, he babied her the whole way and she stepped off the trailer sound. If you need another reference, CA ASB on this board has used him quite a bit and loves him.

http://www.lightstarhorsetransportation.com/
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Bob Hubbard or Equine Express

Thanks, and bumping for more input!

Equine Express is the absolute best in my opinion. I have used them several times going up and down the entire east coast. I'm not sure how often they go out west though, but it is certainly worth calling them.

Brookledge
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

KLR Horse Transport. They are based out of NJ. I believe their email is RitterHawkEye@aol.com. I have had excellent experiences with them several times. They are true horsepeople and trustworthy.

We used Mary Mykytyn of Mykytyn Transport
    [FONT='inherit','serif']Mary Mykytyn [mykytyn@rogers.com][/FONT]
    [FONT='inherit','serif']to take a very nervous immature TB gelding from central IL to Canada. He went essentially door to door, was unloaded during transport and arrived fit and happy. updates were regular and steady, lead time to schedule was very managable, AND she educated my vet on the forms needed to ship my horse internationally to his new mom.[/FONT]
    [FONT='inherit','serif']She does cross country - and has quoted at least one of our adopters for that type of trip as well.

[/FONT]
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

I used Azevedo Transportation for my 3 and one was geriatric with issues. Box stalls. Fabulous. Used them for several cross country moves. When they had complications, they had clinics lined up along the way before they even called me...and that was within 30 min of knowing there was an issue. They were great. Tony and Todd get my two thumbs up!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thank you all so much--this has been very helpful.

Johnson Horse Transportation. They are based in Pennsylvania. I have used them twice to ship my mare and was very happy both times. Cam got off the trailer looking and feeling great. If they have a box stall available they will put your horse in one even if have not reserved a box stall.

They do drive straight through, only stopping to drop off/pick up horses along the way.

They also allowed me to ship a tack trunk, two large suitcases, three saddles and two garment bags at no extra cost (daughter was moving to Texas for college).

The driver kept in touch with me and made me feel very comfortable with how my mare was being treated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I third/fourth equine express.

Flying maybe just as cost effective and less stressful. I don't know any stateside companies. But I flew bubba to hawaii and back and he did wonderful.

I have used Equine Express for cross country hauls and been very pleased. They lay over in Pilot Point, TX, and unload to do the layover. It is possible that hauling from GA to CO you wouldn't have a layover, but it depends on how they do the route.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com