The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fix or buy new tow vehicle?

I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 HD Suburban, in pretty good body condition. Blue Book value is about $7500. It tows well for what I do on the East Coast. I pull an EBY 16 ft. Stock trailer, aluminum bumper.

Today before I hitched up, I found I had no brakes. Turns out the brake hoses and connections are shot. Service guy wants $3000 to fix all four wheels.

Put 3000 into a 7000 truck? Or $50,000 for a new GMC 2500 HD Denali?

I'd keep the Burb, if I thought something else expensive wouldn't die next. On the other hand, these new trucks cost as much as a condo. DH want to fix the truck.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Your mechanic is a thief...does he want to buy the truck and he's trying to scare you into selling it?

Find an honest mechanic or a less greedy dishonest mechanic...it should be a couple hundred dollars.

A suggestion: Replace the brake lines and the brake master cylinder (if it's getting old), all the hoses and belts, get new antifreeze...have you kept up with the transmission (meaning fluid changes every gazillion miles and a new filter?).

You've got a great truck, just fix/tighten what you've got and save your money...but get thee to a good mechanic (check out the local review websites where they rate autoshops for quality and price...use a good one...and bring a half-knowledgeable guy with you...yeah, I know, but mechanics will try less crap on a guy).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Your mechanic is a thief...does he want to buy the truck and he's trying to scare you into selling it?

Find an honest mechanic or a less greedy dishonest mechanic...it should be a couple hundred dollars.

A suggestion: Replace the brake lines and the brake master cylinder (if it's getting old), all the hoses and belts, get new antifreeze...have you kept up with the transmission (meaning fluid changes every gazillion miles and a new filter?).

You've got a great truck, just fix/tighten what you've got and save your money...but get thee to a good mechanic (check out the local review websites where they rate autoshops for quality and price...use a good one...and bring a half-knowledgeable guy with you...yeah, I know, but mechanics will try less crap on a guy).
    +1.

Or call Click and Clack and let them tell you the same thing.

G.

I'm going to ditto the other two. If the problem is what you say it is (and honestly, no break issue is going to be over $1000) then that is a RIDICULOUS price quote.

Find a new mechanic, spend $200 for some new hoses, and keep your reliable, useable, paid off truck.

I agree with everyone else.

I had the same work done for the rear brakes in my truck about a year ago - $200.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Yep, I slept on it, called my sons, am finding a good mechanic, and getting the truck towed there, and keeping it 10 more years.

I had all the lines and hoses replaced on my F250, which involved dropping the gas tank (great design Ford), for $1000, and I had a cow over the price. I cannot fathom how they came up with $3000.

$3000?!?!

I agree with others here; get a second opinion! The only time I paid more than $1k for a brake problem was because the computer module associated with the anti-lock system was fried. Brakes themselves were fine and fully functional. I held out on the computer fix as long as I could but finally had to fix it to renew my inspection sticker. <grumble>
    Jer 29: 11-13

Those brakes better be made out of gold for that price!!
    I am in the exact same position as you. My '01 Tahoe that I use for local towing has a cracked head and starting to have some tranny issues. After looking at the prices and availability of a good used truck I have decided to repair the Tahoe for now and look after winter for a truck. I will need a truck in the next year since I have just purchased a small farm and will need it for hauling feed and hay.

Ditto all the other posters who said this mechanic is nothing more than a rip-off artist. I had the same work done on a 1995 F250 a few years ago to the tune of $425-ish.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by horseluver1 View Post
    Those brakes better be made out of gold for that price!!
    I am in the exact same position as you. My '01 Tahoe that I use for local towing has a cracked head and starting to have some tranny issues. After looking at the prices and availability of a good used truck I have decided to repair the Tahoe for now and look after winter for a truck. I will need a truck in the next year since I have just purchased a small farm and will need it for hauling feed and hay.
    My car is dying (per mechanic) and I was shocked when I priced used trucks/SUVs. Wow have they gone up in price in the last year or so! So I am nursing the car along w/ the thoughts that the big boys will drop in price if/when gas jumps this summer

OP-that is just rotten!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Had the Burb towed to a recommended mechanic. Needs all new brake lines (40 ft.) and fittngs, a new caliper, getting the hoses and belts checked, and tranny flushed, battery was dead so putting in a new one (first new ever). The brakes themselves are good, just had them done last spring. Not sure why the one caliper went up, it should have been new in spring.

Default two cents

For what it is worth I am very anti-flushing of tranny's unless you have been doing it religiously. Just have them drain it, replace the filter and put in new fluid.

Did the second quote come in better?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Every time something needs fixed on my 92 truck (let's see, we've done tranny, fuel injectors, and a/c system), my husband says "We could have bought a new truck for what that cost".

I look at him and say "We could have put 1/4 of a downpayment on a new truck for that, and then where is the other $40K going to come from?"

Jennifer

My parents have the same truck--hold on to that baby! Solid as a rock--enjoy the next ten years with it. And next time, check the "mechan-x files" section on the cartalk.com website for a rating before you go so the mechanic doesn't give you a heart attack with his quote!

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Every time something needs fixed on my 92 truck (let's see, we've done tranny, fuel injectors, and a/c system), my husband says "We could have bought a new truck for what that cost".

I look at him and say "We could have put 1/4 of a downpayment on a new truck for that, and then where is the other $40K going to come from?"

Jennifer
    Ditto for my '91... I say "It's STILL cheaper than a truck payment!"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    Needs all new brake lines (40 ft.) and fittngs, a new caliper, getting the hoses and belts checked, and tranny flushed, battery was dead so putting in a new one (first new ever). The brakes themselves are good, just had them done last spring.
    and what was the quote for this work? i'm just curious...
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

I think it 's still about 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    I think it 's still about 2400.
    Something must be off either with what you're telling us, or the mechanic. The parts for all that (not including the battery, which varies so greatly) come in at under $200. (And not for bargain basement stuff either, just good quality stuff....and not even at "mechanics price".) The work should take maybe 5 hours tops. So even at the pricier rate of $100 an hour that's another $500, which still puts your total under a grand.

For $2500 you shouldn't be getting a tranny flush, you should be getting a whole new tranny!

Signed,
    A very concerned car girl, and fellow Suburban owner.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    For what it is worth I am very anti-flushing of tranny's unless you have been doing it religiously. Just have them drain it, replace the filter and put in new fluid.

Did the second quote come in better?
    I agree.