The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Quaterback

I know that this stallion has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, but I just discovered some video footage of him that rekindled my interest.
    Here is a training video of him with a different rider. I am really liking the more "normal" trot he shows, also some nice lateral work (sadly no canter shown) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rYq...eature=related
    And here's a stallion show video I hadn't seen before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LEZqTqIPk
    I have been pretty skeptical of him all along, but now that I've seen more current video, my interest is peaked. Any reports on how his oldest offspring are doing under saddle? What traits does he pass on? What size/type are his offspring?

Cool the only thing that bothers me about QB

is his size. Either he ALWAYS has the tallest, long legged men in the universe riding him or he is not 16.3. He looks closer to 16. Otherwise...he is a pretty nice fella.

Well, you probably know I love him and I love my two Quaterbacks. The oldest is coming two and is HUGE, big bone, tall. Just a powerful horse. Movement is very good, good walk (mare had good walk), tonnes of suspension and power in trot, canter is super (and was from day one). Despite his size though he is quite sensitive both mentally and physically. I *think* he is going to be a stellar ride.

The yearling didn't get the same suspension as the two year old. He is a nice, uphill mover but not jaw dropping. Also a nice temperament though sensitive (again not in a bad way).

Both colts are super blingy, long legs and good necks.

I can't say what the oldest are like under saddle, but so far I adore mine and foresure will use Quaterback again. I think it's just important the mare has a good walk because I noticed quite a few of his offspring are lacking in that area (though most of those were from S line mares).

Kyla,
    Are both of your Quaterbacks out of your gigantic Waldkoenig mare? Do you think the large size is from QB or from the dam? I just don't want to breed anything TOO huge in case baby is still around when it's three and I have to break and ride it. My dimunitive 5 foot 3 self doesn't like riding babies over 16.2

Yes, they are both from Wow and she is likely the main reason for their size. Though I don't think he is smaller than 16.3 judging from the conformation photos:

http://www.hopefulfarm.net/images/quaterback2.jpg

I just realized that the stallion "Beach Boy" who is on the dam's side of Quaterback's pedigree is the very same Beach Boy that stands in Alberta at Touchstone farm. Cool! It's a shame that Beach Boy's semen was no good for shipping. From what I understand he is a very good stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    I just realized that the stallion "Beach Boy" who is on the dam's side of Quaterback's pedigree is the very same Beach Boy that stands in Alberta at Touchstone farm. Cool! It's a shame that Beach Boy's semen was no good for shipping. From what I understand he is a very good stallion.
    Beach Boy is/was one of the top. His semen has always been an issue.
    He kind of fell off the radar since coming to Canada since his semen doesnt ship,so he didnt get the mares he needed.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Yeah, it's too bad. He's been totally sterile for a number of years now.

My dad has a QB filly. She's three this year, but is rather small 15.3 currently and very fine boned. She's also a bit hot. Beautiful movement, brave and smart as a whip. God help me...

I think she gets her hotness from the dam's side though, the dam-sire is known for being a bit difficult.

I'm definitely impressed with how he stamps his offspring.

I believe QB is 16.2h for those who weren't sure.

Default I was a big fan

Quaterback as a youngster himself was stunning, but his offsprings are much to different - no line of all. Too many of them has gelding expression and are not movers at all by the European licensings.

He has not made his own copy yet. I would not recommand him.

Quaterback as a youngster himself was stunning, but his offsprings are much to different - no line of all. Too many of them has gelding expression and are not movers at all by the European licensings.

Don't you think making his own copy is a bit hard? He's litterally a perfect ten. I doubt there was a mare bred to him that was anywhere near the quality he is. So I think that remark is unfair and the expectation unrealistic.

Personally I am happy if I get 50 percent of that movement as it would still be a top class mover.

As for not stamping, I have to disagree. Look at the recent stallion licencings the last few years. He's not exactly lacking in his production record.

Quote Originally Posted by lekkim View Post

WOW, I have never ever heard someone say anything like this about Quaterback's offspring. Actually, I've only heard (and seen) quite the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    WOW, I have never ever heard someone say anything like this about Quaterback's offspring. Actually, I've only heard (and seen) quite the opposite!
    Me too! Our filly is stunning, I mean she's certainly not a carbon copy, but does he ever stamp them with beautiful movement.

Have you seen Qredit at Hilltop Farm?

http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_qredit.html

I'm REALLY swear I'm not trying to open this can of worms again - but I agree with Donella based on videos alone.

After studying the offspring quite a bit on video, and there are many to look at out of varying mares, I will say he appears to stamp in type, and provide increased elasticity and lightness, but the knee action is quite variable depending on the mare's mechanics of movement. I have not seen one with "bad" movement - just varied in expression.

That being said, I would love to have seen the mare that produced this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlm77DOuBPU

versus this 3 yo g. we nearly purchased recently (first time jumping w/ rider, very green broke)

http://www.youtube.com/user/karlafra...13/UoCmWnvJgSo

Of course it's hard to compare an amped-up free moving clip with one under saddle but you can see they are extremely similar in type, looks, length of leg, etc, but also are different as well. To me it's totally ok if you can determine WHAT he is reliably passing and with what type of mare, that is actually really good. It's when there is no consistency that the value as a sire is decreased.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Actually also think that is a bit harsh especially the stamping. He had sons licensed with Oldenburg and Hanoverian societies last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    I'm REALLY swear I'm not trying to open this can of worms again - but I agree with Donella based on videos alone.

After studying the offspring quite a bit on video, and there are many to look at out of varying mares, I will say he appears to stamp in type, and provide increased elasticity and lightness, but the knee action is quite variable depending on the mare's mechanics of movement. I have not seen one with "bad" movement - just varied in expression.

That being said, I would love to have seen the mare that produced this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlm77DOuBPU

versus this 3 yo g. we nearly purchased (first time jumping w/ rider, green broke)

http://www.youtube.com/user/karlafra...13/UoCmWnvJgSo

Of course it's hard to compare an amped-up free moving clip with one under saddle but you can see they are extremely similar in type, looks, length of leg, etc, but could also not be more different as well. To me it's totally ok if you can determine WHAT he is reliably passing and with what type of mare, that is actually really good. It's when there is no consistency that the value as a sire is decreased.
    To be honest though, it's hard to compare a horse that is fired up and free to one under saddle being ridden with his chin on his chest.

I know horses that could pin in a hunter hack class in good company under saddle that look like flamboyant dressage horses when chased around an arena.

For every video of one of his offspring that doesn't take after him, I can find ten that do. When I say stamping, I mean a stallion reliably passes on his traits and that you can usually pick them out. Obviously there are going to be exceptions.

This is true, that's why I mentioned it, but here is another clip of the same horse with some free footage and free jumping at the end. You can see he is more elastic when being chased a bit but still doesn't use the forearm in an upward way like the first horse I posted (but I do agree my Dutch gelding can perform like a Grand Prix horse when fired up but is completely flat kneed when un-amped!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/karlafra...16/gPyzWHXYdEs

Just saying, I do think he stamps them in many ways. But just an opinion! I have seen way more that look and move similar than don't.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

He definitely stamps his offspring!

Smile Signature....

They can HIDE that first one behind my barn any day!!! Has anybody here actually seen QB in person....like stood next to him? His size really bugs me. I wish he was stood next to BH Romanov once...just once.