The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Itchy dry skin horses

I have a mare who has dry skin and coat....her weight is fine. She has flakes in her mane (which she will try to rub). With the winter, I don't think she has a bug allergy. Suggestions to help her with either a feed thru product (more oil in her diet)? or something to use on her skin/mane? Her 2 year old filly has the SAME THING@!
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Maybe try GrandCoat, Omega Horseshine or SmartOmega3?

But most importantly, before you start making additions, what are you feeding her?

Both her and the filly get Seminole Perform Safe and free choice grass hay with additional hay a legume hay- peanut. Other 15 horses here, including top eventers, look great, just these 2 who are related.
    Beth Davidson

If a fatty acid imbalance / deficiency, oil and extra Omega 3 could help.

Allergy is a possibility. A feed change may help

Certain fly sprays, shampoos and conditioners can cause reactions in some horses.

Worms can cause skin problems by causing hypersensitive immune response, or impaired nutrient absorption.

In some mares skin conditions can be related to hormonal changes.

My mare has never had itchies this time of year, but usually does in July/August. I started her on SmartOmega 3 and MSM from Smartpak this past spring and she didn't have the usual summer itchiness, and her coat has stayed looking lovely. I really like both products.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My guess would be allergy related. Not my horse but my dog had issues like this when he was getting a food with grains in it. They went away when I switched to a 100% grain free diet. Could be something in the Seminole causing the reaction.

Adding oil/some form of omega 3 could help. Topically, I like Healthy Hair Care to help add some moisture but that's only a bandaid, since the flakes would probably just keep reappearing. Best to try and solve from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwertb View Post
    Both her and the filly get Seminole Perform Safe and free choice grass hay with additional hay a legume hay- peanut. Other 15 horses here, including top eventers, look great, just these 2 who are related.
    I feed my two Seminole Compete Safe and Seminole Victory Hoof Builder as the only suppliment. I think the only difference in the Compete and the Perform is that Compete has herbs that the Perform doesn't.

I don't know what did it but since I've been feeding those my appy mare actually shines where she never did before and no more hoof problems or dry skin problems.

Just curious how long you've had your horse on the Perform.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I had the same problem with my mare, and the only thing that has helped is SmartOmega3. In the winter she needs 1.5 scoops a day, in the summer only .75 scoop. Before the SmartOmega3, she would rub her tail almost raw. I tried all the special shampoos and conditioners, oil in her feed, rice bran, and she was already on a hoof supplement.

Our winters are just so dry down here. I think that's a big part of the problem.

Looks like I should try the smart omega 3! I have been feeding the perform safe for 3 years, used to feed triple crown sweet feed but had some bad batches and switched. I will read the label on the Compete....my older horses are on the Wellness Senior.
    Beth Davidson

Definitely try it. I noticed a difference within a month. That was after the vet had seen her and just kinda shrugged.

Just a thought. A couple of times in the winter, especially on blanketed horses, I've had to deal with some sort of mite in the mane and tail. Itch, flakey skin.
    Washing blankets, hoods, brushes and a dose of ivermectin took care of it.
    Also, some horses get sort of a sebborhea in the winter. For that, I would use a selinium sulfide shampoo, hydrocortisone cream and flax, plenty of flax, as it helps the skin so much.
    Anyway, just a couple of things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwertb View Post
    I have a mare who has dry skin and coat....her weight is fine. She has flakes in her mane (which she will try to rub). With the winter, I don't think she has a bug allergy. Suggestions to help her with either a feed thru product (more oil in her diet)? or something to use on her skin/mane? Her 2 year old filly has the SAME THING@!
    de louse her and the filly as sounds like lice which will make the skin flake
    you can buy it over the counter in any tack or feed store but do get an equine one
    and wear rubber gloves spirnkle on the horse then rubinto the skin do all your rugs and numnahs ie saddle clothes etc and halters etc

then disinfect the brooms grooming kit and stable

once the weather warms up then you can shampoo both with an anti baterial one
    then then when dry add baby oil in manes and tails as to condition it

you can after two weeks add baby oil to manes and tails once the de louser has taken affect
    as baby oil has no additives in it
    you can feed veggie oil from local super store by added a mugful in there dinner its good for coat joints and feet its also slow relaesing energy for the horse and will help to keep it warm in winter

you can also oil your tack with it warm it up to finger hot and apply to rough side then buff up front with clean cloth