The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Ladies- Whats your self maintenance routine consist of?

What do you do to take care of yourself physically? Beauty regimes? Cosmetic surgeries? Makeup every day? Vitamins?

I got into an interesting discussion with a couple of barn buddies that felt that they weren't as interested in all that stuff as their "non-horsey" friends. That since becoming involved in the horse world they weren't as interested in things like pedicures or getting their hair done. To some degree I feel the same. Just wondered if others out there felt the same?
    Last edited by *Lovelife*; Jan. 20, 2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Trying to be more specific!!!:)

As in, with horses or what?? I see this spiraling into a "omg you wear makeup to shows, what a slut you are!" thread unless the OP gives more info on what she is asking.

I'm going to pretend you meant, keep our good looks while working around horses. In that case: sunscreen, moisturizers, benzoyl perioxide face wash, regularly cleaning my helmet.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

My horse loves me as I am. You know, with treats in hand. I don't think he looks much at my face.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I shower after I clean stalls before I go to work. My hair is really short- a bit of gel and it's good to go. Makeup is reserved for horse shows. Every once in a while I'll remember to take a multi-vitamin. That's about it.

I shower before work, brush my teeth a couple times a day, almost never wear make-up and I have straight shoulder length hair... sometimes I blow dry it, in the summer I drive to work with the windows down...

I shower at night but my job is a horse related one so I do not have to worry about hair as it's shoved up under a hat and helmet depending. Doing my horses here in the AM early I go out in anything with no makeup on. I come in and force some breakfast down and I do put on sunscreen and foundtion lightly as it just makes me look fresh. I'm in my early 40's now and did the whole no makeup thing in my 30's. I just feel a little better about myself. Nothinig else though. I keep wanting to get fake semi permanent eyelashes as mine are so short and thin but when I add up the monthly cost it equates to hay for the month so sadly I'm not at liberty to splurge! I also have very thin and fine shoulder length hair which gets done about once every three months and always looks like crap so having a horsie job is a plus. Can't have short hair as I have butch shoulders and a short neck. So not a good look. I take some vits and mins in the Am with my forced breakfast.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Equilibrium- if you are talking about lash extensions I have tried them and they were gorgeous but they made my eyes itch and burn like hellllll!!! Never again!! I just use the glue on kind now!!!

....inexpensive orchid scented shampoo/conditioner. Every 6mos or so I get my hair styled and colored....may change more frequently depending on level of stress I'm under. I exercise control by letting a complete stranger take scissors to my hair. Somehow it makes sense to me.

...inexpensive orchid scented body wash.

$0.99 nail polish, usually chipped from working in the barn...

I'll splurge for proactiv when my skin acts up...

When I'm feeling girly, I actuallyuse the brush to put my hair in a pony tail and throw on some eye liner. MAYBE some eyeshadow if I'm going out....friends generally don't recognize me when I do this..

The horses don't care about any of it except they know I spend more of my money on THEIR beauty products
    Last edited by EquineImagined; Jan. 20, 2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Hair cut every couple of months,keep it fairly short so I can just spritz it with some hair spray when I am doing anything non-horse related. I generally use a rinse color on it that I do myself every few months. Good moisturizer with spf for face several times a day. Face cleansing with nice products several times per week. I have to admit my downfall is scented soaps or liquid bath soaps. I currently have some nice lavender scented liquid bath soap and lotion. My one real splurge is to do a spa day for my BD. Try to do it every year, doesn't always happen, but often enough. Usually get massage, mani/pedi. Trying to be better about wearing at least a little makeup. Let's face it as we start to age that fresh face look gets a little worn...hehe.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by *Lovelife* View Post
    What do you do to take care of yourself physically? Beauty regimes? Cosmetic surgeries? Makeup every day? Vitamins?

I got into an interesting discussion with a couple of barn buddies that felt that they weren't as interested in all that stuff as their "non-horsey" friends. That since becoming involved in the horse world they weren't as interested in things like pedicures or getting their hair done. To some degree I feel the same. Just wondered if others out there felt the same?
    I agree...

BH (before horses) I wore heals, dresses, makeup, perfume, dropped a ton of money at the hair salon, jewelers etc.

AH (after horses) I wear sweatpants, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sneakers, boots, no makeup, no perfume, cut my own hair short, only wear my wedding band and drop a ton of money on my beloved gelding.

I LOVE every single minute of my life around my horse and wouldn't change a thing... only wished I would have done it sooner!!

I wold like to call myself a wash and wear type person. I wash body hair et al hop out of shower dry off blow hair a bit and done. 10 minutes tops in bathroom.
    BUT as I have a some 'social obligations' now It takes me a lot longer to get out of the bathroom in the mornings. Shower, shampoo, body wash from dollar tree ( why pay a butt load for something that is going down the drain?). Then comes the face... I use the Avon Anew in the red containers/jars. 2x's a day.. geesh... Then the mineral makeup from Avon when I have those 'social obligations'.. I have not had my hair cut in mmm 8ish years.. But it grows painfully slow. It is just below my shoulders when last cut it was a pixy type cut so short but not 'flat top' short.I have pulled out my cruling iron,and other hair stuff that I had not used since basically high school and I graduated in the early 80's...So yeah...

Would much rather be a wash and wear type person maybe in about 15yrs I can go back to that life...
    Friend of bar .ka

I still get my hair colored professionally, I am lucky I can wear a hat or helmet all day or even go to bed with wet hair and it still looks better than if I try to style it...
    I do wear a small amount of makeup (tinted face cream, concealer, eye liner and some blush).
    I work in the barn all day but if I run out to the store I change at least my jacket and shoes.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    When I'm feeling girly, I actuallyuse the brush to put my hair in a pony tail

I am pretty low maintenance. With two horses, I can't justify the cost of manicures, pedicures, high priced make-up and regular hair coloring. I keep my nails short and clean. My hair is in a basic style that is easy to maintain and I don't wear much make-up, unless you count chap- stick
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by *Lovelife* View Post
    moisturizer,olay something or other then make up in the morning so as not to frighten small children but only foundation,the lip paint that dries and then you cover with gloss (forgot the name) retouch if I gotta go "out"somewhere afternoon,

long hair to my hips nearly stays in bun(down for funerals or weddings in conjunction with mascara only) shower when I'm dirty makeup removal at night = warm washcloth plus another slab of olay stuff before bed...

shower at night,comb hair once to untangle and that's that...I've not seen a beauty parlor since 1992 or so...nor blow dryer nor curler unless you count the hunt ball in 2004...

no vitamins or anything like that and the only surgery was to fix my face after a horse kicked me in it some 10 years ago...an ER something about putting my lips back in the correct side of my teeth or some such...I was asleep so I dunno exactly

my daughter has some "special needs" hair that requires a real cosmetologist type an hour from here at a spa/salon...it always seems like a creepy grey and black funeral home with strange music and running water so I'm glad we only go very 5 weeks

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

The one thing I am religious about, given the vast amounts of time I spend outside, is moisturizing sunscreen on all exposed skin. That is Job #1 each morning and repeated as needed. Though I tan easily and rarely burn, I have no desire for skin cancer.

Women in my family are naturally prematurely grey, but slow to wrinkle; I certainly think the sunscreen also helps in the smooth skin department! I have very few lines.

I color my hair every other month or so; every now and then I'll splurge on a professional color. It mostly lives in a pony tail or under a hat.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    I work in the barn all day but if I run out to the store I change at least my jacket and shoes.
    You are ahead of me. I went shopping at Wal-Mart the other night after doing stalls & feeding dinner at the barn. I was still wearing all my stuff that I wore at the barn, including old snow pants with patches on the butt. Jacket was dirty with hay particles sticking to it that wouldn't brush off. I suspect I smelled like horse.

It was Wal-Mart, though. I still have all my teeth and am active enough that I don't need to toddle around in one of those scooter cart things, so until I get to that point, it's all good!

Depends on the day. Most days it's showering (in non-scented soap bc of allergies), quick dry of short hair, facial powder, and lip gloss. I never leave the house without lip gloss...even to the barn.

On Sundays I add mascara and a little hair-spray...lol!

Uh, nothing. Ok, I do shower. I don't own makeup, I don't get the point.

I try to take good care of my hair and skin, I get dry/oily very easily. I like good conditioners and skin creams. Not necessarily expensive, suave makes some stuff that agrees with my hair/skin. I like foofy soaps too, mostly shea butter.

I try to make an effort to spiff myself up at least once a week for the SO, perfume, some effort on my hair, etc. I feel bad for him, I've kinda let myself go. When we met I took good care of my appearance and was very social. I only boarded my one lame horse, so I manged to stay rather tidy most of the time. Now, I self care for two and I come home every day looking like I wallowed in the mud. I live in breeches, polos that always manage to get stained, and feece pullovers dotted with hayseeds and hairs. I also track mud everywhere I go and I have to make an effort to clean under my nails.

I might wear makeup 2-3x a week if I'm going out, but I do my daily errands in full horsey regalia complete with snotty marks on my shoulders, tracking mud and bits of hay everywhere I go. The SO says I'm literally like PigPen from Peanuts, a little dustcloud follows me everywhere.

I might replenish the few bits of makeup I use every 12-16 months. It requires mental effort to replace my mascara. I don't think I've ever used one completely up under 6 months.

The biggest investment I make towards my beauty is in gloves to keep my hands from getting too aged too quickly, and getting a good nights sleep.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I am so not a DQ, just a backyard trail rider, but I do everything the OP mentioned. Just trying to keep the hubby happy. After all, he is the one that goes to work every day so I can stay home and play with the horses. And here is a PSA, don't marry a younger guy -- they don't age as quickly as we do.