The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Flash bridle into a snaffle bridle??

Is it possible to have the flash discretely removed from a bridle by a tack repair shop? Has anyone had this done? If so, how much did it cost and where did you send it?

Thanks!
    WHY am I such a sucker for cute ponies??!!!

As far as I know (with the flashes I've seen) the flash is an extra piece of leather stitched into the leather of the noseband - you should be able to un stitch that part of the noseband and remove the flash and re sew it. I would think, however, that the cost of removing the flash from the noseband (if possible) would be greater and the inconvenience greater than buying a new noseband... It is also possible it will not look as neat and 'clean' as a noseband that did not have a flash.

Any tackstore that does saddle repairs should be able to do this removal as well. Hope that helps...

If you mean the little tab on the noseband that you run a flash through, I will admit to removing that myself once with one of those retractable razor knives. You wouldn't notice unless you knew to look. But it's also a very padded noseband, so the part where I removed it is pretty hidden.

I just leave it on. The tab is so small (on my bridle) that most dont even notice it. Plus it gives you the option to use the flash if you need to

Just cut the thing off. No big deal. On a moving horse no one will be able to tell you did.

Yes, I've had it removed. I think Ann McGrail here in PA did it, but I couldn't swear on it. I think it was inexpensive (under $10). You can't even tell there ever was a flash...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=DSC_0157.jpg
    Post-flash removal

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ent=stoney.jpg
    Pre-flash removal
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    I just leave it on. The tab is so small (on my bridle) that most dont even notice it. Plus it gives you the option to use the flash if you need to
    That unused tab would drive me crazy, especially when its so easy to remove. I prefer to use the separate flash attachment when necessary.

Or when you have some spare change get another noseband (new or used)... so you can use the flash for schooling if necessary... or just cut the darn tab off, and if you need the flash sometimes you can get those buckle on jobs that will go around the noseband...

I was going to cut mine off, but instead took it to my local tack shop, who has a leather worker guy. He took it off and restitched the band for $10 and it looks perfect.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Thanks everyone! Whether I just cut it off with a razor or send it out will just depend on how much I like the bridle, I guess (I just ordered it). $10 bucks sounds like a good deal.
    WHY am I such a sucker for cute ponies??!!!