The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To Whoever found my camera!

I was at Poplar's September Horse Trials grooming for a friend who was doing the 2* and left my very nice Nikon D40 camera somewhere on the grounds when we left. Someone SO kindly turned it in and I would really like to personally thank this person somehow because I now have the camera back in my possession thanks to them and the owner of Poplar. You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!

I don't know who found your camera, but reading this still put a smile on my face. There is nothing like feeling that altruism may not be entirely dead..

And I'm glad you got your camera back. I bet you won't ever do that again

ETA: Since you aren't sure who found it, I think it would be so cool if you were to "pay it forward" by doing something kind and unexpected for someone else, even a perfect stranger! I like to think of happiness as having a ripple effect..

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I did the same thing last fall - left my camera, loaded with pics I really wanted of course, at a horse show. A lady that was an exhibitor there found it, found the sales receipt in the camera bag with my phone number on it, called me about it after the show was over, and unbelievably and despite my protests, mailed it to me and paid the postage herself! I was truly bowled over by her kindness.

So yes ake987 - I believe the best thing we can do is pay it forward and I have been looking for little ways to do that ever since.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I did the same thing last fall - left my camera, loaded with pics I really wanted of course, at a horse show. A lady that was an exhibitor there found it, found the sales receipt in the camera bag with my phone number on it, called me about it after the show was over, and unbelievably and despite my protests, mailed it to me and paid the postage herself! I was truly bowled over by her kindness.

So yes ake987 - I believe the best thing we can do is pay it forward and I have been looking for little ways to do that ever since.
    Wow!

Always so nice to hear about good deeds. Yea!
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

This thread just made my day. So glad both of you had your cameras returned. And its great to know there are still awesome people in this world.

AckNiceMon -I know exactly how you feel - I lost my wallet at the Royal Winter Fair - someone turned it into the office - friend of mine works in the office and gave it to me - I was absolutely freaking and so glad to get it back.

That's awesome!

I was at a XC schooling day at Rosaryville, had a check in my pocket for my instructor, and it must have fallen out somewhere on course. Two months later someone found it and mailed it back to me

I think a lot of people want to do the right thing.

Default Excellent report!

My daughter and I were competing at Millbrook years ago. We were in the little barn where the retired horses lived...hey, I think that barn is gone now!... Anyhow, I left my binoculars on a ledge in the barn. They had my address on them. Quite soon after the event, I received a package from John Williams in VA. Could not imagine what he could be sending me. I opened it up to find my binocs with a nice note from him saying he had found them in our barn after I pulled out.

It is really so easy to be nice, it is a shame more people don't give it a try!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by AckNiceMon View Post
    I was at Poplar's September Horse Trials grooming for a friend who was doing the 2* and left my very nice Nikon D40 camera somewhere on the grounds when we left. Someone SO kindly turned it in and I would really like to personally thank this person somehow because I now have the camera back in my possession thanks to them and the owner of Poplar. You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!
    OH, how I so love it when things like this happen! It restores my hope in humanity! Reminds you that there are (thankfully) still nice people in the world.
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Quote Originally Posted by AckNiceMon View Post
    You will never know how much I appreciate what seems to be such a small deed. So if its you or you know who did this AMAZING thing please let me know so that I can personally thank them!
    ask the people on the grounds to put a sign up on the announcement board

"thank you for finding my camera ,you know who you are and you are just great!! "
    and have a big smiley face stuck on it

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

These things tend to happen in the horse world the most. Though I did lose my divers license on a ski trip in Colorado and had to fly home without it (ask me how fun that was) and about a week after I got home it was mailed back to me by a college kid from Va who was out there skiing shortly after us.... amazing.
    People mentioned paying it forward...... Just an idea if you travel a lot of toll roads.... I sometimes pay for the car behind me. I don't travel toll roads too much but when I do it's a fun thing to do.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Do you really? I use the Ezpass so never had chance to do that...but I did find a set of keys on the ice outside a gas station door and walked back in to give them to the clerk at the register on Monday.
    Oh and I was in a long line at the bank last week, and a guy in uniform came in, then stood behind me; and I let him go in front of me, and the person in front did the same, and after moment or two, the person all the way in the front of the line let him be next! That was cool. If I am ever in a line and a person in uniform is behind I always let them go in front of me when they'll do it, some won't. It's the very least I think I can do sometimes.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Oh and I was in a long line at the bank last week, and a guy in uniform came in, then stood behind me; and I let him go in front of me, and the person in front did the same, and after moment or two, the person all the way in the front of the line let him be next! That was cool. If I am ever in a line and a person in uniform is behind I always let them go in front of me when they'll do it, some won't. It's the very least I think I can do sometimes.
    Now THAT is cool!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Its so good to hear that there's still nice people left out there!

Thanks for sharing! And let's ALL try to "pay it forward"!!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I like threads like this. I hate the b!tching and moaning about how people are so mean and selfish and dishonest these days, not like back in the good old days. MOST people are decent, good people, still. Now and back then and in the future. It's just that we remember the crappy ones for longer.

I am glad you got your camera. I love my camera and if I ever lost it...

And I agree about paying it forward. Once I found a wallet in the parking lot, tracked the guy down on Myspace (back when Myspace was cool) and met him to return it to him. I just hope that someone does the same for me when I need it.

I follow a policy now...not always...but because life is urgent and you only go around once....

I always stop and help. (Especially if I see a horse trailer and truck on the side of the road somewhere. I have even gone home and gotten my trailer to help, and put up horses overnight at my farm. Because I drive a truck with over 100+ miles on it! )
    I always pick up the lost item when I notice it and turn it in. (Because I constantly drop and lose things.)
    I am on the lookout for people and animals who need help. (Because my animals can do it, too!)
    I ask if I can help, especially old people who appear frail or confused. (Because I am always confused and not sure where I am!)

You read stories all the time about people found dead or injured -- if only someone had asked, stuck their neck out, helped, guided in some way. I have stopped when I saw a pony eating grass in the median of Rt. 13, with four lanes of heavy traffic zooming by, and helped to stop traffic, and catch the pony, and knocked on doors until I found the owner and then helped fix the fence he broke down. I saw a riderless horse galloping down a country road, no one around. I followed the horse until he turned up a driveway, caught him, called 9-1-1, found a place to stash the horse, then went out and looked for the rider (who was safe but almost a mile back on the road.) I have directed traffic around loose cattle, caught a loose mule running across the highway, helped the police catch a loose llama, picked up an Aussie dog scared to death trying to dodge traffic on I-95 near Elkton, Md. and got him safely to the SPCA. Just last week, a construction guy had some plastic pipes blow off his truck into the road (Pulaski Hwy.) stopping four lanes of traffic; and I jumped out and helped the poor guy pick it up (the first one) and as soon as other drivers saw a small woman helping, they stopped and got out too, and we all had the stuff picked up and set back in 30 seconds and were on our way, no cops, no big deal. If everyone just worked together we'd have a better world.

I am always reminded, that "there but for the grace of God, go I"...and because my job requires me to be on the road a lot, I know I will someday need the kindness of a stranger to help me someplace far from home. So I have incorporated a "pay-it-forward" philosophy into my daily life. Yes, it could lead to danger, and could come back to bite me. But I want to have my conscious clear. I have to skid into my grave sideways with the champagne and the strawberries knowing I did all I could and didn't miss a chance. (Besides, the next I guy I help could be like a millionaire who loves horses, you never know! )
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

(Besides, the next I guy I help could be like a millionaire who loves horses, you never know! )
    Enter Prince Charming?
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

One time my dad and I were out to lunch (we used to work together) and a large group of soldiers came in to eat. My father told the waitress that he wanted to pick up the tab for all of their lunches, but she said that someone else had already offered to do it. I thought it was pretty cool that people think to take care of our soldiers like that.

I will never forget the time my roommate and I saw a horse running down the middle of the highway. People just kept swerving around it and no one was trying to get it off of the road. Roommate and I jumped out and coralled the horse off the road, caught it, and managed to find out where it came from. The people who owned the horse were beyond unthankful when we returned it and treated us like we were trying to steal their horse.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :