The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best curry comb for washing dandruffy dog?

I can't find a dog brush that I want. I'm thinking a Grooma soft touch curry (for horses) is probably what I'm looking for, but am wondering what others use. I have a weim mix that gets really dry skin esp in the winter and we have some fancy oatmeal shampoo that seems to help, but I want to scrub her down a little when she's wet to try and loosen it up.

We went to a dog wash and they had a regular grooma type curry, but it was a little to stiff for her liking. I didn't see anything in the dog brush selection, so I'm thinking a horse soft curry or a bath mitt.

Anyone have suggestions for a curry to use for bathing a dog? I have one of those jelly scrubber things in my trailer too that I could try.

Poor dog always gets horse brushes. I keep a still brush at the door to knock mud off her before I let her in. It works way better than any dog brush and I swear she loves the good scratch.

ETA- I hope this is okay to put here- since I'm looking at horse brushes...

Yes. I use a grooma curry too when I bathe the dogs (when), it really removes the corgis' old hair in the undercoat and they love how it feels.

And I also use an oatmeal or a lavender shampoo. I have found that if I water it down a bit before applying to the coat, it suds better.

For itchy skin/coat, you may want to consider an oil supplement like Salmon Oil or DinoVite.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Default I love jelly scrubbers

I love jelly scrubbers, I can't get enough of them....

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    I love jelly scrubbers, I can't get enough of them....
    yep! especially the ones that have the coarse nubbins on one side, and the fine nubbins on the other. they make a great canine chin scratcher as well. my old lab would come running if he saw me get it out of the drawer.
    Cindy

Hmmm.... the doctor just told a friend to use salt on her son's scalp while it is dry to exfoliate, then bathe with Head & Shoulders shampoo. I would use a pet dandruff shampoo on a pet, but the salt might work!

I actually just found that I think is like what you're talking about, made for dogs, for my super-short-coated pup. It was in PetSmart with the Martha Stewart stuff (ugh), but it's this one - I was cracking up at first because it looks like a horse curry, but the rubber bristles are soooo soft.

Wow- emeraldsilver that brush does look like what I was originally looking for! I might have to stop by petsmart and check it out! Did it look like it would hold up to being used for bathing- since it says it's wood. Those nubbys look nice though. I think I'd take a massage with one!

I'll have to try the salt think- but it sounds so drying. I guess I should get the jelly scrubber out of my trailer and give that a go first. The one I has has the thicker nubs on one side and softer ones on the other.

Thanks for your advice!