The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chester County Peeps - Help make our Jumper Show Better

I am on the planning team for the RHPC jumper show. I am looking for suggestions for improvement from those of you who have attended in the past and general suggestions about what you like in a jumper show from anyone who'd like to give them.

TIA

ETA - RHPC = Radnor Hunt Pony Club
    Last edited by lcw579; Jan. 20, 2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: title change

Put in some fun classes like a 6 bar class and a high jump class.

Have one ring have low level easy tracks and have the other ring have advanced tracks and heights to attract some of the bigger jumpers in the area.

Make it affordable. If you have a cause, fund raiser etc, make sure it is very clear what you are fund raising for. Make sure anyone who is helping you understands the mission and is able to clearly and concisely tell people who ask. Nothing more annoying than asking someone what is being supported and getting a bunch of blank stares.

Thanks. We do start the classes at 2' and go up from there. We have a Gambler's choice but I like the idea of adding more fun classes.

The entire show is a fund raiser for the pony club. We are the only club that still owns its property and this is our biggest fund raiser so we need it to be successful.

I'd like to add that if you're going to do some big or special classes, add them into the middle of the day so the most spectators will be there. Maybe even stop the other ring so that people can watch.

I think a major problem with the smaller shows is that they put the big jumpers at the end of the day when none of the kids are still there. I remember watching big classes when I was a kid with tons of spectators because the shows made a big deal out of it. Now, it seems like it's just rush rush rush next horse in, keep the rounds going.

If you want to inspire riders to jump higher and ride better, expose them to more of it.

Thanks for the suggestions TR.

How popular are pony jumpers? Does anyone think it would be worth adding them to the prizelist?

I was at a show last week where they're trying a new thing. All entries have to be in by 5 PM the day before the class. Then they figure out how long each class/division should take, and put that on their website the night before, and stick to that schedule on show days.

That way, people can plan their schedule for the day, without the dreaded "hurry up and wait" experience.

Of course, it will only work at shows where people can/will enter in advance.

You can find them on Facebook if you want more details- it's PSJ Shows.

yes!! We love pony jumpers and would bring afew. When is the show this year?

pony jumpers!

I think my trainer in the CC area has 2 or 3 students with pony jumpers.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruise Control View Post
    yes!! We love pony jumpers and would bring afew. When is the show this year?
    The show is May 7th.

First off ... i am majorly bummed I wont be there this year . But alas ... ill be decked out in a box at Churchill for the derby so I guess I cannot be too sad!

I guess its the hunter in me but a pairs class is always fun! I know its a bit of a pain to make the course fit for a pairs class, but I bet the class would fill. Everyone loves pairs/teams!

And you know I am all for costumes, even if it is may.

What about some fun, non jumper types like dollar bareback or some pc games? I guess it defeats the jumper part, but still fun
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

For the low jump heights I like to see them run as optimum time classes instead of fastest time.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

How much do you market this to other pony clubs as something they should attend? I am wondering if adding a dressage ring so people can do a "clear round jumping and dressage" day might attract some PCers. I know the PCers at my barn are almost 100% eventing focused and less likely to go to a "jumper" show than to a CT type show. But Radnor might be wholly different. I don't know.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Get a REAL course designer.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

vxf111, we do advertise to the other pony clubs. It is true that pony club is oriented towards eventing but most kids also do the jumper shows as a way to work on their stadium. In the past we have shared the date with a HT which affected turnout, I'm sure. This year there is no such conflict.

Interesting that you mentioned Combined Tests - we are hoping to hold a few of those this year too.

Claudius - I'm working on it! Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    vxf111, we do advertise to the other pony clubs. It is true that pony club is oriented towards eventing but most kids also do the jumper shows as a way to work on their stadium. In the past we have shared the date with a HT which affected turnout, I'm sure. This year there is no such conflict.

Interesting that you mentioned Combined Tests - we are hoping to hold a few of those this year too.

Claudius - I'm working on it! Any suggestions?
    I feel your pain. I help out with the hunter/jumper show that's the main fundraiser for the pony club at my barn. Last year and the year before I invited every pony club in Eastern PA, NJ, DE, and MD. We got very very little turnout from other pony clubs even ones close by. Such a bummer! I would think pony clubbers would want to support each other?! We ended up getting mostly local hunter/jumper and 4H types-- very few kids from other clubs. I think next year we might do a CT with clear round jumping and dressage tests instead of a h/j show.

We do a jumper derby with a big prize for ponies and one for horses. Each division has 3 classes-- choose your own line, gambler's choice, and knock down and out. Every year it seems to get more and more frightening... not sure we're going to do knock down and out any more
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I wonder if Doug King would do it? I am trying to think of someone who has ridden well set courses at the bigger shows. Laurie Jackabouskus? (sp)
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Try looking at USEF Officials for a course designer. Look for someone that has their little r for jumpers. If they live close you might find one willing to come for experience. Or they might be able to suggest someone that is in the learner program.

Make sure your judges know the rules. Have good timer and timer operator.

IMO - just because it is a schooling type show, it should be run as a recognized show. Follow as many as the USEF rules as you can so that people get the experience without all the cost.

Have good jump crew and gate people. Nothing keeps the show running better than good staff.

Ive been to one of the shows, very nice! Defiantly add a pony jumpers class- it would be a good opportunity to school a potential jumper. I love the fact that you dont have to be in a jacket- just a polo is okay. A games demonstration might be a fun idea to get people interested in pony club