The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile If you could design your own perfect blanket...

What features would you design into it?

For me, high denier (above 1200) outside, a sturdy nylon liner inside, NO Tstrap connectors (I hate them). I want both sides of the belly straps removable.

How about you all? Give me your thoughts!

I ran into a gear manufacturer yesterday in a completely different venue (non horse related) and we got to talking. Since I was surrounded by denier I mentioned the horse thing, and he was intrigued and wanted to hear more.

So give me your ideal horse blanket features! Unfortunately some are probably patented but if you like them, I want to hear it!

Thanks!

I did not have to design the perfect blanket, SmartPak did and I bought it. High neck Ultra turnout. Warm for my mare, lightweight for me handle, rump darts keep the blanket centered and the high neck means no shoulder rubs. And yeah, it' a high denier blanket!

I want a blanket that works for horses with narrow chests and higher-set necks, like Arabs. I like a semi-high neck. I also like layering systems that allow you to repair them more easily, or wash one piece at a time in a home front-loading washer - there's nothing harder to wash and sew than a heavyweight horse blanket! Tail flaps cut generously so they protect from strong winds but still allow the horse to lift his tail to poop without getting it all over his back end, and the blanket. All hardware that can be manipulated with one hand wearing a MITTEN! Leg strap hardware and elastic that can be replaced with minimal sewing and without having to buy a whole new leg strap. Ideally, hardware that can be replaced with standard pieces from the hardware store or sewing store (dream on!). Minimal details that are attractive to geldings who like to play - no extra D rings or reflector pieces. I love the Schneiders adjustable shoulders but one of my geldings likes to open and close the velcro on his brother's blanket and has trashed it completely.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betsyk View Post
    I want a blanket that works for horses with narrow chests and higher-set necks, like Arabs. I like a semi-high neck. I also like layering systems that allow you to repair them more easily, or wash one piece at a time in a home front-loading washer - there's nothing harder to wash and sew than a heavyweight horse blanket! Tail flaps cut generously so they protect from strong winds but still allow the horse to lift his tail to poop without getting it all over his back end, and the blanket. All hardware that can be manipulated with one hand wearing a MITTEN! Leg strap hardware and elastic that can be replaced with minimal sewing and without having to buy a whole new leg strap. Ideally, hardware that can be replaced with standard pieces from the hardware store or sewing store (dream on!). Minimal details that are attractive to geldings who like to play - no extra D rings or reflector pieces. I love the Schneiders adjustable shoulders but one of my geldings likes to open and close the velcro on his brother's blanket and has trashed it completely.
    Have you tried Turtlenecks?

To answer the OP, I want:
    - The shoulder dart and gusset and tail flap from a Weatherbeeta w/ Freestyle
    - The fitted elastic neckline from Turtlenecks (or really any neck that doesn't gap)
    - The removeable/replaceable surcingles and leg straps from Turtleneck
    - Not less than 1200D
    - The slots for the surcingles from Shires/BoB
    - 100g, 200g, 300g, and 400g weights (or a neat, well-thought-out and executed layer system like Rambo)
    - Reflective strips in a few locations like Turtlenecks, or piping like the Dover Northwind
    - A well-fitting, matching neck cover like the Dover Riders/Northwind lines
    - Waterproof, breathable
    - Fleece-lined withers
    - Availability of nice colors, not just hunter green/navy. Solid colors would be best, for us dorks to match to our barn colors
    - Availability of different drops... the drop on many blankets is a bit long for my horses, though I think surcingle slots like Shires (and BoB) has would likely help
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I'll play coz this is a biggie for me, it frustrates the bejeezus out of me every winter.

Only one request if you are going to make BIG blankets for BIG horses, size 84" and above, please realize that the longer the blanket, the LONGER THE DROP needed.
    Bigger horses, aren't just longer, they are DEEPER.

Picture to proof my point, I have posted it here before. Woohoo blankie fits horsey, uhm lengthwise, shame about the belly hanging out.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25888...03033870oroRTb

So if this thread gets into the hands of any blanket manufacturer, a 45inch drop is not a luxury on 84"+ blankets, it's a necessity. Currently 42 and 40inch drops in most blankets = mini-skirt!

Off my soapbox now, as for the rest, I'll settle with most, preferable 1200D indeed and the option of either a matching neckcover or high neck.
    And a wide long tailflap, horses like to stand with their butts to the wind when it's cold, a smallish flimsy tailflap is useless, Weatherbeeta's freestyle tailflaps are cool.

Basically, the Pessoa blanket with the elastic in the neck, but with a bit more nylon lining around those darts. Aside form that, I LOVE that blanket!

The T closures don't bother me at all. But I do want the snaps on the front rather than buckles, and the rings that snaps attach to need to be triangle-shaped, not D-shaped.

The Rambo Supreme without the V-neck (I hate it); with a T-closure in front instead of the snaps and a longer tail cover. I actually like the T closures.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I'll play coz this is a biggie for me, it frustrates the bejeezus out of me every winter.

Only one request if you are going to make BIG blankets for BIG horses, size 84" and above, please realize that the longer the blanket, the LONGER THE DROP needed.
    Bigger horses, aren't just longer, they are DEEPER.

Picture to proof my point, I have posted it here before. Woohoo blankie fits horsey, uhm lengthwise, shame about the belly hanging out.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25888...03033870oroRTb

So if this thread gets into the hands of any blanket manufacturer, a 45inch drop is not a luxury on 84"+ blankets, it's a necessity. Currently 42 and 40inch drops in most blankets = mini-skirt!
    ^ this!! big dittos!!!!

Owning one full and one 1/2 draft showed this to me. Granted, my "yaks" don't get blanketed much at all, but when they do, it'd be nice to have their bellies covered. AND all big blankets should have a High Neck option for the drafties.... their withers are just too wide and get rubbed by non-high-necks
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Stainless steel buckles.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup