The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn lighting question

Our barn was originally built for race horses and it was done the cheapest way possible. There are seven stalls in there and only 3 lightbulbs. We would like to add a bunch more lighting and be as cost effective as possible. The barn is set up where the stalls are across from each other (3 stalls on one side and 4 on the other). What would you guys suggest as the best lighting set up? Florescent bulbs, those twisty bulbs?....?

Thanks!

We have long fluorescent tubes (I want to say they are something like 6 feet long). They cover a lot of space; otherwise you have to have multiple individual bulbs. In five years I have yet to replace a single bulb!

(though, my lights are on for about an hour a day on average)

Are you just wanting to use different lightbulbs? Or have extra lighting installed?

Since you already have electrical service in the barn, it wouldn't take much time or $ to wire it for additional lighting. A row of 4' flourescents down the middle would probably light the place up like broad daylight.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I actually prefer to have lights along the sides (both sides). With lights down the middle you have lots of shadows. Ask me how I know.

Unless you have a big need to make sure all corners of a stall are lit when a horse is in there, it's fine to have the light source in the middle. Mine are 4' long flourescent, but the type that come on easily when it's cold - can't recall what that term is.

My barn sidewalls are 12' tall and over the center of each stall is one light bulb. In front of the stalls is another row of lightbulbs- one in front of each. I use the twisty flourescent type bulbs. Very bright when all the lights are turned on.

Default Lights

I have the flourescent tube lights. They are 4ft long, spaced about 8ft apart, in two rows, both sides of the aisle way and at the far end where we have two small "pony" stalls that face down into the main aisle, a twist type bulb (the new ones you get these days).
    My barn is very well lit with this system.

In my last barn, I put up strip lights-can't possibly remember the name-but they were cold-proof flourescent inside an opaque plastic box. They were about 3' long I think. Now I have bulbs in glass with a basket and I can't staaaaand the darkness/shadow factor.

Oh look, Lowes has them...

American Fluorescent 48" 2-Light Utility Flourescent Wrap Light
    Item #: 86124 | Model #: 86124
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We have the traditional light fixtures with the basket and regular light bulbs in the stalls. In the aisleway she installed the cold-tolerant flourescent tubes and they are great.

I have a center aisle barn with flourescent tube lights along both sides of the aisle, just above the front of the stalls. Each side has two rows of lights, one pair in front of each stall. I believe the lights are 6' long each. It's probably the best lit barn I've ever been in. I didn't design the barn - it came this way. I will, however, do a similar set up when we build the next barn because I really like it. I don't need light bulbs in each stall because these lights light the aisle and the stalls very well. It's probably lighting overkill and we could get away with less... but I sure do appreciate it when I have to work with the horses at night.

This set up makes the barn nice and bright at night, which I really like. I don't have to use the lights much at all during the day because we have skylights above every stall that let in lots of light.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Mine are 4' long flourescent, but the type that come on easily when it's cold - can't recall what that term is.
    I have these: cold-ballast fluorescent
    They give plenty of light, my 36X36 barn is well-lit by 2 banks of 2 fixtures each.
    The tubes are 8' each, 2 to a fixture.
    I placed one bank over the stalls so if I needed it brightly lit (ie: if a vet needed to doctor a sick horse in the stall) it's available.
    Each bank is operated by a separate switch so I can turn on only the one in the aisle w/minimal disturbance to horses in the darkened stalls.

I prefer the CBF as there's none of the annoying (to me) buzzing when they're are on like halide.
    Plus they go on & off immediately.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    I have a center aisle barn with flourescent tube lights along both sides of the aisle, just above the front of the stalls. Each side has two rows of lights, one pair in front of each stall. I believe the lights are 6' long each. It's probably the best lit barn I've ever been in. I didn't design the barn - it came this way. I will, however, do a similar set up when we build the next barn because I really like it. I don't need light bulbs in each stall because these lights light the aisle and the stalls very well. It's probably lighting overkill and we could get away with less... but I sure do appreciate it when I have to work with the horses at night.

This set up makes the barn nice and bright at night, which I really like. I don't have to use the lights much at all during the day because we have skylights above every stall that let in lots of light.
    I did that in my 6-stall center aisle barn, except it is a single tube fixture. That way I get light in the aisle and in the stall (two for the price of one). The nitwits that built my barn had only two of those cheapy single screw in light fixtures in the aisle, it was dismal in there at night, I couldn't see!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

jamaicabraden Guest

i would suggest fluorescent bulbs