The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you consider an UL event rider?

Question from a clueless hunter gal.

If a person claims that they are an upper level event rider, what does that mean to you? What level would they have competed at and for how long? Do they have to be winning at this level?

Thanks!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I draw a potentially odd distinction between someone who has competed at the upper levels (min. prelim, ideally intermediate at least) and someone who IS an "upper level event rider". The latter implies, to me at least, that the rider has ridden several horses at intermediate and advanced.

And UL event rider is someone who consistently runs I - A courses.
    My blog
    Follow me along my eventing journey! Complete with mishaps

Vegas! 'Nuff said.

Depending on the context, either Prelim and above or Intermediate and above.

In either case, with at least 4 qualifying results at the specific level.

Winning doesn't count, but qualifying results do -
    - not more than 50 penalty points in the Dressage Test; and
    - No jumping penalties at obstacles on the Cross Country Test, and not more than 90 seconds (36 penalty points) exceeding the optimum time; and
    - not more than 16 penalties at obstacles in the Jumping Test.
    -No Dangerous Riding
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

To me- intermediate and above.

I don't know, if you are talking about someone coming to try a horse or give lessons claiming to be an "upper level rider" (as in, who actually does claim ULR, not who *should* be entitled to claim ULR), I would take that to mean that they have competed at at prelim, but I would not necessarily assume wins, qualifying results, any months/years of experience, numbers of horses, etc.

If it is a person you are considering doing business with, you could always ask more questions or look them up on USEA.

Agree with Beam Me Up.

It also drives me crazy when people say they do 3 day eventing but they haven't ridden at the upper levels. I always try to nicely correct someone if they introduce me as a three day eventer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll ever earn that honor!

FWIW, I consider someone who rides (or has ridden for many years) competitively at Intermediate through Advanced as an ULR.

I like what someone once told the boss- there are lots of people who ride at advanced, but there aren`t that many advanced riders. So, yeah, I`d go along with the general concensus that a ULR is someone who has done it with some profficency (not necessarily winning) and consistency and/or they have sucessfully produced a few decent horses over the years to the UL. There are plenty of people who routinely ride in the UL and fancy themselves pretty hot stuff who I think are full of themselves and have a lot to learn. Just because you`ve ridden at X event doesn`t mean you`ve got it going on...in most cases it just means mom and dad can afford nice horses

not me. ; )

I ran only 5 prelims 3 years ago. And 1 CIC which I TE'd several times over.

I'm out.

Though Prelim may not be considered UL...I certainly would not consider it LL.

then again, when I was trying to figure out what my horse would be eligible for in the hunters and I siad he was an FEI horse. I didn't know if that would have any significance or not for eligibilites.
    There just happened to be someone that felt the need to mention on several occasions that the horse competed in only 1 FEI competition and was eliminated (and said it all with a rude manner).

hey, the horse completed his QRs and I paid all the bucks for a passport. He was an FEI horse. Just not a PROVEN FEI horse. ; )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post

FWIW, I consider someone who rides (or has ridden for many years) competitively at Intermediate through Advanced as an ULR.
    I agree with this. I have completed a couple of preliminary events, and hope to do more. I am NOT an upper level rider, and will never be.

"Winning" isn't really part of the definition. Competent, completes safely, typically with a qualifying result as defined by Janet, yes. Winning, no.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Someone who regularly and successfully (doesn't mean winning, but not coming in dead last, say top 10) competes at Prelim and above. In my mind, BN-T are lower levels and P-A are upper levels, especially because starred events start at Prelim. The technical level of jumping and dressage requirements are much greater than BN-T too, so that's why I count Prelim.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

It also drives me crazy when people say they do 3 day eventing but they haven't ridden at the upper levels. I always try to nicely correct someone if they introduce me as a three day eventer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll ever earn that honor!
    So if if someone hasn't ridden at the upper levels then they're not a 3 day eventer? Then what are they?
    There's strong and then there's eventing strong.

I'd say a ULR is someone consistently and reasonably successfully competing at Intermediate and Advanced (meaning, finishing with a number, not a letter score, and usually without more than the occasional 20 XC). I've done multiple years at Preliminary and a CCI* (long format) on a variety of horses with some decent ribbons and pretty consistent finishes and I'm still aspiring to be a non-wince-worthy adult amateur ("not bad for someone with a day job" is a high compliment in my book). I wouldn't dream of calling myself an ULR.

Talking

Agree with Beam Me Up.

I loved the one who, when she said she did three day events, answered when queried as to which "3 days" she had done, gave me a strange look, and said "Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventing Strong View Post
    So if if someone hasn't ridden at the upper levels then they're not a 3 day eventer? Then what are they?
    If you've competed in a *,**,*** or 4 star, then you can say you are a three day eventer. Otherwise, you are an eventer, just not a three day eventer.

I did qualify to do a * years ago and I've completed approximately 20 Prelims on 2 different self trained horses but I would never consider myself an upper level rider by any stretch of the imagination. My goal is to become a solid Prelim level rider. I'm not scary to watch (at least I hope not!) but I'm not someone you would pick to emulate, either. I've yet to have a picture good enough to send to GM to critique.

I have found that the more that I learn and improve, the more I really admire those that can do this sport at the upper levels.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I loved the one who, when she said she did three day events, answered when queried as to which "3 days" she had done, gave me a strange look, and said "Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    ROTFLMAO! I have heard that one too.

If you've competed in a *,**,*** or 4 star, then you can say you are a three day eventer. Otherwise, you are an eventer, just not a three day eventer.

I did qualify to do a * years ago and I've completed approximately 20 Prelims on 2 different self trained horses but I would never consider myself an upper level rider by any stretch of the imagination. My goal is to become a solid Prelim level rider. I'm not scary to watch (at least I hope not!) but I'm not someone you would pick to emulate, either. I've yet to have a picture good enough to send to GM to critique.

I have found that the more that I learn and improve, the more I really admire those that can do this sport at the upper levels.
    Got it Does a half star count?
    There's strong and then there's eventing strong.

I think the eventer/3-day-eventer distinction is internal to eventers.

Like, if someone from another discipline or a non-rider asked me if I was going to a 3-day event and it was just a horse trials I'd probably be impressed that they knew about eventing, not try to explain the difference.

I think it is only a distinction among those who have done a CCI or are aspiring to do one. The rest of the equestrian world is oblivious.

What GS said. I have done many prelims on two horses and 2 long fomat cci* and a couple intermediate. I am so *not* an ULR. Consistent with multiple horses at at leat intermediate
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!