The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Myler vs KK bits

I am a big fan of KK bits. For those of my horses that go in a bit I usually use one of these double jointed bits. I have one horse who I am considering trying something different.

The only experience I have had with a Myler was with one horse who put his tongue out the second and third times I rode him in one. It was a level 2 comfort bit I think--go figure.

I am looking for anyone who has had a good experience with a Myler. If I get one it must be dressage legal for eventing.

I've used one! My trainer often uses them as a small step up from a KK, and then back to the KK after. The legal ones are the level 1s, no port, no hooks. Did the job nicely on a horse that wanted to hang.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I had tried my horse in a bunch of bits to get him to reach for a connection, and the loose ring MB01 has been awesome for us.

Not fussy, slobbers up a storm, and is quiet and happy with this bit.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Have you tried the very thick KK on a younger horse. I have found that works really well. They are not sold everywhere and can be hard to find but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I've used one! My trainer often uses them as a small step up from a KK, and then back to the KK after. The legal ones are the level 1s, no port, no hooks. Did the job nicely on a horse that wanted to hang.
    This horse, an OTTB, occasionally wants to lock the jaw and pull for a stride often during a transition but not always. Checked all the usual stuff, now on to a bit change. This horse liked when I switched to a double jointed Baucher recently but now is back to old habits. I just want to make sure the bit is not the problem.

I am considering a Micklem bridle too for this sensitive horse.

My old horse likes his bits real thin. He is also a tank with lots of opinions. He always went in a french eggbutt but was happier (and more compliant) in a Myler (loose ring, wide barrel).

Some horses find them too thin for dressage, my other one found it a little sharp and would want to tuck behind it a little. He is in a KK knock off, copper losenge loose ring.

Different strokes. But for horses who dont like a ton of movement, and have fleshy mouths that find thicker bits offensive, they seem to work.

I have a baucher with the myler comfort snaffle. I went with the shorter drop. My guy really likes to lock at the jaw and poll and I can get him soft with this bit.
    I have used a waterford and like that bit but it isn't dressage legal so the baucher it is.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I love the myler bits, almost all of my horses go in them--from BN babies to my Advanced horses. Great for horses with funny mouths and that don't like tongue or bar pressure. I have found they can run large though, and I have had the most success with a 4 3/4 D ring level I comfort snaffle.

The do run a touch large, but I talked to a Myler rep about those concerns at WEG and she basically told me to buy the size I normally would (5") and adjust the cheeks accordingly. Apparently they're supposed to hang out of the mouth more or something? But that being said, I got my butt CHEWED by a pure dressage person for "pulling on my horse's mouth" when I kept explaining that it was a Myler bit and that more of the bit naturally hung out of the mouth. She wouldn't believe me, even if I showed her that there was as much bit out of the mouth on both the inside and outside reins, but I think she was more intent on making me cry for the 3rd week in a row.

That aside, I like (not love) my Myler bits. The plain loose ring snaffle, no rotating barrel or anything, worked well before my OTTB was very well trained. It was skinny enough to get his attention. My horse's biggest problems were hollowing his back, locking his jaw, and sticking his head and neck up like a giraffe.

I switched him to a normal KK when I thought he was more broke and wanted something a little softer (in my effort to get him to stop being SUCH a jerk on the flat). It worked. The Myler is still his stadium bit.

My other OTTB is rediculously picky about bits- absolutely no loose rings or double jointed mouthpieces. His favorite bits include a copper mouth eggbutt, a Happy Mouth mullen racing dee, and an eggbutt Myler with rotating barrel. He likes the Myler ok, but I don't think it was worth the $80 or so I spent on it. He was still just as fussy with his head, just as tense, and just as awkwardly crooked through the poll/neck as with his other bits. I've actually had the most luck going back to his mullen mouth dee.

My guy has a small mouth, and a low palate, and he was fussy fussy fussy. Fussiest horse I have EVER ridden. Tried for YEARS to get him steady in the bridle. Tried happy mouth, tried sprenger mouth, tried KK, but was not successful until I tried the comfor mullen mouth Myler.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that bit. My horse will FINALLY settle into the bridle and stop fussing. I would swear by it for anyone with a sensitive/fussy, small-mouthed horse.