The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default DAMMIT! Another stray! Update - Owner found!

So, tonights adventure, a stray under my father in laws car in the driveway. Very nice young female Australian cattle dog, blue, friendly (once we bribed her with treats out from under the car).

So she is in the garage in a dog crate, emails sent to all the neighbors, and I sure hope she belongs to someone.

And I wish that someone would put a collar on it with a tag!

My daughter is already asking if we can keep her, and I keep saying no.

I don't want to just up and call animal control, last time I did that, it turned out to be the dog of one of my neighbors, who does not believe in collars, and he never went to look for the dog at the pound. By the time I discovered it was his dog, it was two months later. A/C told me the dog got adopted.
    Last edited by MunchkinsMom; Jan. 19, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

LOOL, if they don't bother looking for a dog for 2 month....serves them right!

At least the dog got adopted!

Good luck finding the owners (I know I would be plum out of luck....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Hope you find the owner soon. We had a choc lab young female show up here two months ago. Kept her for almost a month. Called everyone. AC knew she was here and I offered to keep her, thinking someone must be missing this dog.

Nobody ever claimed her. Another neighbor finally took her in as I was kind of full up in the big dog department.

Good luck.

Take her to AC, and post fliers everywhere you can, and put ads on CL, and the local paper (mamy papers allow free "Found" ads). State in the ads, "At AC".

If the people that lost her are so irresponsible as to not have her microchipped/tagged and contained, they deserve to have to pay a fee to get her out.

Personally, I'd probably get her spayed before dropping her off. Irresponsible owners probably haven't had that done, so if they got her back, it will keep her from adding to the pet population.

Bring her into a vet and see if by chance she has a microchip. If so they can find out from that who she belongs to. Most vets will check for chips with no charge.

Whew! Thanks to my APB email, and posting on FB, we found her owner. Yup, same guy that lost the other heeler 2 years ago. He came by to pick her up this morning. One neighbor saw my post, knew the guy that owned the dog, said he was out looking for her, and she told him where to come and get her.

I'm hoping that after spending the night in a crate in our garage that she will decide to keep her self on the farm. If not, at least now I know her name, and where to bring her back to if she comes by again.

Owner told me I should swat her on the behind and tell her to go home (which is about 1/8th of a mile as the crow flies). I would rather give her taxi service.

I'm not going to get into trying to change his mindset about dog management and containment, he is the older cowboy type, I'll just save my breath. And pray that the sweet thing has a good guardian angel.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOOL, if they don't bother looking for a dog for 2 month....serves them right!
    Completely agree.

How can someone "not believe" in collars, especially when their dogs clearly keep running away?

Default we are on our 4th this winter

One turned out to be claimed, the other 3 we fixed and gave all of them their shots and placed them...except one.....the biggest one, of course. Anybody want him...he's bigger than a shetland pony.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    Completely agree.

How can someone "not believe" in collars, especially when their dogs clearly keep running away?
    Well. . . in his defense, I only know of one other dog that he owned that ran off, and it was during a thunderstorm, and I suppose if I had not called Animal Control that she might have eventually found her way home after the storm. And of course the fact that he didn't bother to call them to see if anyone had turned in his dog - big sigh.

His other dogs stay on his farm. One of my other neighbors told me that this was the first time they had heard of the pup leaving his farm. She did seem to be very happy to see him.

Not that I would ever recommend this type of dog ownership, but I don't make it a habit of trying to tell other people how to live either.

I'm hoping that her night in "jail" (in the crate in my garage) will make her think twice about leaving home.

MM,

It's unlikely that her night in "jail" will make her think twice about leaving home, but you did the right thing. The dog and its owner are re-united. That's the important thing. Kudos to you for being a great neighbor!

I was always very concerned that my dog's collar be loose enough to slip out of if he got it caught on something. I knew of a dog that was strangled by his collar that was too tight to slip out of. Unfortunately, that also meant he might lose it.

Good for you for taking good care of the doggie. About collars, my terrier looses her's regularly, just bought a new one today. I'd rather have it come off than trap her. We also have to lock her up for thunderstorms as she panics and bolts if we aren't home. Woe to me if I haven't kept up with the forecast!

Default Bless you for helping her get home

Bless you for helping her get home ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

So far so good, no visits from her! I was worried that she might come back to visit because we fed her.

It did feel good to actually find her owner and so quickly, it breaks my heart to have to turn a stray over to the pound. Especially after reading all the posts here over the years about lost dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    I knew of a dog that was strangled by his collar that was too tight to slip out of. Unfortunately, that also meant he might lose it.
    Breakaway dog collars. Awesome. You can make them tight enough that they can't slip out of them, but if they do get stuck they'll rip right off. My SO's childhood dog hung himself on the fence. Because of that, he takes it seriously, so everyone (cat included) in our family has breakaway collars.

The only person to "lose" their collar was the cat, and I knew the breakaway snap was weakening and would likely come apart. (given the location where it was found, she likely wasn't actually stuck on anything, unless she was stupid enough to get a limb trapped in there)

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    Not that I would ever recommend this type of dog ownership, but I don't make it a habit of trying to tell other people how to live either.
    I should take lessons from you. That is my goal, but I'm not always successful, especially when it comes to animals.

Two strays this morning in the snow storm. Both friendly, obviously well cared for. An intact male boxer and a great Pyrenees. We gave them some food, some water, and let them hang in the horse trailer. Reported them to the police (and animal control) who said, leave them alone, they will go home. We have no leash law.. UGH.

WHY NO TAGS? I would have loved to call the owners. The boxer didn't even have a collar.

Grandpa's hunting dog doesn't have tags for obvious reasons but she does have an embroidered collar that has his phone number on it if she gets lost. It's gotten her home once after a horrible thunderstorm in the middle of the hunt.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I am on my 3rd stray cat within 8 months...

One that came to me recently was sitting on the side of my road...her mother, a beautiful orange cat, had just been killed by a car and the kitten (now named Stella) was laying next to the body. I drove past on my return from the market and there she was! Stella was very grateful to see someone and came to me right away. She is sitting by my computer now as I write this and doing really well...

Another that came in was a very large orange male cat. Named OC (orange cat), it took a couple years (!) for me to get close to him. He was eating well all that time here and I did manage to worm him via the food in the barn. Finally, I got him in a crate (he weighed in at 16lbs) and off to the vet for all he needed. He is now at my friend's as her barn cat and very content.

And the last that came a few weeks ago, is a male, black with yellow eyes, and 12lbs. He became very friendly, very quickly. He is gorgeous! Litter trained and social. I would love to find him a home. He has had most shots (needs a booster in 3 weeks) and is now fixed. If anyone has a need or knows someone that wants a lovely large cat, please let me know? I am an hour west of Albany, NY...

Thanks!

Was the Great Pyrenees a female? Remember that long thread about the missing one from a year ago? Perhaps???? Wasnt her name Charlotte?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Well, I was at my other neighbors house (the one that contacted the stray dogs owner) this evening, and she told me she found a dog collar in her collection, used a permanent marker to put the owners number on it, and put it on the dog today. We don't know if he let her continue to wear it, or if she is sans collar today.