The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down He's growing GOAT hair?!?

Every winter, my horse gets fuzzy. He has a really good light, gets let out every other day or so, and has about 6 layers of thick blankets, a hood, and a slinky to keep him warm (not like we put them all on at once, only if needed!). He is growing goat-like hair between his legs, under his chin and on his throat area, and his legs. It's absolutely ugly!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of this, other than clipping? Or even how to prevent it?

I kind of want to avoid clipping, because he turns orange for some reason and he looks really bad, even with skin-so-soft and Whanna Win which is supposed to get their color back fast.

Also, currying has not worked, it seems like I have tried everything to get it off, and nothing works besides trimming the hair, and that still doesn't do that good of a job, considering theres a lot of it!

Any tips?

It's what they do

Just use the clippers to clip their length back to that of the rest of the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's what they do

Just use the clippers to clip their length back to that of the rest of the hair.
    He's the only one in the barn with actual, long, goat hair! They all got fuzzy and grew a coat, but his hair is long!

I was trying to avoid clipping at all costs

Oh well. Haha.

Certain breeds will grow these feather-like hairs. My Dutch Warmblood grows them under his chin and on all four fetlocks. Looks like a mini Clydesdale if I don't trim them. Clippers are the only way you are going to get hair off. You don't have to clip it down close, just get the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    Certain breeds will grow these feather-like hairs. My Dutch Warmblood grows them under his chin and on all four fetlocks. Looks like a mini Clydesdale if I don't trim them. Clippers are the only way you are going to get hair off. You don't have to clip it down close, just get the edges.
    Hes an Appendix, and he has never gotten it before... It's really weird!

My new tb has this too. It looks pretty funny, but I don't worry about it.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    My new tb has this too. It looks pretty funny, but I don't worry about it.
    I'm so much about my horse's appearance, that it just bothers me. I think my trainer is going to body clip him... Sadly

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I had one do this...he turned out to have early Cushings....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I had one do this...he turned out to have early Cushings....
    What is that?

Wait just read on it... It's not like their coat hair, its almost like human hair, just in small tiny places on his neck, chin, and in between his legs.

It's not like this:
    http://www.vetstream.com/dalehead/ht.../24_266710.jpg

The hair looks more like the hair that makes up the mane, and less like their coat. Only it's the color of his coat. I'll take pictures tomorrow!

They are called guard hairs. They are meant to help trap air between the hairs to keep warmth in as well as direct water away from the body. Some horses get them more than others. They should shed out with the rest of his winter coat in the spring. Guard hairs on a summer coat can be a sign of parasites or general lack of thriftiness.

Agree....guard hairs, longer, coarser than the winter woolies...lay down flat on the top of the winter coat if there's rain/snow and help drain water off so it doesn't soak in and chill the horse. Will shed with winter coat in the spring (you can hurry that up with lights although probably too late to make a big difference in shedding date now)....have a dappled buckskin and he sheds all the winter hair except his guard hairs in the middle of each dapple...those hang on for a couple weeks longer but do eventually shed....or I just trim them.

You've probably never seen a totally unclipped Welsh Cob (people avoid bringing them out in public!!), but without regular clipping - even in the summer - they grow a goat beard exactly like you're describing. It's a breed thing, it's a winter thing, but unless it sheds unusually or grows in really strange places, I wouldn't worry about it.

Default My horse too...

My horse grows the goat beard too. I just tell him they're old-man hairs and I clip them off. They make it really hard to buckle the noseband without ripping 3 or 4 out at a time.

I figured he would rather me trim them off than pluck them out every time I tack up...

My Appendix gets them too! Every winter. I laugh at him and then clip them off.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

All my horses get these, especially my older, almost cushings mare. You dont have to clip him, just take some scissors and carefully cut them back.

As long as you don't find goat hairs growing out of YOUR chin, appearance is fine.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

My white Arab gets them, as well as a goat beard. All he needs is a horn and he'd look like one of the old-fashioned unicorns in the fairy tale books...

I leave 'em alone until spring when he starts sweating again, and then they come off with his trace clip.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

They are guard hairs, and have an expert clipper pro come and lightly go over them in the direction of the hair growth (not against as usual) with the clippers upside down and they will finish the same lenghth as the rest of the coat. A little time consuming, and very easy to mess up (I usually take a chunk out on accident) but definitely neatens up the coat.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Back in the old days, they used to singe them off.

One thing to note though, is that they can be an indication that a horse needs worming, or it's nutrition looked at.