The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stackable feed bins instead of trash cans - who uses these (see link)

Does anyone use these. They say they can hold up to 50lbs of kibble, wonder what the relation is to grain?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...feed+container

We have a small feed room – trying to maximize the space as well as make it more efficient.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

While they stack nicely, they are NOT rodent proof. Meeces and Ratz will chew thru the plastic in a heartbeat.

I will always choose a Dead Chest Freezer for all grain storage.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

we have them here and are used via grass liveries who share small feeds as 3 to one feed room they work well

none hhave had rats or mickeys in them yet

We use them. Our feed room has a cement floor and is enclosed from the barn, so rats (vomit) aren't really an issue.

As an aside, I have never seen a rat in the barn. All of these rat threads lately have me edgy. ;-)
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I use these from Suncast:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...M8AKNTJV5SWSG1

They are stable, hold 50 lbs. of grain, opening is large enough to accommodate a scoop. I've had mine for at least two years. They're holding up well. I have 2 stacked in front of my stall, but in a feed room, you could probably go 3 tall.

Metal oily rag bins are a good option; http://www.reliablepaper.com/Product...00&click=53222
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I use these from Suncast:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...M8AKNTJV5SWSG1

They are stable, hold 50 lbs. of grain, opening is large enough to accommodate a scoop. I've had mine for at least two years. They're holding up well. I have 2 stacked in front of my stall, but in a feed room, you could probably go 3 tall.
    This looks great and I can get 4 for $50 very affordable
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    Does anyone use these. They say they can hold up to 50lbs of kibble, wonder what the relation is to grain?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...feed+container
    My mom has these in her tack room, and they're a big PITA. The opening is too small to easily dump the feed in from the bag, so when you try to do it, they tip over and spill the bag all over the floor. The ones stryder posted look much better.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

We use these: http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-Recycl...sr=8-1-catcorr

You have to un stack them to fill them, but the whole top comes off, making them relatively easy to fill. They hold a full bag but just barely. I would suggest planning for two bins per type of feed. That way, you can get the whole bag dumped, and you are rotating the left overs.

I haven't found that the rodents get into them at all. The way my Mom keeps house in the feedroom, there is always plenty of spillage or open bags around to keep them fed. Which is why MY feed goes in the nice clean tidy bins. Bleh.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

I use them in my house for my dogs. I would think they would hold a 50 lb bag of feed pretty easily since my dog food bags are about the same size (40lb and there's room to spare).

But I stick to garbage cans in my barn because they hold 150lb+ and I go through enough of it to not want to buy or store grain "by the bag." Could be a way to maximize space usage in a small barn where not a lot of grain is fed, though.

One thing I will say is nice is that the stackable bins have a little hole that you could clip shut if they were in an area horses have access to, making them inaccessable even if they were knocked down or tipped over.

I have the Vittles Vault ones. I did not like them stacked, so I have them sitting side by side in my tackroom. They do hold 50lbs of grain easily. I stand mine up on their end, then carefully open the bag of grain halfway, stuff the open end into the hole and hold the bag upright to filter the grain in the container. I usually don't drop any grain, but it took a little trial and error to figure out the best way. I found that if you try to stack (3) of them - each holding 50lbs - the bottom one will crush. They might be designed to hold 50lbs in volume, but not necessarily withstand 50lbs sitting on top of them! As far as mice and other rodents - during the summer months, mine sit OUTSIDE in the lean-to and they have never gotten any bugs, rodents or other critters in them. They make great storage for products like Stall Dry or Sweet PDZ also.
    Cindy

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I use one for the dog's food. It's enough of a pain that I wouldn't want to deal with a bag of grain and that type of container, never mind the 150lbs I put in each garbage can I use today. Dumping grain sucks. Dumping grain more frequently in a small mouthed itty bitty container sucks too much for my pain threshold.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I use them for my BOSS and flax seed. I originally got them for grain but I go through grain too quickly to make them worth the hassle of always unstacking/re-stacking.

We use this for our dog food. Lid comes off very easy to poor in the food.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suncast-72...s-Dogs/9606596

Dawn

pour

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    My mom has these in her tack room, and they're a big PITA. The opening is too small to easily dump the feed in from the bag, so when you try to do it, they tip over and spill the bag all over the floor. The ones stryder posted look much better.
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the picture. The stacking feature is nice but I know I would completely knock the whole stack over trying to empty a fifty pound bag of feed into one.

I use rubbermaid containers from Wal-Mart or Target. Not the greatest I guess, and they don't stack, lid barely pops closed, but I have not had bugs or mice in them yet. Very easy to store opened OR unopened bags of feed in.

Default Love them

I have used them for years-at least 14!! Same ones, no holes. I have 2 rows of 3 stacked on top of each other and have never tipped them over. My horses have dumped them and they have stayed shut. I love them.