The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have some Royal Riders that my horse won. I liked them so well, I bought another pair for my saddle.

I like how much lighter my saddle felt with them and I liked how more secure I felt with the wider tread.

The biggest negative I think is that with the wider tread, you are a bit more prone to have more foot in the stirrup which takes away some of the flexibility in your ankle...so you have to be more aware about keeping them more on your toe.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have 3 pairs of composite stirrups. Obviously I'm fond of them. 1st pair I bought were expensive -Prestige brand. Contrary to what some people are saying on this thread the Prestige rep said that these stirrups are easier to get back, should you lose one. The heavier the stirrup, the more it swings. I probably test this theory more than I should but I've found that to be true. Maybe we should ask our resident rocket scientist.

I don't have any pain problems (at least not in my feet and legs), so I don't have an opinion about that.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I rode in a pair of the $35 Composite ones last week and boy are they nice! I really liked how my foot felt in the stirrup and I liked that they had a bit of flex. I'm not a fan of the black plastic look though. Do the Equi wings have any flex to them? Any suggestions for a "shiny" pair?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plainbay22 View Post
    I rode in a pair of the $35 Composite ones last week and boy are they nice! I really liked how my foot felt in the stirrup and I liked that they had a bit of flex. I'm not a fan of the black plastic look though. Do the Equi wings have any flex to them? Any suggestions for a "shiny" pair?
    I second this question..residing in hunterland, I'm not sure how well the black stirrup look would go over. Are there any stirrups similar to what's being discussed here that have a more traditional look?

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    I second this question..residing in hunterland, I'm not sure how well the black stirrup look would go over. Are there any stirrups similar to what's being discussed here that have a more traditional look?
    I think much like GPAs, wrap collars, and softshell jackets, black stirrups will become acceptable in the hunter ring. It's the kind of thing where not everyone has them, but they're becoming more common as the eq ring fashion is influenced by the jumper ring, and then the hunters influenced by eq, and so they're not a total oddity.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    I think much like GPAs, wrap collars, and softshell jackets, black stirrups will become acceptable in the hunter ring. It's the kind of thing where not everyone has them, but they're becoming more common as the eq ring fashion is influenced by the jumper ring, and then the hunters influenced by eq, and so they're not a total oddity.
    True, true! In that case...I think I'll order some!

1 members found this post helpful.

My stirrups arrived and I schooled XC in them yesterday. So they had a good long ride to tell their tale.

LOVE THEM!
    Do I love the way they look? nope. I did get the aluminum so at least they *look* kinda normal from far away.
    They are about the same weight as my small Stubben schooling irons.

Between my new boots (with much more substantial foot bed) and the wide track stirrups I have ZERO foot pain for the first time in 3 years.
    When I dismounted yesterday my knees were still stiff and I moved funny for a bit but I didn't frown in pain like I usually do.
    The feet were A-O-K.
    : )

thumbs up for wide tracks from me.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

2 members found this post helpful.

This thread has been a real eye opener! I've always had toe numbness issues for as long as I can remember in all sorts of stirrups (jointed flexy ones, normal ones, ones where just the foot bed moved, etc). About 4 and a half years ago I tore my left ACL (skiing) and then a year and half after that tore my right ACL (ultimate frisbee in college). I've had both replaced (not at the same time of course ) and ever since have always had knee pain while riding. Not enough to cause me to stop or hobble off in pain after dismount, but annoying enough that I constantly feel the need to take my feet out of the stirrups and stretch my legs.

I purchased a new saddle in the last year or so and thought my old saddle would be great to keep for trails and things so as not to ruin my good show saddle. Never got around to buying stirrups for it though...now is as good a time as any! I ordered the composite reflex wide tracks from Horseloverz (because coupons!) so we will see if they make a difference...if not at least I'll be encouraged to ride in my old saddle again
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!