The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default It is not the stirrup per se........

It is the position of the stirrup iron in relation to the foot, width of the horse,
    the "quality" of your foot/ lower extremity itself,
    then the strength and function of your lower extremity that matter.

Changing stirrup irons are "until proven otherwise" a bandage at best....

General fix......
    Outside branch back to match the balls of all 5 toes
    NO Heels Down ever- multiple threads on that debate available
    Off horse eval to find same or opposite side compensation/weakness in your strength
    Strengthening to address those compensation/weakness.

Regards,
    Medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.equicision.com

Default Similar to Royal Rider

After reading these posts I'm going to buy the extra wide track stirrups TOMORROW! I found a couple less expensive stirrup irons with basically the same features on the Dover site:
    Equi Wing Wide Track Stirrup and the Composite Reflex Stirrup Irons ($65 and $35, respectively). I'm probably going with the Equi Wing and definitely cheese graters.

I'm just going from hunters to eventing, and not young anymore, and the extra stirrup width sounds like it will provide me additional support and security, especially with shorter leather lengths.

THANK YOU, Fractious Fox, for posting this thread!!

I also get numbness in my foot when I crank my stirrups up, but haven't really found a differnt iron that helped. What I did find are these :http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/I/SCIP.htm. They are amazing! Help with knee and ankle pain, dont lose stirrups, and numbness is not a problem. These are seriously the best thing in the world. Period.

Just a PSA on those flexible stirrups. I was warming up for a jumping clinic and had just finished cantering when my flexible stirrup broke. My horse loves to splash in the water and gets my legs pretty wet. The flexible part inside the rubber rusted and let go. I was lucky it let go when it did and not while I was jumping.
    The worst part was as I was tacking up that morning I notice the branch of the stirrup above the rubber had some rust. But it was just surface rust. I was annoyed that they were less than a year old and already showing some rust. It never occurred to me that there could be rust under the rubber cover.
    I did love those flexible stirrups. They really helped my knees on long trail rides. They were also less flexible than other ones I have seen so I didn't lose my leg stability or overflex my ankle.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

I recently purchased the Composite Reflex Stirrups ($35) and really like them. The one thing I noticed is it really brought to light the fact that I sometimes draw my legs up, now I'm very concious of it and am working at developing a better base of support. Also when I work without stirrups, my horse doesn't mind them when they bump his sides. Another plus is they make the saddle lighter, especially when your tacking up a 17 hand horse.
    Last edited by horsecents; Jan. 25, 2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added text
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Oh! I'm excited to see my mundane topic was actually a successful one! I'm amazed at the extra responses I've received - Thanks guys! I'm sorry that I didn't respond for a while, I had to go out of town for a funeral.

Anyway, I just ordered a pair of inexpensive composite wide track irons from VTO. They were $35 and had good reviews on various sites (including this thread!). It was between these or the Equiwing's at Dover.. I decided to go with the less expensive ones to a) see if the wide foot bed even makes a difference and b) because I was already ordering from VTO anyway.

This past weekend I went to a local tack shop and picked up a pair of Royal Rider?? carbon wide track irons. They were NICE. I didn't even ask the price, but my instructor and I both lamented our pricey tastes. What I liked about it though can be found in less fancy knock offs. Then, today I had a lesson and had the same old numbness in my foot. In my case, I think the numbness has to do with a set of previously broken toes (they were broken more than once). It's only those toes on that foot that have problems. I'm really hoping that this will help!!! I came home and decided that today was the day! Onward to new irons! I'll report how they perform on this thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. Now, people who are wondering about irons have a place to go!

Reviving the thread (I started one in the dressage area but am doing more research).

I've been using what I think are plain stirrups with these: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/I/SCIP.htm

and have had no foot or knee pain for the month.

I just switched back to my HS Bows and in two rides my knees are puffy and sore.

I thought heavy stirrups were safer to "get back" but it doesn't sound like many people on this thread are losing their composites ... and I am attracted to that black color.

New ideas?
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I have the wide Composite stirrups and I love them. It may be because they are wide, but I really like them. My foot doesn't go numb in them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HPNBMU I have a pair of these that I foxhunt with. I've never had an issue losing my stirrup and not being able to get it back. They're actually pretty hard to lose in the first place. My feet rarely come out of them. I can hunt for hours without my knees hurting. I'd recommend them to anyone. They feel very stable. The footbed tips just a little to compensate for the wide track, but it doesn't bounce around on you like the jointed stirrups can. It only tips one way also.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I suffer from numbness in the stirrups, and I got the cheaper composite stirrup -- and they have made a huge difference. Not entirely the answer but a long, long way toward more comfortable. Mine were under $40 for the pair and well worth it. They have nothing special on the tread, are lightweight, and I have no trouble finding them, riding in them, even hunting several hours -- no problem. Well worth the relatively small investment!
    Ditto on the cheap composite stirrups. Retread - are yours wide track or regular?

My mom bought a pair of the cheapo wide track composite stirrups ($25-30) for me a little over a year ago to try - I originally didn't want them because I'm one of those people who instantly hates anything that seems to be just a fashion trend... She talked me into at least trying them out, though, and I LOVE them.
    I have had tendonitis (achilles) for years and have always struggled with pain when riding. I have tried jointed stirrups, peacock stirrups, regular heavy fillis irons... NOTHING worked. Until these. I haven't had tendon pain when riding since I put these on my jump saddle. And I agree with the other posters - I actually loose my stirrups less frequently with these. And when I have lost a stirrup, I've found it is no harder for me to find and pick it up than a normal heavy fillis iron. Bonus - I find that the ones I have also offer a better grip/more tread when wet. But that's JMHO.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HPNBMU I have a pair of these that I foxhunt with. I've never had an issue losing my stirrup and not being able to get it back. They're actually pretty hard to lose in the first place. My feet rarely come out of them. I can hunt for hours without my knees hurting. I'd recommend them to anyone. They feel very stable. The footbed tips just a little to compensate for the wide track, but it doesn't bounce around on you like the jointed stirrups can. It only tips one way also.
    Yep! Those are the ones I have I think!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I hurt my achilles tendon about a year and 1/2 ago. I went to the compostite wide based stirrups in an effort to alleviate the pain from flexing my foot/ankle. I love them. I also find that they hold your foot in postion due to the tread in the footbed. At first the "lightness" of them felt weird, but I got used to it quickly.

This is kind of an embarrassing question to ask...but do the composite irons have a weight limit? I'm not THAT heavy...(currently 175, but working on losing) but I ask because years ago I managed to bend a Kwik-Out iron, which I didn't even realize was possible, and I probably weighed about 40 pounds less then than I do now....

I used to get a numb baby toe from my fillis irons. Like you, I do not like “flex” irons, and I like the weight of metal (easier to retrieve a lost iron).

I ended up getting the Equiwing wide track aluminum stirrups.

I LOVE THEM. No more numb foot, they look traditional, are a bit lighter than fillis irons, without being as light as composite. They come with two different foot pads, black rubber, and cheese grater – I use rubber in the summer, grater in the winter.

Love love love them.

I use the wide track composite irons, no flex or anything, with cheese grater pads. My feet and knees hurt due to RA, and these are WAY more comfortable.

Also I never lose a stirrup. I think they could possibly be more difficult to find if you lost one, but thats from my perspective of being rather stiff and unable to bend my ankle/leg/foot around to get it back. Happily, this has never been a problem as I just don't seem to lose them ever. If I did I would just halt, fix it and continue and I personally would need to do that with a regular stirrup anyways, or continue on without the stirrup. The bonus for me is that if I choose to continue on these ones are so light weight that they do not disturb my horses if they bounce on their side.

They also don't fall down when lunging.

My feet don't hurt as much with them and the joints of all my toes have lots of inflammation - I can't walk normally most of the time.

I feel very stable in them, much more so than in jointed/flexible stirrups, or in regular stirrups which cause me so much foot and knee pain that I just cannot use them.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I just bought a pair of the composite wide track stirrups but haven't tried them yet. Question, what are these cheese grater pads some of you are talking about?

Duhh....I think I answered my own question....that is the pad they come with correct???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Fractious Fox View Post
    Thanks guys for all of the input! I do suspect that to a large degree, less is more in the stirrup department. It's interesting too to see the different views on the composite irons.. I'd still like to know what the manufacturers tout as their benefits though. Delta, I think I'd like offset eye that you mentioned as to me, the ability to find your stirrup is the most that you could get out of the newer styles on the market. All the ones I've seen for sale though are a bit too spendy for me right now.

Looking forward to seeing other responses.
    If you want to try some cheap composite/other unique stirrups, check out Horze:
    http://www.horze.com/Stirrups/stirrups,en_US,sc.html

With the 50% off code MERRYCHRISTMAS, there are plastic stirrups on there for $10. Might be worth trying them out to see if you like them, if there aren't any you can steal off other saddles at the barn!

McVillesMom, I am significantly heavier than you and have not had any problems with the composites.

ok folks.
    I'll be another guinea pig.
    My feet go numb, the balls of my feet hurt, the arches of my feet hurt, and my knees hurt. And I have turf toe on my left foot that hurts so bad that sometimes I can't walk.
    I also suffer from extreme dorsiflexion and also my toes over flex.
    So basically....my toes will point straight to the sky--this in turn pulls on my patellar ligament and hurts my knees even more.

I've been trying to make myself more comfortable for the past few months.
    I bought the stirrup pads (those black wrap arounds) they rock but they don't help me with pain at all.

Today I went and bought better boots. No more Ariats. Even the best of the best Ariats have a crappy foot bed when it comes to my extreme neediness. lol.
    So I've bought good Justin work boot types--that allow far less felxion of the foot bed in general.

I'm buying the Equiwings from VTO (I just can't go all black so I have to buy the more expensive Equiwings to get a tradition color. boooo)

I will report back.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Let's hear it for those wide track, composites! Best $35 I've spent in a long time!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).