The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wait, I can't possibly own 5 horses....

So, how did this happen:

Had many horses, sold all but the competition horse when I moved to PA in 2002, as of August 2003, 1 horse.

August 2004, sell that horse to teen rider and in November 2004, get OTTB.

September 2006, OTTB injured. Have surgery done, rehab and place in a lease home (I still own him, but he is fully leased)

Dec 2006, buy the spotted menace (now I have two)

December 2008, after a successful season at training level, he was sick, recovered, but needed to rehab somewhere with more turnout. Sent him down to Debi Crowley where his rehab could also include lots of turnout.

March 2009, fall in love with and buy OTTB Fingerlakes Finest (now I have 3)

November 2009, Spotted Menace goes to Deltawave on lease.
    January 2010, realize Fingerlakes Finest does not want to be an eventer.

March 2010, leave FF in Florida to be sold as a hunter, buy warmblood muttly pony (bred to drive, but very cute - so now I have 4)

Ride muttly pony. Crappy economy, no FF sale.

January 2010, find out that horse #1 now 19 needs a new home, so I buy him (now I have 5). He is leased to one of FlightCheck's students - all is good.

But somehow, I have 5 horses when I really only mean to have one. It is clearly an addiction.

Does this happen to anyone else?
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It clearly IS an addiction, although I've only ever "accidentally" owned two. The second found me when my first had a career ending injury and was on stall rest for 6 months until we could figure out how well he was going to heal. Bad economy - rehomed both horses, 2 years later have started over with just one...for now.
    You can't fix stupid.

You only have FIVE now ~~~~~ more to come ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Who are you? And how do you know what I'm thinking?
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

I have 5 andone in foal, so soon to be 6! what was I thinking???

I have 3 that i own and 1 lease...
    1 forever lame and pasture puff.
    1 pony (leased out but the people who were supposed to lease to buy leased for superrrrr cheap for over a year and then said ohnowaitwedontwanthim.)
    1 super talented competition horse (who btw, i'm not riding anymore...uhm)
    and 1 lease horse!
    And I'm only 16...thank god for being able to work off board bills!

LOL. Welcome to the club.

Jennifer

I can't sell any of my own horses-horses bought for resale I can, horses bought for me, nope. So I had my first horse for over 20 years. Right now I have 2 retired event horse and Maggie (FF Louise found out was at New Holland) who will never be riding sound just all hanging out. Another FF and a Point Given gelding waiting for me to be riding again to start. Then I personally own 2 mares and 1 geldings I show, plus a pony horse. My husband only has one whenever the farrier comes and I pay the bill every 5 weeks I wonder why I have so many and how did he get so smart! I'm bad, I order dewormer in groups of 12 and justify it as saying I do client horses with it as well. Yea, 1 or 2 of them lol!

I'm not counting but we own 10, so don’t feel bad! I'm actually thrilled I can give my old show horses a permanent retirement home. I retired one somewhere else once, it was a disaster and I wouldn't do it again, besides I love my old men and love seeing them daily. I'm such a sucker
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Talking

ONLY 5?
    Seema, you are just a babe.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

They are kind of like potato chips that way...Lol!
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

You have no idea.... and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it easy to suddenly have "one more"... thankfully my boarding barns stay full so getting another is a hassle. Because I really should be cutting down on my bills, not adding more horses.

I have 2 permanents: my retired mare and my gelding. I just sold an OTTB at the end of last year (may be taking him back- people are in financial trouble) and almost took another local OTTB resale yesterday...

When I saw this thread on the main contents (author not indicated) I laughed, thought "I have to read that" and laughed even harder when I saw who wrote it!

Because scubed reminds me a little bit of me . . . I "officially" own one horse and one Shetland pony, but somehow I've got five on the payroll as well, including one Spotted Menace of scubed's as referenced above. Who did NOT TELL ME he hadn't eaten all his Ace powder today before I rode him and was suspiciously perky. He's starting to pocket his pills, God help me!

Since SM is still laid up, the Shetland's only purpose is to be cute, and the two others eating on my tab are weanlings . . . I'm left with about the same number of horses to ride as scubed.

There is safety in numbers. We are both sane, responsible adults. Right? RIGHT??!!

And up until he was sold, I was looking at a CANTER horse only half-halfheartedly. But that one wasn't for ME. That makes a difference, right? RIGHT??!!
    Click here before you buy.

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    You have no idea.... and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....
    oh how I have soo done that too!

mmmm...I'm up to 6...only 1 is leased out. Oldest is only just 11. AND I'm breeding two of them....so will have 8 in 2012 if all goes well (those two will be for sale....at least that is the plan).

Yeah...and I still don't even have fencing on my farm (horses are all boarded out) but that should hopefully be fixed this spring.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Is this the horses anonymous club?

I'm up to 5 and a half. Only two are "useful" (i.e. I ride them) but 4 should be in work... (sigh, no time for 4)

The 1/2 is a wee shetland pony so he doesn't count as a whole horse. He barely can see out over the stall wall and so people don't even notice he's there.

2 are homebreds, so no purchase was necessary (does that help the situation or my guilt?)

The most shameful confession- I absolutely love my youngest homebred. My mare is quite old (25) so no more breeding her. And I'm trying to determine at what point in time would be the most appropriate to shop for a youngster by the same sire as my youngest. You guessed it - a filly - so I can, at some point in time - breed again.

Oh, the shame. I am a hopeless addict. Absolutely pathetic isn't it?

I had 5 for a very long time, thus my name. Have 10, but have capped it at that now for 3 years to convince myself I do not have hoarding tendencies.

I got the 'extra' 5 thinking I could rehome them...yeah, that was in fall of 2007, just the beginning of a jittery economy. Most are broken and not really rehoming material. I did get one foal out of an unbeknownst pregnant mare I helped and that little guy is my pride and joy, and my next driving prospect. He is my baby, and everyone knows it.

I should probably change my name to tenhorses, but I like the sound of five better!

So, you are doing alright with 5!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Very funny thread! I only have one... I think. Last I looked, anyway. But owning him is like owning five, perhaps.

I have 6.5 horses. This is because one of my equines is Casper the Mule.

Three and a half live up here with me -- a 26 year-old Belg/Saddlebred/TBx, a 22 y-o TB mare and a 32 y-o QH -- live on the farm here. All are retired from riding life. And then there's Casper, of indeterminate age and unknown experiences. I wouldn't dare call him 'retired' because he's very active in the business of being a mule.

The mare's three daughters are on the east coast in training/competing situations.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

try 9...... well sold one yesterday --

Went on a trail ride; friend invited some new friends --- they ended up insisting they Had to buy my horse -- um, sure, ok, no arm twisting there! (go figure, campaigning/showing this guy for 6 months, 15-20 showings, tirekickers; you've all been there-- then out of the blue --without trying!)
    Could have also been because their horse was just SOOOOO bad

Started with just one re-train and selling my track ponies every 2 years -- into, retrains I couldnt resist, and 2 daughters following suit with their retrains.

we all know that addictive phrase : Whats one more?

I have so many in training, I started a lesson program!

OP, you seem to so easily gather horses, perhaps you might want to consider teaching too
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680