The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Who else is not turning out today in SE PA?

I barely made it up the hill to my barn. I think the footing is too treacherous to turn my horses out, but then I am ultra conservative and overprotective too. Who else is keeping their horses in today?
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

blazing24 Guest

Smile

I live in SE PA and my three horses are staying in also. I have a 40 plus year old and I don't want to take any chances with him falling, plus it was just too slippery. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Mine always have access to their stalls & lean-to. So far both hoss & donk have opted to stay under cover. The horse wandered around outside when I went to feed & even rolled! The crust is breaking underfoot but I can’t imagine its fun to be out in it.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I'm having this debate right now. I'm in Central NJ.
    We've got about 1 to 2 inches of snow with a solid crust of ice on top. In some places I don't sink thru the toplayer anymore.

Either I turn out today and they break the toplayer up and make if safe for themselves, or I keep them in and worry the continuing frost overnight will make the topcrust only harder, and slippier, and even less change of them breaking thru in certain areas tomorrow and the days thereafter, unless we get a good thaw, but latter not in forecast right now.

They've got icestuds, theoretically all should be fine, but husband just said it's my responsibility, if something goes wrong it'll be 'me'.
    I think I'll do a testwalk in hand.

Lieselot, Let me know. I have a 23 and 21 year old, both barefoot and a coming 4 year old who is quite fractious at times. she has front shoes with snow pads and drive in studs. I never thought about tomorrow...
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I'm in Virginia and if I do turn out today, it will be in the afternoon.

This morning the paddock was a solid sheet of ice. Real leg breaking ice.

So they're in their stalls - complaining.

Chickens won't come out either.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default Not me!

I'm not even putting the dogs out for very long. IT IS HORRIBLE out there! I would if there wasn't an inch of ice coating everything but since there is, everyone (including me) is staying in today!

I'm in south central PA, and my mare will be out!
    We have two inches of snow on the bottom and half an inch of ice on top at the moment. Her big ol' Quarter Horse booty will break right through that, and I know she likes to stomp around and hear the noise her feet make. Plus, it's supposed to rain through tomorrow...I'd like to get her to break through the ice before it gets dangerous.
    My dog will go out a few times today as well!!

They are in for now, will re-evaluate at noon when I take more hay down, in Northern Central MD about mile from PA line, got about 4 inches with ice sheet on top, so far have broken through everywhere I have walked but hoping it will get a little above freezing, calling for 34 so far 28
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Not too bad here; mine are out. No solid ice, just slush.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Mine are out. They are wearing waterproof blankies- although the rain here is just about done. The ice is on top of the snow, and they are breaking right through it. I am actually more concerned about a re-freeze, overnight, or especially later in the week, than I am about what we have currently.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

They are out and they're breaking thru it, they are stomping, so they seem to realize they've got to break it.

But they aren't moving around much, they've got a track from the gate to the run-in and back to the waterbuckets, but other then that, they have no interest in moving.

I'm very worried about tomorrow and the days thereafter, because if it continues to freeze as they forecast this could easily turn into an ice skating rink with this saturated layer of snow. And what they don't break thru today, they may well not be able to break thru at all later in the week.

I turned mine out though I was prepared for them to be in. I only had a thin sheet of ice on TOP of snow but not on anything else ( like the driveway even though it is stone). We went out into the paddocks and they were not slippery. If they were, mine would have been in.

I think the fact mine have been out in the snow made it "not a sheet", they are barefoot.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I'm on the border of VA/MD/WV, and turned out about an hour ago. I broke through as I walked to the barn, and our pasture is completely flat, so I put some barn hay out (they also have rounds) to keep them entertained and less likely to run around. I have a meeting at lunch time but otherwise will be home to keep an eye on them. Thank goodness for old guys who take good care of themselves. If any of them were trouble-makers, I might have been tempted to keep them in until after my meeting.

Oh, and onelove -- I LOVE your "Location:" -- it made me LOL!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Mine have been out the whole time.

No underlying snow, and the ice is "crunchy" rather than slick.

Last night while it was coming down, they were grazing in the far field and took their time about coming in for dinner.

I put their hay undercover, but by morning they were out in the pasture again. When I looked out this morning, they were playing "rodeo horses" on the side of the hill. Even the 29 year old. But no evidence of slipping.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The conditions are similar--a couple inches of additional snow, and freezing rain on top. My horses were out when it was snowing overnight, but I pulled them in this morning from the sleet and freezing rain. They were breaking through the top layer of ice from the freezing rain. The only reason I brought them in is because I don't have shelters in all of my fields. They are now happy, dry, and warm.

Default Still In

Mine are still in.
    The walk from the barn to the pastures is just too icy. I barely made it from the house out to them, slipped and did a penguin walk the whole way, carrying a bag of rock salt with me, to treat the walkway as I went.

Driveway is SOLID ice.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

My driveway is awful- it is the paddocks that aren't. My guys have hay and sheds, along with the waterproof blankies.

Janet-- are you lost?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Mine went out early, when the freezing rain was just starting. They have lots of hay out there and everyone has waterproof blankets on. I'd rather they break everything up now than carry on on a slick sheet of ice later.

I have an old guy (who should know better!) who will tear around like a bronc & wind everyone else up if he stays in when he thinks he should be out. It's easier to keep him settled if you keep his schedule. This morning they all wandered out calmly and started munching with no fuss.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I'm with Mia - mine all went out on their normal schedule and were fine. I'd rather they go out now then have 36hrs of pent up fire to make them nuts.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.