The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have you ever screwed up really bad at work?

Yeah. Title says it all.

I won't get into the details too much because that would require some medical billing explanation, and that's just boring to most people. The short version is I screwed up at work, I have an MD quite disgruntled with me, and tomorrow I will have a boss quite upset with me. She was out of the office today, or she would already be upset with me.

It was an honest mistake, an oversight. No that doesn't excuse it, but I'm not trying to make excuses. I don't have a great explanation other than honest to God human error.

I really like my job and I work hard at it. I don't like making mistakes in ANYTHING, so this is very upsetting to me.

By the way, when I say I have an MD disgruntled with me I want to clarify that I don't work in his office, so my error was not messing up a patient's medical info or anything. It has to do with billing.

So anyway, I'm prepared to own up to my mistake, make no excuses, give my absolute humanly best effort to not make another mistake, and rectify the one I did make.

So anyone got any "I screwed up, but it all worked out" stories to make me feel better?

Well, not as serious as billing but a few years back, when I was bartending I thought the bar was empty (we had closed) and was doing a little inventory. I dropped a wine bottle, it smashed and I roared

SH!T GAWDDAMN F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!

at the top of my lungs, heard the gasp and stood up to see an older couple seated there, mouths agape and everything.

I should mention the restaurant was very upscale and also that I no longer have a cussing habit. I should also mention my boss love(d) me and that is the reason I wasn't in hot water.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Oh. And remember the Les Schwab guy? On the commercials? I dumped a tray of beverages on his lap. And, instead of apologizing, buckled over laughing. I wheezed, gasped, pointed and had tears running down my face.

I can truly say he is a very nice, kind and forgiving man
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I assume this mistake is fixable? That is, you can correct it and the MD will no longer be quite so disgruntled?

I also assume this is not a pattern with you - these kind of mistakes don't happen every week or every month?

If the above is true, I think you apologize to the MD and to your boss, do whatever it takes to fix it and it will all blow over and be fine. Mistakes happen, unfortunately. Luckily most of them can be fixed so just apologize, fix it and do your best not to repeat the mistake.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

I've screwed up a few times and it's all worked out some way or another.

I commend you for the "no excuses" approach. I had an MD I loved and who loved me, angry with me for a mistake I didn't make and I just said "it won't happen again". We moved on.

Here's the thing: Best case scenario, it's just some finger-wagging and "try not to make that mistake again".
    Worst case scenario, it's "we think you might be better suited somewhere else".

Most likely it's scenario 1 - but, if it were the second, it WILL be ok. It may not feel that way, but I promise you, you are more resilient than you may think.

Mistakes happen - we are human. Billing errors suck but they can be fixed. The doctor should know that. My guess is, he does and he just enjoys being a jerk.

Yeah me! I called out my immediate supervisor on a lie that she is using to cover her own mistake, which she is telling to try to blame it on me. Then she said that I was insubordinate.

I have not taken it to her manager, I just had it out with her personnally because I've had enough. I did it by sticking to the facts and being very business like. She has bald-faced lied to me before. But it comes out sounding wrong if I tried to rehash history and bring that up to support my position. So I just tried to be clear and succinct right away with the facts as they were, but given the liar's personality she immediately went into her defensiveness and did the bully counter attack.

I think that you are very right to own up right away. Is it fixable?? at all? It's not like someone died, it's a piece of info/paper.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I assume this mistake is fixable? That is, you can correct it and the MD will no longer be quite so disgruntled?

I also assume this is not a pattern with you - these kind of mistakes don't happen every week or every month?

If the above is true, I think you apologize to the MD and to your boss, do whatever it takes to fix it and it will all blow over and be fine. Mistakes happen, unfortunately. Luckily most of them can be fixed so just apologize, fix it and do your best not to repeat the mistake.
    Yes it's fixable, it just shouldn't have happened in the first place. And the doctor's office caught it, not my office, which isn't great.

And no, not a pattern at all. I've worked there six years and have never messed up anything too badly. Actually a few weeks ago my boss pulled me to aside to thank me for doing a really good job on a non-related account.

I'm just bummed. I don't like screwing up. I don't like having people upset with me. I hate confrontation so I know I'm going to be nervous walking in the door tomorrow and having to discuss it with the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    Yeah me! I called out my immediate supervisor on a lie that she is using to cover her own mistake, which she is telling to try to blame it on me. Then she said that I was insubordinate.

I have not taken it to her manager, I just had it out with her personnally because I've had enough. I did it by sticking to the facts and being very business like. She has bald-faced lied to me before. But it comes out sounding wrong if I tried to rehash history and bring that up to support my position. So I just tried to be clear and succinct right away with the facts as they were, but given the liar's personality she immediately went into her defensiveness and did the bully counter attack.

I think that you are very right to own up right away. Is it fixable?? at all? It's not like someone died, it's a piece of info/paper.
    I learned the very hard way not to ever, no matter what anyone says, tell anyone that the boss has told a lie or multiple lies or has done inappropriate things with subordinates. No, I did not get fired for this, but my life was made a living HELL.

Yes. ROYALLY. I owned up to it, apologized (profusely) to all parties involved, and literally spent weeks just sick over it. I couldn't sleep at night, it was awful!

My boss was kinder than kind and knew it was a beginners mistake and that I never had a bad intention.

Seriously - own it, apologize, make it right, and move on. You'll be ok!

This should make you feel a little better...

In college, I worked at a tanning salon. We had the billing program where it takes the money out of your account on the first of each month. We had probably 400 customers with this billing system. The computer automatically bills them when it hits midnight on the 1st.

I was screwing around on the computer one morning before we opened, and somehow changed the date to the 1st. (I think I was trying to scroll to a different month and somehow changed it...)

I got MANY calls that morning from people whos accounts had been charged.
    I dont remember how much trouble I got in, but for some odd reason, I didnt get fired!

OOPS

Default So sorry Gray horse

The world of medical billing is a bitch. It's simply untenable and a nightmare of crazy codes and numbers. If you made a mistake, bless ya, because there isn't a soul in the world who can seamlessly navigate the morass of insurance bullshi@4 that we are expected to command.

The world of medical coding and billing is out of control. It couldn't possibly be more complicated: I'm guessing that you know that.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Horse H/J View Post
    Yes it's fixable, it just shouldn't have happened in the first place. And the doctor's office caught it, not my office, which isn't great.

And no, not a pattern at all. I've worked there six years and have never messed up anything too badly. Actually a few weeks ago my boss pulled me to aside to thank me for doing a really good job on a non-related account.

I'm just bummed. I don't like screwing up. I don't like having people upset with me. I hate confrontation so I know I'm going to be nervous walking in the door tomorrow and having to discuss it with the boss.
    I'm in HR. I have always said that if an otherwise solid employee messes up unintentionally and owns up to it, I will work with them all day long--especially if that employee comes forward first. I want people with unfailing ethics--but I know full well I will never ever hire the perfect employee, because that person simply doesn't exist.

Now, if you cheat the company on purpose or have a crummy work ethic I will be all over you like a cheap suit.

Your high level of integrity is what's causing you to stress. People who don't care would be able to sleep well. So be proud of your honesty and commitment and hold your head high.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Track down your boss tomorrow as soon as possible, tell them you made a mistake, explain it, apologize deeply and tell them what you are doing to fix it and keep it from happening again. Call the Doctor's office mgr, apologize to them, thank them for catching the mistake and tell them what you'd like to do to fix it/ensure it won't happen again.

What Jetsmom said.

Take the initiative, go straight in and 'fess up. The one time I messed up that badly, I was so upset about it that I offered to resign, and pretty much was convinced I'd be job-hunting.

Boss wasn't thrilled but forgave me. A few days later he saw the funny side & started making sarcastic jokes about it (we share the same sarcastic sense of humor). I'm still employed.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Listen to jetsmom and War Admiral and you will be fine. Again, the fact that you care and are willing to take responsibility is 99% of the battle.

Good luck and try to get some rest--you will want to be sharp and if you're tired you're likely to feel more sensitive.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

One time we were at a trade show and my husband brought my (at the time) 18 month daughter along. Hubby went to the bathroom and I turned my back to help a customer. DD was coloring. Well she drew with permanent ink on a leather STETSON seat we had there for decoration. It was only about a 800.00 piece of equipment. I thought for SURE between the three bosses I would be fired. They hid it from the one boss. I was in the clear. I think that piece is in our tack shop now at work.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

No, I haven't screwed up really bad that I know of, but I'm always afraid I will. Working 12 hours shifts in the ER, at night, with limited staff, and a full load of pt's, is a perfect situation for a mistake to be made.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Track down your boss tomorrow as soon as possible, tell them you made a mistake, explain it, apologize deeply and tell them what you are doing to fix it and keep it from happening again. Call the Doctor's office mgr, apologize to them, thank them for catching the mistake and tell them what you'd like to do to fix it/ensure it won't happen again.
    Great advice and exactly what I had assumed you were planning to do.

If you think medical billing sucks now, just wait until ICD10 starts....OMG, so not looking forward to THAT mess!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Okay I have a socially mortifying one for you:
    i'm maybe 2 weeks into a new job. I overhear one of the other ladies on the phone with "Mr. P******" Due to the nature of our work, I had my suspicions that Mr. P on the phone may be the same Mr. P that is teaching my (now ex) fiance biology and even with my help (I have a formal education in the subject matter) Mr. P was failing my fiance. I'd been to group dinners of his students that all vented about how no one passes his classes, etc.
    So Lady in my office walks up by my desk to send a fax. I say "was that Mr. P who is a professor at blah blah?" she says yes. And in a moment of poor judgment and wanting to bond with my new coworker (who must know this dude's off his rocker a bit) I say "He is such an AS$!" why that blurted out my mouth I have no clue.
    She looks at me a bit stunned and says "that's my husband"
    She had her desk moved to the other end of the floor.
    doh.

On a different note, as a manager, I'd rather someone admit fault and come to me with a solution. That is far easier to forgive and move forward than someone defending and giving excuses. We as managers don't care why it happened, we want to know how to fix it, and how to prevent it from happening again.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble