The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Options - Walk thru door?

I am looking for input on options for a 2-horse GN. Specifically the walk thru door from the tack area to the horse area...is it really worth the additional money? Pros/cons?

I'm asking b/c this means custom order versus buying something that is currently on the lot (window, no door).

Thanks in advance.

I don't have one in my 2h gn and I have never missed it. I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for sure and I wouldn't pay extra for it either.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have one of those doors. I have used it exactly once-- untacking the horse inside the back during in a sudden rain storm.

I like it, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. That's because the dressing room is so small that most of the time, you'll have to move stuff around in there to use the internal door..... which means a trip around to the outside one anyway.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I had one like that, it was nice. I used it quite a bit when I had a problem loader.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

If you are going to camp in your trailer - yes get it. Really nice to be able to use the back of the trailer to store stuff you don't need while spending the night in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I had one like that, it was nice. I used it quite a bit when I had a problem loader.
    I have a full size escape door on either side of the trailer, so I never missed having a walkthrough to the tackroom. I do have one in my 3h LQ, which makes it nice when the generator is in the back and you have to deal with it in the middle of the night.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

My boyfriend's trailer is a Hart 2H slant load GN with LQ up front (just a "weekender" package, though we frequently take it on weeklong trips). He does not have a walk-through, because the LQs are set up in such a way that the shower, teeny-tiny closet and toilet are right there.

Honestly, I've never felt we were really "missing out" by not having the walk-through. A friend of ours does have a three-horse slant load GN, with a walk-through, but is seems like that really reduces the amount of usable space in his LQs (his trailer is an Exiss.

It's really just a matter of personal preference.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

A walk thru escape door to the outside of the horse area is a must. A walk thru into the tack room: the problems with the ones I have seen: the hay and sawdust/shavings that get tracked into the tack room, the floor/wall space taken up by the door, the possiblity that the horse could paw the door directly in front of them open and risk getting hung on something in the tack room. If the trailer already had it, I wouldn't not buy it if it was otherwise what I wanted, but I certainly would not custom order it.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I have a full size door to the outside and a door that goes into the tack room Honestly, the only time I ever use the door in the trailer is when I can't get through the other. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it. That being said, if I were staying overnight places and had a "cowboy shower" set up, I would like the inside door.

Someone mentioned the dirt that gets tracked through..so true an drives me nuts.

I don't have one, and I don't miss it. I could see a walk through door being handy if you camp overnight in your trailer and want to put a port-a-pot or cowboy shower in the back. I'd like to have one for the potty reasons, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. It's not that big a deal to walk around.

I use mine constantly, but I camp and the horse area becomes my bathroom when camping - potty, cowboy shower, etc. I do wash & sweep it out once I arrive, so the stuff coming into the LQ is minimal. If I didn't camp, then it wouldn't be so important.