The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking of going on BC

I am debating going on birth control. Not because I am doing anything, but for the simple fact that my cycle is so irregular, I would like to know when it is coming!

I am trying to figure out costs and if my insurance will cover any of it without directly asking my mom (I am still on her insurance and if I tell her what I am doing she is likely to flip out and assume the worst of me). Would going to the doctor count as a specialty office visit? My insurance covers that (like my dermotoligist). Would that and the BC itself be the only out of pocket costs?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

You need to go the OB/GYN for a pelvic exam first, if you have never been. Your insurance should cover your annual exam and part of the BC.

I've been on Loestrin24Fe for several years and have no complaints. Technically, you have four day period on it, but I actually don't have a period at all on it, which is fairly common. It's not alarming to me, as I'm in a committed relationship and am religious about actually taking the pills. For you, since it sounds like you're not sexually active at all, not having a period might be something you'd like.

The downside is that Loestrin is one of the more expensive BCs. It's about $45 per month, after insurance, but there is a patient savings card that your OB/GYN should be able to give you which makes it $24 per month.

Your mother will get an EOB (explanation of benefits) regardless.

An irregular cycle can be a sign of a problem, it's something you probably want to get checked out anyway. My suggestion would be going to a low-cost clinic or Planned Parenthood or even your regular doctor and getting some counseling on how to address it with your mother.

Something like this:

"Mom, my cycle is really irregular, and I heard maybe that's not a good thing. So I went to Family Doctor, and he/she told me it might be x, y, z and that's serious. Family Doctor thinks I should see an OB/GYN."

Then while you're at the OB/GYN just quietly go on BC.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I hope your mom would be supportive of an annual pelvic exam. It's good sense, regardless of whether or not you're sexually active.

You need one anyway to get a BC scrip. So, your out-of-pocket cost should be copay for the pelvic exam and the uncovered cost of the BC.

If you're anywhere near a Planned Parenthood, give them a call. I can't say enough how professional and helpful they are, and they're used to dealing with all sorts of insurance types.

(Whups, posted at the same time as everyone else. Hope it works out for you!)

Does Planned parenthood do the exams? I am near quite a few!
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Yes, they do. I've never had a family gyno, just went to the closest PP.

YMMV on the doctor, since you never know who you're going to get if you don't ask for specific people. I did have one exam where the guy was a little brusque (like, old military guy brusque, which can be a little scary), but everyone else has been wonderful.
    Last edited by WildBlue; Jan. 17, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: More info
    ---------------------------

Have you talked to your mom about pain/irregularity? If you explain to her that this is the only purpose of BC, will she listen? IME, secrecy is more likely to backfire, with good reason. If you're upfront,you'll come across as responsible and trustworthy; if you try to sneak around, and she finds out, that doesn't come across as trustworthy at all.

If you absolutely feel you can't tell, Planned Parenthood is an option. If you don't have much income of your own, their services are very inexpensive (I went there for a few years when I was uninsured and got a very low rate on the exam and the pills.

As for the pills themselves, I went on them when I started college because my periods were so painful that I would miss school every month and didn't want that to happen anymore. It helped immensely, and I'm still on the pill 20 years later. The first few months it made me a little nauseous, bat after that, nothing. An annual exam is doubly important if you're on the pill, though.

If you're over 18, even if you are on your parents' insurance, you are protected as an adult by privacy laws.

Awesome! Thanks WildBlue and everyone else for all the help!
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Mine is $13 a month. I was on one that was $52, asked the Dr. for a generic form, and I've been on this one for about 8 months now. I wish I had gone on it about 2 years ago, because I was so out of whack.

Now? I've got it timed to within 1-2 hours of when I get my monthly visit. Amazing.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

I would go to Planned Parenthood at least for an exam and they have low-cost BC options there. But I'll also tell you my story. I think I either have cysts or endometriosis or the like. Get period every month but it varies when and for how long but it's always VERY painful. A couple years ago I went on the pill, the lowest dose one whatever that was called. It DID regulate my period and it wasn't as painful. But it also made me *insane* and made 1/4 of my hair fall out. Kept at it for four months but just couldn't take it anymore. Moral of the story: go ahead and try, it might work great. But maybe keep a diary/journal and just pay attention to how you feel, you might need a different type or to stop altogether. Some people get along great, some don't. But if you go to Planned Parenthood, be warned. They will PUSH for you to be on the pill, even if you tell them you're not sexually active. If you start taking and don't want to anymore they will PUSH every time you go in. So just be prepared. And I'd still discuss it with your mother, even if she isn't going to believe it's not for sex. She should know you're concerned.

Just curious, but how old are you?

Technically, you're supposed to have your first pelvic exam and Pap smear when you're 18, regardless of sexual activity. I know that when I was 18, my mom encouraged me to go. It's just generally good health, so perhaps you could posit the visit to your mom like that?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I would definitely consult a physician. BC can seriously screw you up physically and emotionally. My last girlfriend went on BC after we started getting serious (she had serious cramps so she was going to start using it anyway) and she became unbearable to be around after several months because she couldn't keep her emotions in check and became volatile over the smallest things.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I went on them for that a few years ago for exactly that reason. Here's the thing... when you're on BC you get your regular period and then your "pill" period. Theoretically the regular one is invisible.

Or, if you're like me, YOU GET BOTH.

Interestingly, after I went off them, everything normalized and has stayed that way.

Per Lex's comments, they are hormones, and will affect different people in different ways. I actually mellowed out.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I would definitely consult a physician. BC can seriously screw you up physically and emotionally. My last girlfriend went on BC after we started getting serious (she had serious cramps so she was going to start using it anyway) and she became unbearable to be around after several months because she couldn't keep her emotions in check and became volatile over the smallest things.
    Must you pretend like you know about everything? Of course she's going to consult a physician; it's not like she can write the scrip herself.

Anyway, if your BC makes you an emotional or physical wreck, you're on the wrong kind. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of deal.

I first started on BC for that reason- my period was irregular and my hormone levels weren't consistent. I actually suggested it to my doctor who agreed to let me try it and have been on it ever since. Thankfully back then I had a great doctor who gave me free samples for nearly two years.

I will tell you NOT to go on Yasmin. It will turn you into a raging psychopath, your head will rotate 360 degrees and you'll spew green vomit. I tried this for a month (moved, switched doctors) and it was the first time that my boyfriend and I ever fought. Everyone else I spoke to (after the fact) said they had the same reaction.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    But if you go to Planned Parenthood, be warned. They will PUSH for you to be on the pill, even if you tell them you're not sexually active. If you start taking and don't want to anymore they will PUSH every time you go in.
    I'm sorry you had that experience. I've only gone to PPs near the colleges I attended. While they make it clear that BC and STD screenings are available and may be a good idea for certain lifestyles, I've never had anyone be at all pushy, judgemental, or otherwise get in my business or make me feel uncomfortable about coming back. And I'm a pretty shy and private person who is NOT comfortable discussing these things!

Even as an adult with insurance, I still use PP for my pelvic exams since they're tremendously more responsive and easy to schedule with than the in-plan gynos.

OP, the point about your irregularity potentially being caused by something serious is a very, very good one. I hope you do follow up and everything works out well for you. (And your body is less unhappy about BC than mine. Yarf.)
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post

Per Lex's comments, they are hormones, and will affect different people in different ways. I actually mellowed out.
    So did I I would just talk to your mom about going because of the irregularities. It's easier to be upfront in my opinion!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Must you pretend like you know about everything? Of course she's going to consult a physician; it's not like she can write the scrip herself.

Anyway, if your BC makes you an emotional or physical wreck, you're on the wrong kind. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of deal.
    What is your problem? Oh wait, you're from New York. Never mind.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Im almost 21 and never had an exam Oops.. guess my mom never thought it was an important subject. Of course I was a hellious child and she probably didn't want to mention anything about sex because she was assuming I was VERY sexually active. I grew up however, but we still stay away from the topic because she won't believe me.. not then or now.. I don't blame her though!! haha
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    What is your problem? Oh wait, you're from New York. Never mind.
    I just think a grown man commenting on a topic about birth control and menstrual cycles (i.e., something that you have no personal experience with whatsoever, no matter how hard you try.) is a bit weird.

That, combined with your responses on a few other threads, namely your rude insinuations to FrenchFry on the relationships thread, has me a little skeeved out.