The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,589

    Question Piedmont Equine?

    Anybody in NO VA have any recommendations (or not) for any of the vets at Piedmont Equine?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2004
    Posts
    491

    Default

    I PM'd you.



  3. #3
    Transplanted Guest

    Default

    I have used Piedmont since they first opened and have nothing but good things to say about them. Feel free to PM me I you want......



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 15, 2005
    Posts
    3,630

    Default

    We have used Byron Young, the surgeon associated with Piedmont, for many complex problems. He is excellent, and a nice person. We used him when he was faculty at Morven Park, and have continued to use him whenever we have something complicated.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2003
    Location
    somewhere. out there.
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    I have been using Piedmont for a number of years and absolutely love them. Dr. Theiss is my "regular" vet and is typically the first one to come out. She's fabulous and has really gone out of her way for my horses, even for some annoying, but ultimately non-life threatening injuries.

    Dr. Nolan has been to my farm for two colic emergencies and was great.

    And unfortunately, my younger horse has been seen by most of the vets there while trying to diagnose a low-grade mystery lameness. The team approach really helped pin it down, and they did some pretty cool diagnostics on him to help find the real problem.

    I've never had a problem with them, but I'm sure there's always someone who's had some problem with someone, so take everyone's opinion (and mine) for what it's worth...



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2007
    Location
    Bluemont, VA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I've used Dr. Bowman since I've moved out here in Oct '98. Never had any issues. Yes, he can get running behind schedule. Spend a day with any vet and you realize it's not always easy for them to stay on schedule! Horse takes longer than planned, more horses get pulled out to look at, talkative client, etc. I've had him work on everything from foals to 3* eventers. He's fantastic.

    Dr. Johnson has being doing everyone's teeth for 7-8 years. When I've taken horses for PPE vets have commented that he's done a good job.

    Dealt with Dr. Davis and Dr. Theiss for a few emergancies. Both have been good. Have not had personal experience with the other vets.

    When I've gone to the clinic everyone has been great to work with and very professional. As Eponacelt said there will be people who haven't had good experiences with them. You can say that with everyone, in and out of the horse world. It's finding who you mesh well with. Piedmont has been growing since I've been here. They must be doing something right!

    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tnevent View Post
    I've used Dr. Bowman since I've moved out here in Oct '98. Never had any issues. Yes, he can get running behind schedule. Spend a day with any vet and you realize it's not always easy for them to stay on schedule! Horse takes longer than planned, more horses get pulled out to look at, talkative client, etc. I've had him work on everything from foals to 3* eventers. He's fantastic.

    Dr. Johnson has being doing everyone's teeth for 7-8 years. When I've taken horses for PPE vets have commented that he's done a good job.

    Dealt with Dr. Davis and Dr. Theiss for a few emergancies. Both have been good. Have not had personal experience with the other vets.

    When I've gone to the clinic everyone has been great to work with and very professional. As Eponacelt said there will be people who haven't had good experiences with them. You can say that with everyone, in and out of the horse world. It's finding who you mesh well with. Piedmont has been growing since I've been here. They must be doing something right!

    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!
    Is that Ron Bowman or Shawn Bowman?

    I have heard Piedmont is very expensive. I know someone who called them out on a Saturday for an eye injury and it cost $150 just to show up. With exam and meds it was over $200. That sounds like a lot!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2009
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Is that Ron Bowman or Shawn Bowman?

    I have heard Piedmont is very expensive. I know someone who called them out on a Saturday for an eye injury and it cost $150 just to show up. With exam and meds it was over $200. That sounds like a lot!
    Farm call: $45
    Emergency call: $50
    Exam w/stain: $60
    TAB eye ointment: $15
    Eye med: $30
    =$200
    Sounds just about right for an uncomplicated eye issue. If there was further injury or any other tissue suturing required, the cost would be more.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Eventing Heaven, VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    I've used Piedmont since I moved here in 2005. Sean Bowman is Mister's 'regular' vet, but I've worked with Dr. Theiss as well. I have had nothing but good experiences with Piedmont, though there may be cheaper vets in the area. An added bonus is that they are very close to where I work if I have to pick up anything for the barn.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

    *As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 11, 2010
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I love them! I regularly use Dr. Theiss and she's always been super helpful. Asks for other opinions if she's not sure, never really late, and will honestly tell me her opinion and doesn't suger coat anything (which is great!). She came out to put my gelding down and charged me a regular farm call even though I called as a emergency call. They are a bit pricier but I won't complain with the service I get!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2007
    Location
    Bluemont, VA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Is that Ron Bowman or Shawn Bowman?

    I have heard Piedmont is very expensive. I know someone who called them out on a Saturday for an eye injury and it cost $150 just to show up. With exam and meds it was over $200. That sounds like a lot!
    Sean Bowman. Prices are comparable to other vets in the area. I find them reasonable and I'm on an extremly tight budget!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2000
    Location
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    I've been using Dr. Davis for several different horses, as well as my current horse, for years. Never had a problem. The clinic seems to always be up on the latest technology and treatments out there.

    "If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2001
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    5,941

    Default

    I've been using Piedmont Equine for several years. Paul Anikis is my primary vet (first one I go to for joint injections and lameness). I've also used Dr. Nolan, Dr. Diehl, and multiple residents under Dr. Anikis' tutelage. Dr. Dave Johnson does most of the dental work and often pulls coggins. I have been very pleased with Dr. Nolan for chiro when I've used him for that.

    I did have one billing issue a couple of years ago, but it was mostly errors that were eventually fixed, some of it was my failing to ask for what things cost in advance.

    The clinic does have a full complement of diagnostic and imagery equipment and they will use them, but you do need to make sure you understand what everything will cost. That stuff is expensive no matter where you go. VEI, Morven, Piedmont.

    Now, I make sure I ask what each procedure costs, what are the benefits, what are the risks of not doing some diagnostic test, etc.

    I do like that they have a full staff of good vets who have rotations of on-call time. This means that the vets get days off and I still have emergency coverage.

    I do expect to pay extra for emergency calls.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2001
    Posts
    5,201

    Default

    I quite like Dr. Nolan. He wouldn't be my first choice to vet a horse if I was the seller, but he has always been quite a good diagnostician and I regularly used him for a number of farm calls and other issues. They are pricey though - updating a passport for an FEI horse is 35$ for them to do when they give shots.

    I will not use Dr. Thiess again if I have the choice: had one come in from the field with a bump on a hind leg, ouchy, but not seriously off, no swelling. Without xraying or even jogging the horse, she proclaimed that it was likely broken, freaked out the barn staff, and encouraged them to make a VERY expensive emergency visit in for late night xrays (horse was fine, not even sore by the next day). While I'm all in favor of being careful, her judgment was pretty far off and it was an expensive goof.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2007
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Used them for several years and no complaints. Typically see Dr. Sean Bowman or Dr. Theiss, and Dr. Johnson has almost always done my horse's teeth. Dr. Bowman has been the best at pinpointing my horse's on/off again lameness issues and found a simple thing that others missed....after his recommendations and some maintenance advice, I now have a sound, happy horse. Bowman and Nolan are both excellent for lameness. They are caring, knowledgeable and have been prompt almost every visit. I have also found their interns to always be excellent.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 1999
    Location
    Home of mcmansions and H3s.
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I've been using Piedmont Equine for several years. Paul Anikis is my primary vet (first one I go to for joint injections and lameness).
    Dr. Anikis also does some fine stitching. He repaired my mare's shoulder after a partial degloving, and it was one of the finest stitch-jobs I've ever seen. Even after she ripped out a couple, the scar is negligible.

    And, for a 4th of July emergency call, the price was quite reasonable.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2000
    Location
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artienallie View Post
    Dr. Anikis also does some fine stitching. He repaired my mare's shoulder after a partial degloving, and it was one of the finest stitch-jobs I've ever seen. Even after she ripped out a couple, the scar is negligible.

    And, for a 4th of July emergency call, the price was quite reasonable.
    I have heard same about Anikis. Dr. Davis does a fantastic stitch job as well. Once my guy was stitched, I couldn't even see the laceration seam.

    "If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2003
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artienallie View Post
    Dr. Anikis also does some fine stitching. He repaired my mare's shoulder after a partial degloving, and it was one of the finest stitch-jobs I've ever seen. Even after she ripped out a couple, the scar is negligible.

    And, for a 4th of July emergency call, the price was quite reasonable.
    Dr. Davis does some awesome stitching as well!
    Last edited by LaBonnieBon; Jan. 20, 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: ETA: Oops! I did not see Anyplace's post until after I posted!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2003
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    I have been using Piedmont for years. They have been FABULOUS!! They saved my mare's life... not one time, but 3 times! I have used them for the simplest of things to very complex issues. I have been very pleased that even when my normal vet (Dr. Davis) is not available, the other doctors are well aware of what is going on with my horses.

    Dr. Young performed colic surgery on one of my horses at Piedmont July 2010. The care was incredible and the horse recovered quicker than expected. It was also less expensive than the colic surgery Dr. Young did on another gelding when he was at EMC....and that was back in 2002!!

    Recently, Dr. Anikis came out to treat one of our sick cows and then a week later Dr. Theiss came out to put her down. They were just a caring and compassionate with cow as they are with the horses.... even calling to get updates on her condition.

    I find them much less expensive than EMC and VEI and very comparable to the other equine vets in the area. I can't even think of one negative thing... well, maybe they could have built their practice a little closer to me!

    The office staff is amazing, too!!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2003
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    I have been using Piedmont for years. They have been FABULOUS!! They saved my mare's life... not one time, but 3 times! I have used them for the simplest of things to very complex issues. I have been very pleased that even when my normal vet (Dr. Davis) is not available, the other doctors are well aware of what is going on with my horses.

    Dr. Young performed colic surgery on one of my horses at Piedmont July 2010. The care was incredible and the horse recovered quicker than expected. It was also less expensive than the colic surgery Dr. Young did on another gelding when he was at EMC....and that was back in 2002!!

    Recently, Dr. Anikis came out to treat one of our sick cows and then a week later Dr. Theiss came out to put her down. They were just a caring and compassionate with cow as they are with the horses.... even calling to get updates on her condition.

    I find them much less expensive than EMC and VEI and very comparable to the other equine vets in the area. I can't even think of one negative thing... well, maybe they could have built their practice a little closer to me!

    The office staff is amazing, too!!
    Can I quote you on the website?
    Canadian, eh?



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb. 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
  4. Hunting w/ Piedmont - possible for a newbie?
    By curiousgirl in forum Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct. 7, 2010, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug. 10, 2010, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •