The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-off - quirky cat habits

What weird things does your cat do? Ours is strange about drinking water. His water bowl is emptied, wiped out & refilled several times a day. Sometimes he just drinks out of it like a normal cat. However, sometimes he dips his left front paw in the water (always the left) and then licks the water off his paw. He'll do this for 5 minutes or so and not touch his paw to anything else until he's done drinking & has licked the paw clean.

One of my cats is obsessed with plastic bags.He put his head through one of the handles and runs through the house.The first time he did it I thought"Oh no,he's scared!"I caught him and removed the bag.If looks could kill,I'd have been a goner.He walked back over to the bag,put his head through the handle and started running again.I think he thinks he's Super Cat.

He and his brother will open drawers to get to the dog treats and give them to the dog.

I am lucky they haven't figured out how to order take out!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

My one cat LOVES to hang out in the bathroom when I take a shower. When I get up he jumps off the bed, runs into the bathroom, and chills on the edge of tub and watches the water while I wait to have it warm up. He then curls on rug and waits while I take my shower. He also loves to curl under the blanket on my lap. He is the cuddliest cat I have ever met, his life is not happy if he isn't on a lap.

My other cat even when there is dry food out, like to put her paw in the bag, pull out one piece of food, scoop it in her paw and eat it. She continues this way until she is full. She also likes to sit on my bunny's head...until we chase her off.

One cat only wants to drink water if you put ice cubes in it for her. Once the water is clean and iced, she will make a paw wiping motion as if whiping her feet off, shift her butt 90 degrees to the left, and then she will drink. Cute little ritual.

The other is a fat cat who is always cleaning. This must dry out her tongue because we are always catching her with her tongue stuck out between her front teeth. You can even twang it a few times before she will notice and put it back.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

My mom's cat Oreo (aptly named) does this weird meow/click cat noise if anyone sneezes. We joke that he is is saying "Bless you!" and always say "Thank you, Oreo"

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    One of my cats is obsessed with plastic bags.He put his head through one of the handles and runs through the house.The first time he did it I thought"Oh no,he's scared!"I caught him and removed the bag.If looks could kill,I'd have been a goner.He walked back over to the bag,put his head through the handle and started running again.I think he thinks he's Super Cat.
    The mental image I have of this is hysterical!

All 3 of my cats love to open cupboard doors. My Maine Coon mix has to sit in the bathtub whenever I am in the bathroom and will paw until I open the door. Youngest kitty loves to sit on top of my monitor and chase the cursor or whatever moves on the screen.

My 7-month old kitten LOVES to sleep on laptop cases. She refuses to go anywhere near the kitty bed that I bought for her, but she jumps on top of the case as soon as I set it out.

Plus she loves to sleep on her back in very indecent poses so I always find her like this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=506558353
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

My cat won't eat if she can see the bottom of the bowl. Most annoying thing EVER.

The minute I stumble out of bed in the morning I have to turn on the bathtub for my one cat Kahli to drink from the faucet- and if I don't do it ASAP she will run into the bathroom ahead of me and grind her teeth on the metal faucet until I turn it on. The noise from her grating teeth on metal- eeeekkkkk

Another cat, Thing Too, loves our dog- always winding around his leg, head butting him, etc. Dog will make a detour the whole way around the room while giving kitty the stink eye just to avoid her affections. However, Thing Too hates when the dog gets brushed and will attack your hand and the brush until you brush her instead.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My heathen kitty, Neville, also loves laptop bags, suitcases and flat-rate mail boxes. Anything that is like a hammock. He also has his new fortress of solitude, the bottom half of a fruit box we brought our Christmas presents home in. He likes to "hide" in it, and then will attack one of the dogs in passing, batting at them through the holes in the box.

He will also lay in wait at the bedroom door and pounce on the first one out, whether it's me or the dog, then bolt away.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I have a cupboard opener kitty. She loves to slam the doors of the kitchen or bathroom cupboards...preferably at 2am, of course. She also figured out how to use her paws to pry open the latch on my entertainment center, and then pull all the dvds out. She is appropriately named Nora, after the title character in the children's picture book "Noisy Nora." This was my absolute favorite book as a wee child, and every naughty act in the book (knocking the lamp down, banging windows, slamming doors, felling chairs, creating monumental crashes) has been recreated by my cat.

I have another kitty, Heidi, who is almost dog-like in her love of playing fetch. Too, too cute.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

One of mine loves paper. He wil chew bills, books, etc. No paper is safe. This same one will also open all our doors. Him and the dog work in tandem, cat wl open the pantry for the dog to get the food.

Two also love to watch me use the facilities.

Stella doesn't want to drink or eat out of her bowls. She will splash all the water out of her water dish and then lick it off of the floor. Sometimes she bats the whole dish around for good measure. Even though I got the heaviest bowl I could find, it ends up across the kitchen. Then she pulls one piece of dry food at a time out onto the floor and eats it. Sometimes she bats it around the floor before eating it. As you can imagine, my kitchen floor typically looks like a warzone, and you can never go out there in socks unless you want to risk wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    I have another kitty, Heidi, who is almost dog-like in her love of playing fetch. Too, too cute.

I have one who plays fetch with wadded up paper. It is adorable. But when fetch is over... it's SO over! As if!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

One poster last OT day shared a website with us called "Simonscat." I've had cats a long time and have experienced every single one of the acts shown in those cartoons. I about died laughing!

I've got one cat that gets pretty annoyed when we won't get out of bed in what he considers to be a reasonable amount of time. He does all the jumping on the bed stuff, swatting our faces, drooling on us, etc. He runs out of patience eventually, and proceeds to run his paw up and down the blinds. He knows that will get a reaction.

My girl kitty, while laying on the couch, will take a swipe at you when you walk by. I have a lot of snagged up sweat pants.

Both cats and dogs have to come into the bathroom to watch you pee. They about run over each other trying to get to the bathroom first to get a front-row seat.

Then she pulls one piece of dry food at a time out onto the floor and eats it.
    That reminds me of a previous cat - he would take several pieces in his mouth, then bring them into where we were & then eat them. Guess he didn't like to eat alone. He also played fetch.

I have one that does the dip his paw in the water bowl thing as well. He, unfortunately, also likes to splash in it...so I often find the bowl nearly empty, across the room, in a puddle. He also meows when you sneeze like another poster's cat.

I have one that likes to drink from the sink, so he will sit on the floor or on the bathroom counter whining until you turn the water on.

I have another one that likes to carry his toys around meowing to them. This usually occurs right after we have gone to bed.

The newest cat, for some reason, likes to drag our throw blankets from the living room into the dining room (a good 20 feet, on a carpeted floor). I'm not sure if he grabs them and runs with them, or if he crawls inside them, as I've not actually caught him doing it...and these are full-sized blankets, not those little fleece throws!

The other 2 don't really do anything that weird. One likes to burrow under the covers with you, but that's not so strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oaks Farm View Post
    My cat won't eat if she can see the bottom of the bowl. Most annoying thing EVER.
    I've had two that were exactly the same. If the bottom shows, I have to either fill it or shake it so the bottom doesn't show, then they will eat... I never understood it...but you are not alone

As for other weird behavior...

Martha: Would only drink from the icky aquarium

George: Learned to ring the doorbell, spent many hous delighting in going in...out..in...out until we just started to ignore her. This however, did result in very confused houseguests...Once at dinner, the doorbell kept ringing and nobody even looked up from their dinner or paused in their conversation....after a while the very confused guest (sister's new BF) said "Isn't anyone going to get that?" to which we responded,"no, it's just the cat..." We never saw him again .

Also ate and drank with her paws and loved to push buttons and levers. She learned hope to open the heat vents and did this all the time

Insisted on watching you shower

Puck: Went crazy for pizza bones, would arrive out of nowhere every time the pizza delivery guy showed up....

If you pulled the comb out of the drawer, he would roll over and spin and spin until you combed him

Loved to go for walks in the neighborhood. We'd go to the local store and he and the dog would sit out front until we were done, then we'd go home. Walked with us like a dog....

Went absolutely nuts for bounce fabic sheets and high pitched noises (would come running and start singing if she heard them)

Aurie: Must only be petted on his belly with your arm between his back legs. He would move until you were in the proper position.

Also liked to walk like a dog

Loved sleeping in a large ceramic bowl

Used to open the bathroom door if you were in there. Teneded to shock visitors....

Loved me singing Irene Goodnight to him. He would run over jump in my lap and start purring and talking funny(and I can't sing!)

Monster: Loved to eat my hair, would wake up to him purring and chewing on my hair.

Boots: Feral cat that adopted Monster, she loved him and would come snuggle up with him when he was on my lap if I was laying on the couch. Then she's realize she was on a human and run away. Could only touch her if she rubbed up against you.

Chester: Another hair eater. Likes to chase the dogs, gets chased by the chickens

Pooh: Sits by the wood stove and hits you if you don't light it when you walk by

Sputnik: Will only eat with when he is spread out on the floor with his arms around the bowl. Purrs madly while doing it.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I have one that does the dip his paw in the water bowl thing as well. He, unfortunately, also likes to splash in it...so I often find the bowl nearly empty, across the room, in a puddle. He also meows when you sneeze like another poster's cat.
    Peanut does this. We put his water bowl in the bathtub so it doesn't make a mess. He also sits and watches you when you're in teh bathroom waiting for his drink.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I had one cat who's favorite human food was corn on the cob. After you were done with your corn cob, you could put it on a plate on the floor, and she would clean it to the bone.
    ~ Dave Barry