The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I could just Strangle my dog-need more sleep

I have a 1 year old Blue Heeler who has decided sleep in the night time is really quite unnecessary. For the past week she has gotten me up between 10 and 12 to go outside. Most of the time she just sits in the grass and scratches. Then around 4 she decides I have slept enough and will start chuffing. So of course I wake up to tell her to go back to sleep. She'll lay there and chew on herself until 5 when of course, Now its time to get up. So I wake up and tell her to go back to sleep so I can get a few more minutes. I get up at 5:30 to feed the horses and then she chases her ball for a while and then goes to sleep. I'M SO TIRED!! I could just strangle her!!

How do I not be a slave to the d@mn dog?

How about some hard playtime in the yard just before bed? Or a dog buddy to keep her active and wear her out?

Crate train her. Crate her at night. Solved. Or just tell her to quit/stop barking/go back to sleep/shut-up, whatever is appropriate.

Sounds like she has you trained well.

My dog's favorite thing is to jump on and off the bed during the night as he pleases. This wouldn't be so bad if we had carpet, but on the wood floors, the tick-tick-tick of his nails drives me nuts. Then, he likes to sleep under the bed sometimes, so I also have to listen to him scrape his way under there at 2:30 in the morning.

So, yeah, no advice, just commiseration!

Yep, crate. In the room. Spray bottle with long range next to your bed. Also, a supply of rolled socks/polos/soft cover books.

It'll take a few more nights of no sleep, but every time she makes noise, start with a "NO!" then move immediately to the spray bottle, if that doesn't work, lob socks/polo/books at crate. As soon as she settles, say "good" and go back to bed. You should see less of a need for projectiles soon, then all you'll have to do is reach for the spray bottle, then just a half-hearted, mostly still asleep "NO!" will do it.

I did this with my high energy dog and now she can sleep out of the crate, on the bed, and even if she DOES wake up, she just looks out the window till I'm awake. She's a good girl.

This waking up thing is relatively new. She is crate trained but oh boy, when she doesn't want to be in there it sounds like 50 cats being eaten by a pack of rabid hyenas.

Tha Ridge, I have to laugh, she only gets off the bed when she needs to go potty. What she does do is get up, walk around on the bed, throw herself down and groan. I think I just need to make sure she gets bookoo exercise during the day.

Currently she sleeps on my bed because she has seizures and I need to know right away if one starts. I need ot take her in and get her meds checked. Maybe they are making her restless during the night.

It sounds like she has fleas.

Go to Costco and get a dog bed for the bedroom. Having a place to sleep that's "hers" might help.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

The best trick for my dog is to take her for a walk before bed, then put her at the foot of my bed and wrap her up in a blanket--making a doggie burrito. They sleep really well when they're warm and buried. It's a dog thing.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Well, I must ashamedly admit that my two are both bed-hogs. It used to be just the one dog, but my ACD cross has suddenly discovered he LOVES to snuggle and cuddle. Very cute, but my poor husband is a wimp about it.

I keep telling him that the dogs ARE moveable - just shove them where you want them. Or push them off the bed - they will get over it. But no, when he comes back from a midnight pee and discovers his spot has been usurped by a canine, he just grabs his pillow and goes to the couch.

I love 'em, but the bed is MINE for eight hours a night!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.ChickenBritches View Post
    Tha Ridge, I have to laugh, she only gets off the bed when she needs to go potty. What she does do is get up, walk around on the bed, throw herself down and groan. I think I just need to make sure she gets bookoo exercise during the day.
    Ugh, this too! Luckily, my guy is little, but yeah, the "stand up and heave yourself back down" routine is alive and well over here. Last night, he was pretty good, but I wanted to throw him out the window the night before.

He'll go in a crate, but it's no longer an option for me—just don't have enough space in my apartment for one.

One of mine has started doing this. They all sleep downstairs, and he knows he's not allowed upstairs, so he'll stand at the bottom and whine. Honestly, it's the most pitiful sound I've ever heard. There's nothing wrong with him (had him checked at the vets). He just doesn't want to be asleep any longer.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My dog liked to lay right next to me and then, around 3 am, start licking himself. This went on for a while until eventually I would respond to his licking by either shoving him off the bed and growling or batting his nose. His wounded "How COULD you?" looks lasted about two or three nights, and then finally he got the idea. Now he waits to lick until the morning, or he's learned to do so quietly and I don't notice.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Quote Originally Posted by 00Jumper View Post
    My dog liked to lay right next to me and then, around 3 am, start licking himself. This went on for a while until eventually I would respond to his licking by either shoving him off the bed and growling or batting his nose. His wounded "How COULD you?" looks lasted about two or three nights, and then finally he got the idea. Now he waits to lick until the morning, or he's learned to do so quietly and I don't notice.
    One of mine will dig in the covers with his front paws, rearranging his "nest" so it's just how he likes it. Then he flops back down with a big old satisfied sigh.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

If it's a jiggly bed that bothers you, get a memory foam mattress topper!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

We have a border collie/ aussie mix and she started getting me up at 2 am every night wanting to go out. when it is below zero out it isn't my favorite thing to do. Sometimes she would just run out and bark and then come back in. she sleeps on the floor by the bed. What I did was make sure she went potty before we went to bed and I didn't let her drink before bed. Then the next time she got up I ignored her. She finally went back to bed. After a few nights she stopped waking up at all and the problem was solved.

All excellent ideas being given, but since this is a relatively new behavior maybe it would be beneficial to run a urinalysis for this dog. Maybe your dog is working on training you for all hours outside time, but maybe there's the beginning of an infection.

my dog likes to sleep as much as I do, but my cat for a while had picked up the annoying habit of every hour on the hour head butting my face and waking me up, though he did stop it on his own after about a week.

I sleep like a rock so it takes alot for my pets to wake me up by shifting or getting on and off the bed

This whole thread is cracking me up. Who's the human here?!? Who's in charge!?!?! BTW, my bed is also owned by two bed hog corgis! heehee!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.ChickenBritches View Post
    I have a 1 year old Blue Heeler who has decided sleep in the night time is really quite unnecessary. For the past week she has gotten me up between 10 and 12 to go outside. Most of the time she just sits in the grass and scratches. Then around 4 she decides I have slept enough and will start chuffing. So of course I wake up to tell her to go back to sleep. She'll lay there and chew on herself until 5 when of course, Now its time to get up. So I wake up and tell her to go back to sleep so I can get a few more minutes. I get up at 5:30 to feed the horses and then she chases her ball for a while and then goes to sleep. I'M SO TIRED!! I could just strangle her!!

How do I not be a slave to the d@mn dog?
    shes becoming a dog haha shes teething as there back teeth change around1yr to 18mths so last call outside do it at 11 and then get up at 5 and let her out her cycle changing as well if she not been spayed

Ahhh,welcome to the world of "Heelers",biggest pains in the asses ever,best dogs ever,most intelligent dogs ever......mine drives me totally insane.I love her to death,she's my soul mate.Good luck.