The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default iPhone? Android phone? Joining the smartphone army.

DH and I are finally considering joining the ranks of the smartphone users. We are currently in crappy flip phone land. I keep thinking of all of the wonderful things I could do with a smartphone, and how great it would be to be able to access the net on the fly.
    We're not great shoppers, though. If you have a smartphone, please share what you bought and what you love or hate about it. Thanks so much!
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

I'm still in crappy flip phone land because I'm too cheap to pay a higher phone bill. Plus I have internet access at work AND at home, so I really don't care if I have it on my phone.

My only input is that I've used both my boyfriend's iPhone and my mom's Droid, and I find the iPhone much more user friendly. Also, my mom hates her Droid. She thinks it's too complicated. But this is coming from a woman who only recently started emailing and paying her bills online, so that's not a big surprise.

If it were me I'd get the iPhone.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm loving my Droid phone, it's been 3 months, and so far I have no complaints. Yes, the bill is higher with the data and text plan, I get a discount through work which helps.

But already, the GPS has helped me find places in strange towns, find hotels when stranded at the airport with no flight home, text my daughter when she is in school and is not supposed to use her phone (to tell her important stuff only of course).

I'm very happy with it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Just upgraded from my ghetto Razr phone this week~ it was held together with tape & everyone laughed at me when I texted.

Got a great deal on a Blackberry Torch (free!), which I fell in love with first time I saw it advertised. I love the touch/slide out combination, it's easy to use, has all the bells & buzzers, and I got free unlimited text, along with internet access for $7.50 a month for the first year ($15 after that). I know alot of people have the iPhone, which my hubby loves, but I have an iTouch already.

Check out the Torch~ I love mine!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Love my iPhone. Very simple to use, great apps. Just be sure to get an OtterBox to protect it. BTW- I only have a 3GS. DH has the 4.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Hate my Droid Incredible, and my mom hates her Droid X. My brother hates his original Droid. I'd go for the iPhone

^ why do you all "hate" your droids? I had heard positive things.

I have no idea if DH and I will spring for a smartphone. I'm thinking I could really use one for my new job, and since I can write off part of it at least, I'm thinking it may make sense.

I definitely think we need a way to e-mail each other, but I hesitate to get a texting plan - even now we are considering having ours removed due to SPAM. I hate paying for something I'm not initiating/asking for. If the phone companies cannot figure out a way to single out welcomed vs. un-welcomed texts, then I suppose it is all or nothing, and in this case, it will be nothing.

I have a friend at college that has a droid, and one night she was looking over my shoulder at what I was doing with my iPhone and just sighed and goes "Droid doesn't"

That being said, I love my iPhone. It's easy to use and there are lots of fun apps (I don't have very many 'useful' apps lol, I love downloading free books and games). It has a few scratches on the screen (because I could never get the stupid screen protector on without bubbles, I eventually gave up on it), and you can't really see them when you're using it.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

I have a Droid and I'm still learning how wonderful this thing is! I have E-mail, GPS,Pandora radio,Calender, alarm clock. I have apps that I can get all the movie times, find coffee shops, places to eat, ATMs and directions. I can get weather right on it and I know I'm leaving out a million things, but, I can't imagine not having my little phone with all this stuff with me I just love it I can google silly little questions at a moments notice

I love my Droid X. I much prefer it to the iphone. The Droid is completely customizable unlike the iphone. Its very user friendly, the huge screen is awesome, and its lightning fast!

http://MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

OK..I have the blackberry pearl (I think) and love being able to get my emails right on my phone..never had the time (or saaavy) to really do much else...I still love it...we are upgrading and I'm unsure about whether to get another blackberry or go with the android..I really don't like the touchscreen, and need the actual keyboard, not a touchscreen keyboard...would iphone or android be better or should I stick with a blackberry? ugh, too many technical choices....

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I'm mostly looking for email, mapping, yelp reviews etc. And there are soooo many cool apps. I just drool over all of the neat things you can do. Is the app selection pretty even across the different phones?
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

I went from an early model Blackberry Pearl to an iPhone 3G several months ago (iPhone 4 was out but much more expensive and I heard more negative reviews about it). If I had known the following about iPhone 3G, I would've gotten either another Blackberry model or a Droid:

1) Microsoft Outlook synchronization: if use Outlook, esp for work, the Blackberry offers much better syncing. The iPhone cannot handle meeting invitations or download events (.ics files) from emails. It also does not sync Tasks from Outlook as there is no Tasks application that comes with the iPhone.

2) Adobe Flash: Apple has refused to permit Adobe Flash to run on any iPhones for some "ideological" reasons. Lots of websites use Adobe Flash, so it can be annoying not to be able to view them. I believe both BBs and Droids allow Flash.

3) Customization/Menu options: in keeping with Apple's KISS philosophy, the iPhone has less email options and user settings than other smartphones. Then again, this also makes the iPhone simpler/more intuitive to use, especially for first-time smartphone owners.

4) Google Maps: not sure why, but iPhone has reduced functionality with this app compared to Blackberry's version. For example, when searching for businesses, iPhone version only gives you contact info. Blackberry will also give you hours and reviews right within the app. I don't remember the exact differences, but I also remember the Blackberry version of Facebook had more functions than iPhone's version.

5) Phone service: not really an iPhone thing, per se, but AT&T wireless kinda sucks. Their network and their customer service ratings have gone downhill over the years. I heard that Verizon may be getting the iPhone Feb 10, so you may want to wait for that.

If anyone knows of any fixes for the above problems, let me know!

"Is the app selection pretty even across the different phones?"
    Apple boasts that it has massively more apps than other smartphones, which I think is true. However, there are a ton of crappy iPhone apps developed by third parties. From what I've seen, the most popular apps and apps made by major companies tend to be offered on other smartphones as well.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Quote Originally Posted by troytyler View Post
    If you are in the US there are no prepaid androids (officially) but if you are thinking of getting an unlocked one you might wanna look at the band of the phone that you are buyin and see if it's compatible with you carrier
    http://www.criterioncellular.com/tutoria…
    Actually that is not correct. Boost Mobile has a Driod in their line up. I know because I have one. 50$ a month for everything I can possibly think of doing with it. And now that they have the reduction monthly fee in about a year instead of 50$ I will be paying 35$ a mth.
    It is not a contract phone it is concidered a pay as you go.
    http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdi...ion=view&id=i1

Anyway I have a Droid I1. Many of the other droid ( aka those who know a heck of a lot more than I cold ever want to) people call this a 'droid lite' as it has an older OS. But Moto. claims they will allow an upgrade to froyo with in hte next year. Dont havea clue what has to happen.

But anyway I love mine. I didnt think I would as I was in the it is a phone people it doesnt need to do all that stuff... Well dh bought me ne and well not really sure what I would do with out I now. Well actually he bought it for me so he and ds' could piddle with it and justify them getting one at tax time.

I have books on mine ( just have not figured out he bookmarking thing), alarm clocks, white noise maker( helps 'drown out' dh's snoring, weather channel, my college football buddy( has stuff like calander schedules and the like) I can bank on my phone if needed, And Ipersonally was not a fan of pandora but like the tunein radio.
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    The Droid is completely customizable unlike the iphone.
    Not true. Geeks everywhere complained about this for years and hacked their way into making the iPhone customizable. It's called 'jailbreaking' - and no, it doesn't hurt your iPhone, and better yet - you can use it on ANY GSM carrier in the US (even pay-as-you-go plans from places like TMobile - albeit without internet).

That said - I have an older iPhone, and LOVE it. Easy to use, great apps, and helps me in sticky situations (like maps, subways, new cities, and googling places). I had a blackberry before my iPhone, and damn, it was a great phone. Almost comparable with the iPhone, but without all the great apps. If you don't need apps, but want to google and check email, the blackberry is awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

But jailbreaking voids what little warranty you get with the iphone, does it not? And there is no insurance plan for iPhones, is there?

I have never gotten a spam text, so can't speak to that. But I love my original Droid and won't upgrade until they get another equally capable phone.

Droids have Flash, but only with version 2.2 of the OS (Froyo). Some of the phones still run 2.1 or lower, so be sure you get one running the latest version of the OS.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    But jailbreaking voids what little warranty you get with the iphone, does it not?
    Well...yes and no. Technically jailbreaking does void the warranty. But say your iphone dies and you need to take it in to Apple and hope the warranty covers it. All you do is wipe the iPhone clean to factory settings, and voila - Apple never knows the difference. Of course, this also means your phone is locked again, so you have to either spend the time re-hacking or spend $10 dollars at the mall/hackers to get it re-jailbroken. Overall, not too bad a process.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

EVO (droid) owner here.

User friendly - check
    GPS friendly - check - whether it is "find Chinese" or turn by turn - great!

weather - love it - especially since at Rolex last year, the iPhone users were all predicting weather calamaties by 10, and my EVO serenely insisted that the showers would come AFTER 3

easy to use for email, internet, etc.

I also have the "hotspot" app, which is a godsend at horse shows in the middle of the boonies - internet access everywhere!

phone coverage - excellent. Works everywhere! From locally - where the iPhone users cannot get service at certain places at showgrounds - to the Grand Canyon, I am thrilled with it!

my two cents...as the owner of a nexus s (google's newest android phone, running android 2.3) and an ipod touch...go with an android.

there are lots of great things about the iphone. it is very slick, very easy to use, super intuitive, and the aps are very consistent. it has words with friends. (an advantage that cannot be overstated )

but.

i think the android phones are progressing much faster, and will allow you to actually DO more. we are on t mobile...certainly not the fastest network available, and i am floored by the speed of the nexus s.

I would buy whichever one gets better reception in the places you use it most often. My farm gets better AT&T reception, so I have an iPhone. My mom has a Droid because that is the better service provider where she lives. I have played with and like both phones and would be happy with either one, though I am not super-techy. I need it for my work email, weather channel app for the farm so I can see the radar, and directions/maps function. Both do those fine.