The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog chews

Since we are able to talk dogs here...

What are some recommendations for chew toys/food for a couple of Cavaliers?

I am looking for something to safely occupy them for a while when they are crated. Their dog cookies are gone quickly. They have Nylabones, but arent that thrilled with them. When they do chew they are surprisingly strong for little guys. They sometimes chew on hard rubber toys (but others are shunned - I dont know why) Stuffed toys are happily de-stuffed (as are stuffed beds which they no longer have)

I see a lot of rawhide chews but I have also heard bad things about rawhide. Dont know what to believe. Nothing too stinky please - the crates are in the bedroom!

With the nylabones, heating up a pot of chicken broth then soaking the bones can often increase interest.

I also like kongs and Cuz. With the Cuz though, surgically remove the feet else you have an opportunity for an obstruction.

Can you tell I have aggressive chewers?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    but I have also heard bad things about rawhide.
    The fact that most of the stuff is made in China is distrubing to me.

Rawhide (if you're sitting right there watching) can be okay IF your dog doesn't break off big chunks and swallow them. But essentially it's leather. And it really doesn't digest well. So if they break off hunks, it can cause obstructions. And those cost a lot of $$ to resolve.

Tessa loves bull sticks, which I understand are made from bull penis. If you can get over the genital eew factor, they're great chews. Not incredibly long-lasting, but more easily digested than rawhide.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Default I HATE THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    The fact that most of the stuff is made in China is distrubing to me.
    I've been everywhere trying to find good dog toys that don't have "Made In China" on the tag. I can't. I'm scared to death of what noxious substance might have made its way into the toy during the manufacturing process.

As for rawhides - I used to be able to find good compressed rawhide bones. Those lasted forever, the dogs could not chew off and swallow large hunks, and the dogs loved them. I can't find them anymore for some reason, though.

My dog LOVED her cuz, but destroyed it in short order (started with those little antennae thingies, then the feet, then tore it open). Once she'd opened it up, I stuck a tennis ball inside the shell, and she thought that was just the greatest thing ever. She destroyed them both pretty fast.

The cuz(es??) are awesome for the price, though, and are just as tough as a lot of the rubber toys out there. You can get the large ones on the internet for $5-$7.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

If you have an aggressive chewer, anything with accessible seams or openings is a no go. The Kong ball is fab though!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    If you have an aggressive chewer, anything with accessible seams or openings is a no go. The Kong ball is fab though!
    Heh, my Aussie Cattle Dog figured out the treat-filled Kong in a hurry.

Why work at getting the treats out the hard way, when you can just pick it up by the narrow end, give it a few good shakes, and voila! All the kibble is liberated at once!

Mine are not impressed by "delayed gratification" strategies.

A Kong stuffed with Peanut butter and then frozen, will last quite a while.

Deer antlers work well.

Bully sticks are safer than rawhide.

There are more and more "Enrichment" toys available.

I like to fill a Kong with kibble and then add a teaspoon of pumpkin and freeze that. Since I have a prone-to-getting fat lab, I will put half of her meal in the Kong, and only feed her half in her bowl. If you wanted to keep them occupied for even longer, you could make 2 kongs out of the entire meal.

You can do the same with a low calorie wet dog food. It does make a bit of a mess, but it keeps them occupied for a bit.

Peanut butter is another option, but is higher calorie.

There are also tons of "treat balls" and other toys that are supposed to only drop out kibble piece by piece. As long as your start slowly (IE make it easy at first, so the dog understands), dogs can really enjoy those as well.

My dog won't touch a Kong or any of the other things mentioned on this thread, but he loves Flossies. They're spiral-shaped beef tendons and Merrick manufactures them, so I generally trust the quality.

Big dogs can work through them pretty quick, but for a Cavalier (similar in size to my dog), one of them should last a few days.

I have an exceptional chewer. The only toys he is allowed is a Kong and a nylabone. Everything else he will eat and then SWALLOW! Seriously, he pooped out a slipper once, and he's only a 45 pound beagle mix!

When he was younger (and not very trustable loose in the house for an extended period of time), he was crated for 8-9 hours per day. I would stuff a Kong with peanut butter, shove some small kibble inside the PB and freeze it overnight. It would keep him busy for about 3 or 4 hours.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

My dogs gets antlers, the GI bones, and bully sticks. I do read the packages and make sure they are made in the US.. this usually means I'm buying them at the preppy dog store, but owell. With the bones once they get too small I take them away so no one swallows the small chunk. The gi bones tend to eventually break in half or pieces and I will pick up any pointed pieces chunks or any small ones and throw them away. My dogs don't ever get rawhide anymore.
    The corgi also has a food ball which I got a PetsMart and she loves it. Its a big dimpled orangle ball with a small hole. You can not just pick it up and dump it out because there is a little lip on the inside of the hole so literally the ball has to roll just right for the food to come out. She LOVES the thing and will roll it around forever until she gets every piece out lol.