The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Separate Beds?

I think this is one of the best tips I can offer. My SO has become a cover hog. So when he went away on business for a while, I tried an experiment. My young son brought his own blankets/sheets and slept with me during this time. Because he has all his own blankets, he didn't pull my covers. What bliss!!!
    So now that SO is back we have separate everything on the king bed. What would Martha say? Who cares! Doesn't look great when you make the bed but as long as I can get a good nites rest and function properly the next day that's what matters. Now to solve the snoring.

DH and I have separate blankets on the bed too- otherwise I would never have one.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Mr. Chicken Britches and I have had seperate beds for years now. Sometimes they are seperated and sometimes they are pushed together. I have never slept better!

I have often thought about that, between hubby and the three dogs I sleep on a little sliver of bed and a swatch of covers. Thank God I'm also always HOT (keep the bedroom between 54 to 60 degrees, ceiling fan and floor fan going. Hubby under electric blanket, sheet and comforter, while i'm up standing in front of the fan, LOL!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

it's the German Way to have separate blankets (I have about 5 in the bed, but that is another story, since I am always cold...)

But that does not prevent you from throwing the kingssize cover over the whole thing. But then again, it's the German way to keep the door to the parents play room closed, too. so who cares what it looks like!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Heck, DH and I have moved beyond separate blankets...we have our own king size beds in our own rooms. Yes, we do actually still love each other. Been married almost 13 years and have been sleeping solo for about 4 years.

It actually started due to differing work/school/life hours. We'd always be waking each other up. But now, even after the hours are more in line again I find we don't sleep as well together as we do alone. At first I missed the cuddle factor, but hey, that's what dogs are for right?

Default oh yea

My SO and I start out in the same bed but always end up in separate beds.
    He snores so loud that the neighbors can hear him! Last night he went off to his bed and began snoring at such a high decibel that I had to turn the TV up! Yes, we have tried all the gadgets. Separate beds save us.

Quote Originally Posted by Steif View Post
    I think this is one of the best tips I can offer. My SO has become a cover hog. So when he went away on business for a while, I tried an experiment. My young son brought his own blankets/sheets and slept with me during this time. Because he has all his own blankets, he didn't pull my covers. What bliss!!!
    So now that SO is back we have separate everything on the king bed. What would Martha say? Who cares! Doesn't look great when you make the bed but as long as I can get a good nites rest and function properly the next day that's what matters. Now to solve the snoring.
    We have two twin size duvets, and a queen size comforter to go on top for when the bed is made up. After doing this I can't imagine sharing ever again. That would be like sharing a pillow :P
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

DH and I have done the separate blanket thing ever since we first started living together. We have a king sized bed with a king fitted sheet and a king duvet for when I need to make the bed, but everything else is twin sized so we can have covers to our own liking.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Separate bed couple here!! We found each other after years of being single for various reasons. We were both set in our ways. We have VERY opposite habits (he's a night owl, heavy sleeper when he can get to sleep, snores a bit, late to rise, always cold. Me? light sleeper, early to bed/rise, always hot and we both sprawl.) and having two beds seems to suit us nicely. Do our friends and family think we are odd? Yup. Do we care? Nope!

Only a king size bed might change us....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Not surprised the German's have figured this out. See, they're getting a good nite sleep and are producing such fantastic products, especially kitchen appliances/ware.

Should I ever get married or cohabitate, he will have his own room, I will have mine, and there will be a communal room.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I bought my horse one of those rambo newmarket fleece cooler and was instantly jealous its so soft and cuddly. So I got one of the throws for myself. Its a very generous size.

I started sleeping with it at night and its been perfect! The SO hogs all the proper bedclothes, bunches them up in his sleep and then kicks them off in the middle of the night when he's hot. I used to wake up several times per night searching, yanking and pulling for a scrap of comforter. Now I just cuddle up in my binkie and I'm comfortable and can sleep the night through. In the morning when I make the bed, I just fold it and put it at the foot of the bed.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I can't do separate covers/sheet or beds - I need, um, access.

We do completely separate blankets. Hubby is a MASSIVE blanket hog. He will take every part of the blanket and not give up any of it. SO in order to keep me from putting a pillow of his head at night he has his own blankets.

He also snores LOUDLY so I am jockeying for the separate beds. I get up early for work and he sleeps all day when he is off the barge. I am dead tired all day and he is napping. He doesn't get that part...of course since he isn't overtired.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Steif View Post
    Not surprised the German's have figured this out. See, they're getting a good nite sleep and are producing such fantastic products, especially kitchen appliances/ware.
    Yep, they're sleeping, alright. Not much else.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Eye--our separate bed situation certainly hasn't hurt our "private" lives, and perhaps improved it as we aren't in conflict anymore. We are both rested and happy, which leads to more intimacy. We love to cuddle and chat in one room, with the dogs and cats for company. When we sleep, we sleep separately, when we "sleep" we kick out the furry ones and enjoy!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I broke my collar bone 2 summers ago and spent 12 weeks on the couch so I could sleep comfortably. And I couldn't go back to "our" bed after as he now has his side propped up so I don't have a flat area, and the space I have forces me on my bad shoulder. So.........I now have my own room and it's awesome! He won't admit it but he sleeps better too.

Glad to see we're not the only ones.

My parents sleep in separate beds. They have different hours and my dad has a sleep apnea machine that makes too much noise for my mom It actually first started when my Mom had neck surgery and slept by herself. Then I got the queen bed so they went back to sleeping together and once I moved out they went back to separate rooms. Sometimes they still sleep together and are very clearly still in love
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

The ultimate version of " live close and visit often "
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.