The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Essure birth control - anybody done it?

I am getting Essure and wanted to know if anyone here had it and what your experience was.

Thanks!

Why aren't you using an IUD? Just curious. This looks similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanerpus View Post
    Why aren't you using an IUD? Just curious. This looks similar.
    Essure is permanent and nothing like an IUD.

OP - I really want Essure, but apparently I'm still too young.

Someday. Hopefully.

Yes, I've done it. Did it in Sept, and had no issues other than the slight inner inflammation aggravated my pinchy nerve that always gets aggravated at that 'time of the month'. Went on for a couple months. I had moderate spotting for at least a month, but really no other issues.

The 'procedure' was done outpatient at our local hospital by my ob/gyn. I was out completely, but I guess it took 20 mins. or so? My insurance covered it.

I still need to schedule the followup where the Dr. tests the scarring with dye, to make sure no fluids can get through.

I am very happy I did it, and will be even happier after I confirm there are no leaks....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

My SIL had it done a few months back. She said it was a pretty easy procedure and has had no problems or issues so far.

Thanks...your comments have been helpful!

Nanerpus - essure is permanent and at 41 with one child, I am ready to not have anymore kids!

Essure seems like a good proceedure because it's outpatient and the average down time is 1-2 days. It's also considered non- surgical.

I didn't have any down time. It was no big deal. Just a bunch of feminine napkins, really... don't sweat it.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'm considering it as well. I was told it can be done in the Dr.'s office and you wouldn't be put under.
    "Friend of Bar.ka"

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I'm all for it! Unfortunately I'm only 26 and the closest to permanent that the docs in my OB/GYN clinic will get (and there's 17 practitioners) is a tubal. So I'm doing Mirena this time around and maybe in five years they'll be willing to do the Essure.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

What is it? Sounds great! Off to google!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I've got the implannon. Love it mostly! It didn't hurt at all getting it done. AND it is THE most effective form of birth control, including permanent methods, but of course it is not permenant and would need to be replaced every 3 years. I think this is a MUCH better option than having a foreign object in my uterus!

I did have a lot of irregular bleeding but was put on some other birth control for a month 3 or 4 months ago, and it seems to be normal now.... haven't bled for awhile now! A lot of women loose their cycle after being on it, and with me having endometriosis, having my cycle is the last thing I want! I want a total hysterectomy, but I can't get one until I am 30
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Is something "installed" in-utero for Essure, or is it just a surgical procedure? My doc also does it right in the office but from the brochure I read last year, it can be pretty uncomfortable. I would much rather be asleep!

Small coils are placed into the fallopian tubes with scar tissue adhering to them, thus hopefully stopping up the tubes so nothing can get in or out. They insert them thru your cervix then uterus with an inserter (sorry, i don't know the real name).

My ob does it in office without putting you under but with enough drugs that it won't matter :-)