The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Temporary dental crown fell off tonight - will it be ok until Tue??

So it's Sat. night and my dentist is closed of course....and closed Monday I believe for MLK day. I had 3 cavities filled last Tue - they involved 2 teeth side by side (back molars). One already had a crown on it from an old root canal. That tooth decayed side and under crown, and affected tooth next to it. Long story short, he fixed the cavities but it involved alot of drilling and and he had to reconstruct some of the 'between the teeth' area himself. There isn't alot of tooth left for either tooth. He put on a temp. crown until permanent one comes in 1/31. SO....I am not in pain. It APPEARS there is white filling on both teeth - it is bright white, obviously not tinted the color of my teeth since it will be under the crown anyway.

I saved the crown and left a v.m. for dentist but it appears he doesn't have an after-hours service. SO........if I don't chew on that side and if I don't have pain, am I okay waiting until Tue. to see him?? Tomorrow is Sunday and I am away Monday all day for MLK day.

UGH. What a PITA!

I think they sell stuff at CVS that will work for a temporary cap. Some sort of wax or gum-like substance. You don't want the root totally unprotected (ouch!)

Aha:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Well the roots aren't unprotected. Tooth #1 had a root canal years ago. Root is dead. Tooth # 2 is filled with "filling". Nothing is open and there are no holes. I hope he checks messages. If not he won't even know it fell out until Tuesday - eek. Thanks for the link though. If he doesn't call me I may try to cement it myself

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

What Guin said.
    I've used that stuff on a broken molar until I could get to the dentist.

You don't want food getting in there to start a possible infection.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The pharmacy may also sell temporary adhesive that will allow you to replace the crown. This must happen with some frequency, because my dentist gives patients replacement kits that include the adhesive. Ask for one when you go back. Always smile when I read the instructions with the kit that caution against using super glue.

I had that happen in the middle of a busy horse show out of town. There was literally no time to go get it fixed, and since I'm not big on the dentist going to one I didn't know didn't appeal to me much. I was careful not to chew on that side but otherwise had no pain and no ill effects afterwards. I hadn't heard about anything you could pick up at the store, but my dentist wasn't overly concerned. You should be ok until Tuesday.

I agree, it will be fine. Happens to me pretty much every time I get a crown as I can't go that long without something sweet and sticky. I usually just stick it back on and it will stay in place until the next time I eat something sticky. But I have had them break and gone without for a few days without a problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Comes Around View Post
    The pharmacy may also sell temporary adhesive that will allow you to replace the crown. This must happen with some frequency, because my dentist gives patients replacement kits that include the adhesive. Ask for one when you go back. Always smile when I read the instructions with the kit that caution against using super glue.
    Yup, you can use this, or I've used denture adhesive too. No problam, I've lost at least 3 and was fine this way...
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

poli-grip!

I lost a crown when arriving in Hawaii for a week. We got the replacement stuff, but it rarely help through the day.

4 months later I had a large, painfull abcess that the endodontist said was probably caused by stuff creeping down along the root. Now I'm waiting to have an implant put in that spot, since she couldn't save the tooth.

If it were me, I would use the adhesive to put the crown back on and immediately replace it if it fell off again, until you can get into the dentist. Good Luck!

If the temp is in one piece, get some denture gel (fixadent, etc) and use it as a glue until you can get in. Just a tiny amount is all you need. The temp only goes on one way. Practice until you can get it to sit down totally. It is important that the temp stays in place b/c even in a few days, you teeth can shift a tiny bit and it makes the perm crown not fit. (btw I work for a dentist and doing crowns and fillings and root canals and implants, etc is all I do every day)
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

The stuff I used when this happened is called DenTemp. Worked great and held for five days. Totally goof-proof as well.

Thanks everyone. After reading your posts last night, I was able to put the crown back on with no problem. It went right back on and is staying so far with no adhesive. I don't plan on chewing on that side and if it won't stay I'll try the pharmacy stuff. Glad it wasn't that big a deal - thanks!!

I just asked my husband (dentist) and he said as long as you have zero sensitivity you will be just fine. Just keep the area clean with brushing and flossing and not to worry. He said that putting the crown back on with some poli-grip will work fine until Tuesday. Otherwise just leave it off and don't sweat it.

He says don't worry happens all the time and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Oh and that will be $1 please! hahaha!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Wow Brookes! Huge thanks to you and your husband. So funny as I literally had just come back from Target and put some Polident on it when I read your post. I only used a tiny bit and it's working. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    So it's Sat. night and my dentist is closed of course....and closed Monday I believe for MLK day. I had 3 cavities filled last Tue - they involved 2 teeth side by side (back molars). One already had a crown on it from an old root canal. That tooth decayed side and under crown, and affected tooth next to it. Long story short, he fixed the cavities but it involved alot of drilling and and he had to reconstruct some of the 'between the teeth' area himself. There isn't alot of tooth left for either tooth. He put on a temp. crown until permanent one comes in 1/31. SO....I am not in pain. It APPEARS there is white filling on both teeth - it is bright white, obviously not tinted the color of my teeth since it will be under the crown anyway.

I saved the crown and left a v.m. for dentist but it appears he doesn't have an after-hours service. SO........if I don't chew on that side and if I don't have pain, am I okay waiting until Tue. to see him?? Tomorrow is Sunday and I am away Monday all day for MLK day.

UGH. What a PITA!
    Forgive me, I did not read the other replies. I am assuming that you have a temporary crown on right now because you are having a new crown made, is that right? If so have you had the final impression taken? You do need to try to get it back on. Just clean it out with a q-tip and put a bit of toothpaste or vasaline on it and pop it back on as best you can and do not chew on that side of your mouth. You need to get it back on because even though it does not hurt due to the root canal, it is serving as a place holder. Teeth always want to remain in contact with each other, and if the temporay stays off, your teeth can shift around, and things may not fit together propkery when your new crown comes in. We once had a teenage girl get a crown after a root canal. She came in to get her crown cemented and lo and behold, no temporary. She says, oh, it fell out the day after you put it on, since it didnt hurt, i just left it off. well, her teeth were now touching (top to bottom) so there was NO ROOM for the crown. oopps. sucks to be her!
    You should be fine for a few days though. just try to pop it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Comes Around View Post
    Always smile when I read the instructions with the kit that caution against using super glue.
    Ha, ya, it wont really hurt anything though. The enzymes in your saliva will dissolve it on a few days.

Thanks MPS! So far it's staying put with the tiny bit of Polident I used. Hopefully my dentist won't mind that I did that. As far as no room for permanent crown, there is plenty as he had to take both teeth down significantly in size to fix the cavities, and do a bit of reconstruction. The problem occurred where crown #1 was for years. There was a gap and huge cavity formed partially under crown on side of tooth. It infected tooth next to it that also had huge hole on side. (Tooth #1 had root canal years ago....like 10). It's ALL my fault for not going to dentist for 3 years. Lesson learned. Anyway, the two teeth under the temp. double crown are little nubs now basically....both thinner and smaller. I did have a permanent impression taken so we're all set. Thanks everyone!

Glad you are doing ok! Glad the denture goop worked.

Just for anyone else's edification . . .never use super glue in your mouth. Hubby rolled his eyes at that one and shook his head. I think that stuff is toxic isn't it? He didn't explain just shook head rolled eyes and walked away . .mumbling.

As for holding the space or the teeth will move, they don't move that fast! They will shift over time but not in a couple of days, so no worries there. It takes time for teeth to move around and start to float into an open space. Months, think braces and how long it takes to move teeth around.

Also hubby says never use Anbesol, it's nasty and can burn up your gum tissue. Also never put an aspirin on your gums if you have a tooth ache. That is your little dental PSA for the day.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!