The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 18 Horses in Blankets Escape NJ Stable Onto Highway

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...s_round_u.html

Photo with article. All horses are safe.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Maybe it's time to reconsider this statement, as it seems a good way to keep your horse off the damn road!

barrier-free facility
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

What in the heck is a "barrier free" facility for horses? Are they using electronic collars on them now like dogs?

Did anyone else notice that the horses and stable were "county" owned. That seems odd to me.

Anyway, I'm glad the horses are OK and no people were injured.

The "barrier free" most likely means that it is set up for therapeutic riding, so that people in wheelchairs or the like can maneuver around the facility. They probably (I'm guessing...) have lessons for *everyone* at this place.

The "barrier free" bit caught me as odd too... I'd love to know what that means, whether its as oldpony says and its the new PC way of saying wheelchair accessible or what.......
    Last edited by Timex; Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

well the article says they broke through a locked gate, so I have to assume that it isn't 'barrier-free' to the horses, lol! Although I wouldn't put it past someone trying to keep horses trained to a yard with electronic collars on them.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Hah hah...even the horses want to leave Jersey.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Stables was Watchung Stables - owned by Union County.
    Barrier free means for therapeutic riding, not no fences. Its a large stable facility in a large park with lovely trails.

They ran 2+ miles to get to the Highway which is a MAJOR route to NYC. Were led back by stable help the 2+ miles - all uphill.

They do troop lessons mostly and have always done a decent job of training decent seat and hands. The stables has been around forever and if I remember right is one of the places Frank Chapot first learned to ride - DNJ2 and I too.

Posted by LexInVA:

Well at least someone must have taught them the highway code for staying on the *right* side of the road. .

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    They had put their nicest blanket and were heading down to NYC!

Does anyone know who the horses were that escaped? Articles online mention it was the "elders" of the barn that got out - I am curious because I rode there years ago.

Anyone familiar with the area knows that stretch of Rt. 22 is very dangerous. Thank God this happened at 8am on a Sunday when traffic was light.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Default so if everyone wants out of jersey,

why is it that we're the most densely populated state?
    no one being held hostage here that i'm aware of...

but back to OP. so glad they're safe. i've ridden on watchung trail system, parked the trailer near the stable facilities. it's most definitely fenced in, as others have said, and has a really good reputation as a county operated riding facility.
    considering the proximity to rt 78 and rt 22, this could've been disastrous!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    why is it that we're the most densely populated state?
    no one being held hostage here that i'm aware of...

but back to OP. so glad they're safe. i've ridden on watchung trail system, parked the trailer near the stable facilities. it's most definitely fenced in, as others have said, and has a really good reputation as a county operated riding facility.
    considering the proximity to rt 78 and rt 22, this could've been disastrous!
    According to recent relocation stats, Jersey (along with it's neighbor NY) is losing people in significant numbers due to the poor conditions in the Garden State. It's been like that for the last few years.

Hi, Lex. Not sure what "poor" conditions you cite. Cost of living here IS high: schools are excellent, housing market stable, generally positive employment outlook. Densely populated HORSE state, as well - equine activities are key contributors to our economy. I'm a realtor - ton of relocation clients coming from all over the country who like NJ enough to be willing to pay our high property taxes and buy our expensive homes...

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Hi, Lex. Not sure what "poor" conditions you cite. Cost of living here IS high: schools are excellent, housing market stable, generally positive employment outlook. Densely populated HORSE state, as well - equine activities are key contributors to our economy. I'm a realtor - ton of relocation clients coming from all over the country who like NJ enough to be willing to pay our high property taxes and buy our expensive homes...
    All the latest stats and articles say differently. More people are moving out of Jersey than into it.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...le/stproj.html

Per the census New Jersey is expected to continue to gain population. Other states are growing in population faster, however.

I am sure most of the "stats" are based on the census.

I am not sure I want more people here tho. I get tired of the NJ bashing, the state actually has beauty and riches and people who would do anything for you. It also has all the problems of over population. Luckily for me the population density is all centered in the north with some near Philly. Me? I got country living within an hour of Manhattan and an hour of central Philly...but man I got taxes too!!!

The stats are based on government data (taxes) and private industry data relating to the movement of people and their possessions including the sales of homes and the rentals of properties. The page you linked to is just some random stuff on the Census website which is neither current nor consistent with reported information in the last few years. Judging by the quality of the graphics, it's fairly old.