The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Which I Become An International Global Breeder LOL!/ An Update With Happy Tears

Alright so this is a racehorse we are on about but I still think it's kind of a bit funny, especially since I decided I will not be breeding rachorses anymore for various reasons.

When I set out breeding, be it racehorse or sporthorses, my goals were simple. Breed something that is healthy enough, strong enough, conformationally correct, good temperaments (yes even for the racehorses), and that could DO THE JOB they were bred for.

My first crop of racehorses was 2006. Soul Sista won 2 as a 2yo and placed 4 times. Tax Dodger was not so spectacular but he got to the races and managed to place and is supposedly heading for a National Hunt career.

My 2007 foal crop was my Antonius Pius colt out of my French Deputy mare and a half brother to the not so hot Tax Dodger. Also had an Atraf filly but sadly she thought it was a good idea to run into a gate and died. The 2007 colt we nicknamed Carols and he just won in Cyprus. Actually, I think he's won 2, but hard to get info from Cyprus. He won going 5 furlongs. Never broke him til June of his 2yo year because mentally and physcially he was immature. The same thing should have been done with Tax Dodger but we had sold him as a yearling and he didn't have patient owners.

So my record stands at 2 winners from 3 foals. They all made the track. No not world beaters but they gave their owners a couple of good days out.

I have left the 2008 crop of a Statue Of Liberty colt who is in Greece and I am in close contact with his owner. He is due to run this month or the next. He has a wonderful owner and seems to be a nice horse. Then there is the Antonius Pius full brother of the one above. There was a big debacle concerning him which I will not go into on a public BB. It doesn't really matter because that horse is in training and spoke to his owner trainer tonight. Such a nice guy and he loves his horse. Funny thing is that one is being pointed to a career over hurdles. He was such a big good looking horse and apparently bigger and better looking! Wouldn't say he's be out til the end of the year. And my 2009 foal crop of a Kheleyf colt sold as a foal and of course the "will she ever be sold" High Chaparral filly Penelope.

So with Sinbad in training I could be an International Global winning breeder of flat and National Hunt horses!

And what about my little French Deputy mare who is the dam of my new winner? Well to be honest I tried to sell her before the winter. I wasn't going to breed anymore but I also wanted to find a nice home. I couldn't find that home so one day I just looked at her and told her she wasn't going anywhere. My plans for her were to get her back riding again and maybe do the amatuers with her. She's only 10 and has a lot more years left. Those plans are not changing. She is also the dam of my warmblood yearling Lila. Now if one of them steps up and gets black type or something, then yes, I will sell her. But seriously, that's like winning the lottery.

I was telling the owner of the now 3yo that's in training that I still had the mare. He said, whatever you do don't sell her. He told me a story about he sold a mare to a woman for 1500 euros because he was fet up with the breeding game. Not one week later her half brother jumped up and won big. For NH followers, his name was Dunguib. A day later a very big stud farm called and offered him 200k for the mare he didn't own!

Well done baby Carlos, you made a rainy crappy day a little brighter!

Terri
    Last edited by Equilibrium; Jan. 15, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Huge congratulations Terri. You tell it like a funny story but its one heck of an achievement especially as the racehorses you have bred are turning out to be fast enough to spring and have enough stamina for National Hunt!

I feel sorry for the owner who sold his mare days before she became valuable. That is really tough luck.

Well I tell it funny or you would cry. Being a small breeder unless you start out with a band of 100k mares is not worth it in the racing game. And it seems like everyone has the "lucky" story but you. Over here, if people do not know you, they don't want to know. It's a very close knit world in which everyone knows everyone. All I wanted to do is just try and produce horses that would stay sound and win races. And I spent a lot of time with them so that it would be possible for them to have another career after racing. So it has been frustrating and to be honest it put us in a hole when clients walked away from the horses and left us to pay the bills. So sometimes you may find a week in which all your animals have everything they need and you might be scrapping the cuboard to salvage something to eat. But as long as the bills were paid, I didn't care. But at the same time it has been so darn frustrating.

You go to sales, you see the individual, and you see a so so pedigree and you wonder how the heck that just sold for that. There is an element of playing the game and what you see isn't always what it seems. I just don't know how to play the game and so felt it was much better to stop pouring money down the drain. And of course, there is a living breathing creature involved.

The owner of the 3yo just texted me to say he saw the thing in the Field noting his win. He said you must be really proud to see your name down as breeder. I texted back that yes I was, but that owners who are happy with what I've bred and who take care of them is pretty special too.

And at the end of the day, that may be all I have. I did my best and hope they will give their owners good days out and be looked after when the racing is over.

And see now, I just got a little misty eyed which I didn't want to do. Last year was so freaking hard, but anyway enough of that.

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

While I am sitting here in a flood of tears, this is the text I just got:

My daughters are thrilled. Been brushing him down all evening! I think they have mucked him out fifteen times in the last hour! They are telling everyone! We call him MCG, short for McGreggor. He is enjoying being spoiled!

Somtimes, you get it very right.

Terri
    Last edited by Equilibrium; Jan. 15, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

You have every right to be misty eyed right now. Does the success of the horses you have bred so far mean that you are starting to become one of the club? Will it tempt you to return to breeding racehorses? You are rather good at it!

No, definitely not. Won't be in the club and I am just happy for the little success and for the people who now care about them. It's a very very tough game right now. I still have Carlos and Sinbad's mom. She is still young and she will be going back into work just for fun. If one stroke of luck happens and one of those 2 strikes gold, then maybe, but that's a very big if!

Terri

Default Congrats!

Congrats on your success. I know you have had some hard times so I am happy to hear of the success of your foals and the happy owners. You are very deserving and are one of the most caring breeders here. Celebrate!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

And it could not have happened to a better person! Congratulations! May you have a long celebration!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Thumbs up

Big Congratulations Terri! Savour the success you so richly deserve.
    Your story made me pretty misty-eyed too.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Great story and results so well deserved! It would be so wonderful if everyone cared so much and did right by their horses -- I am so glad for you!
    PennyG

congrats and blessings for continued success. I love these kind of stories!
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    While I am sitting here in a flood of tears, this is the text I just got:

My daughters are thrilled. Been brushing him down all evening! I think they have mucked him out fifteen times in the last hour! They are telling everyone! We call him MCG, short for McGreggor. He is enjoying being spoiled!

Somtimes, you get it very right.

Terri
    Awww. well done Terri, well done. It can't get better than that, can it?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Thank you guys so much! I'm so happy these horses are going out and doing the job they were bred for. I also know the owner of Carlos, the horse that won in Cyprus, has a really good owner too. A guy in his 20's owns him. His mom and dad have loads of money and he just loves racing and the horses. He told us when he bought he would always have him. I'm sure Carlos is wondering where all the sunshine came from after living in Ireland for 2 years!

Today, I'm going to text the owner of the 08 colt who know lives in Greece. That is Damien. Kostas always calls me back and gives me little stories about how he's doing. Kostas is actually a hoot.

Good stuff really. I'm sure my lot out in the barn are a bit annoyed with me today. It's my only day off and I've had a sneaky lie in and computer time!

Terri

Good on ya Terri!!! Well done.

I have to add this funny side note. My landlord, myself, and another boarder were standing in the barn last night talking about the 15.2 hand wonder mare and my landlord asks who else Madison has on the ground. I point to Lila and say her. You must be joking he says. Lila is the warmblood filly I bred for myself. Landlord is only into racing and thinks sporthorses are a waste of time. He's like you have a good mare sitting there and only Lila to hold the ship. That ain't right! LOl

So Madison has already bred a sprint winner, has a potential decent hurdle horse on the horizon, and could have a nifty little SJ!

Wonderful news! You have every right to be proud!

Katja

Congratulations! It couldn't have happened to a nicer person! Now sit back for a little bit and enjoy your success....

Best,
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

What a neat story! Huge congrats! You have every right to be very, very proud.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Terri, your stories have left me misty eyed as well. You have more than a few reasons to be proud of what you have attempted and what you have done. Good on you! Wishing you much more success in your future endeavors, wherever they take you.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm sitting here bored at work waiting fir someone to arrive. Honestly people I have already done my 6 and as soon as it's light enough I will be riding before work.

So that means I have time to thank all of you. I am chuffed to bits that breeders on this board that I hold in the highest of regards have been so kind. And Viney your information and friendship over the years has been wonderful especially the last few months.

Thank you so much COTH!

Terri