The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Monthly boarding costs?

What does it cost you to board your horse (full board with turnout)? I pay $650/month at an eventing barn in Virginia...and in this area, that's pretty reasonable. But on another thread, a COTH'r reports paying $275 (in Nashville, I think). I suspect board costs vary with geography, but am interested in what others are paying.

I currently pay $200/month for pasture board. There are a few trails and a nice outdoor ring, but no lights.

Where she is going to foal out will probably be about $450/month. Indoor may or may not be up by then, the stalls are 12X14, she will have private turnout.

Where is is going after that is $260/month for self care, which will be a stall (12X12) and a paddock for her. There are two stalls that open to private fields and she agreed that I can have one of those. It will be about $150/month in straw, hay and grain. Part of self care is me cleaning the stall, but them feeding every day. Full care there is, I think $525/month. Direct access to Fair Hill and a nice outdoor arena, but no lights.

There is a place up the street that is $400/month. It has an indoor and outdoor arena, but only one field for everyone, which I don't like as much.

Where I am full care board is 690 a month. There is a place down the road for 600 a month with pretty comparable facilities - indoor, outdoor, heated tackroom, xc schooling, plenty of hacking. My boys live outside most of the time but they do have a stall in case the weather turns for the worse, and that is 550 a month. We are in Northern Baltimore County

We're located in SouthWestern Ontario and charge $450/month. Includes 14x12 box stall, 10 hour turnout on grazing pasture (3 board fencing with electric), 2x/day grain, 4x/day hay, blankets and boots on/off, 70x170 indoor arena, fenced outdoor arena, trails with safe creek crossing, lower level XC course. We do charge for extra care (ie, special grain or hay cubes) and boarders have the option to be on our deworming program or buy it themselves. If they choose to buy/deworm themselves, it must be done with the same drug on the same day. We charge $20 for horses under 1200 lbs, $30 for horses over 1200 lbs. We also charge for holding horses for the vet/farrier and arranging appointments if they get lazy and let their horse's feet or vaccines get overdue.

Southern Maine and I'm pay $650/month (it's $600 for boarders who are in the lesson program). This includes ~8 hour individual or group turnout (weather permitting, but the BO really likes to get the horses out if absolutely possible. drizzles don't keep them inside), a nicely bedded 10x10 box stall with mats and two water buckets, 4x/day high quality hay, 2x/day graining (a third graining is available if you desire), blanketing/booting/fly gear, access to an indoor arena and outdoor arena, both with jump equipment, and a heated tackroom/bathroom.

This is the standard rate for my area if you want an indoor. Prices vary a little, but not a ton. When I lived in central Maine, I paid $550 for the same sort of services (only with stall mattresses! love!).
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by VAevent View Post
    But on another thread, a COTH'r reports paying $275 (in Nashville, I think).
    That was me- $275 is pasture board, we charge $425 for full care stall board, with no arena. It will be $300 and $450 when the arena is open. Top notch facility aside from the lack of arena.

I know that pricing in the NW suburbs of Chicago is similar to the board here in Nashville.

You're hard pressed here to find board at anything but the crappiest facility for less than what we charge.

I have my own place and don't really board commercially, but I charge $275 pasture board with minimum 20lbs peanut hay and buckeye feeds. I seed 2x a year and soil test so I have grass year round. I have a large jump field and flat grassed area for flat work, but working on arena. Wash rack and tackroom and two stalls if needed. 'm in NE florida.

Fancy eventing facility was $615 including use of arenas, stadium jumps, cross country course, 14x14 stall and daily turnout (but 9-3 was considered "all day"). $1 extra per flake if you wanted T&A hay in addition to the mixed grass they bale from their own fields.

$300-ish for mostly field board (stalls available for bad weather and separate feeding) with lots of trails but no arena.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I board here at my farm, smaller farm with small lesson/show program, we do hunters, dressage and some eventing. My full stall board is currently $325 which includes turnout daily, stalls picked daily, twice daily hay and grain, holding for farrier/vet, change of blankets twice daily, feed owner provided supplements, can park a trailer if needed. My pasture board is currently $250 and includes all of the above without the stalls. We have a 250 x 140 sand arena, during spring, summer and fall we have a dressage arena setup, but not in winter, outside of the sand arena, but put in the sand arena for shows. We have hacking paths, but not "trails" exactly. Also a 60' round pen. I am considering an indoor, and if so, board will likely go up $100 per month

On the west side of Charlotte NC $275 for a large stall (16X14) with nice turnout. The barn is older but kept up. Small group turnout in decent pastures with safe fencing. We have a little bitty indoor - as in I use it to let my horse stretch his legs in the winter when the weather is bad. (large pony can barely trot in it). H/C wash stall indoors and outdoors. Lights in the ring. A roundpen. 10 minutes from my house. Backs up to a nature conservatory, you can ride all day. I can ride him 5 minutes and be at the dressage trainers barn. The BM is good to work with you on stuff. Everyone gets along ok and helps out. You can bring a trainer in, no barn trainer. Trailer parking but it is tight (a couple of ladies make their husbands park). Feed 2x per day/Grass hay only.
    The bad. Owner/BM not on premises. Footing in the ring sucks 7 times out of 10. It does not drain so any wet weather it stays wet for a while. Then in the summer it is hard as a rock. (I do a lot of trail riding then but still it is annoying when you have sent in your entry and then it rains all week). It is in the works to do something with the ring but it has not happened yet. I have an easy easy keeper but still wish they would feed just a flake or 2 more hay in the winter. (this is my first winter there - I am going to see if I can pay a little more when he comes back from the trainers for a little extra hay for him). If you put the jumps up in the ring you have to take them down for the 2 DQs. Also all the jumps either I made or another boarder. We trend to keep them set up in the grassy area around the ring and that has limited space.
    Down the road at the professional barn which is nicer than my house....auto waters, stall mattresses, HUGE covered ring, all weather outdoor ring, also backs up to nature conservatory, hay in front of them all the time, owner/trainer and BM on premises $600-$650. I think this is the top end for my side of Charlotte.

We have two so board price is a big consideration for us. We did have 3 but our retired girl went to live at the professional barn mentioned above and is teaching the ropes to the BO/Trainers 63 yr old MIL. We laugh that the retired horse is all dont blow my cover coming down here!

Other places around go for $200 - $250 for pasture board. $300 - $450 is the norm for stall board with turnout and some sort of ring/trails/wash stall. I am not sure what is around the other sides of Charlotte as I refuse to drive far to see my horse.
    Last edited by belleellis; Jan. 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add info
    Pamela Ellis

Back in the midwest (Kansas City area) I paid $450/month for full care. Though I did buy by own grain. Now that I am in school in Georgia I am paying $800/month! Though I am at the only barn in the area with an indoor which I have been very thankful for several times. I was shocked at the differences! When I was looking at barns to board at here most were at least $650.

I board a few horses and charge $250 per month for full care. It includes a good sized stall, grain fed 2x a day and hay fed at least 4x a day, a lighted outdoor and a round pen for training, a few trails and nearby access to miles of groomed public trails, jumps available for use, and a small cross country course that we are starting to build. The horses are turned out to pasture for the day (except in the worst weather) and brought in at night. Most of our horses aren't blanketed but we will take care of blankets if the boarder wants it.

This seems to be the going rate in the area; it's cheaper at some places if you provide your own hay/grain or do you own work. Places with an indoor run about $400 per month but they are few and far between.

In the hills Just East of San Francisco I pay $765 for a stall/run and turnout 5x a week for 2 hours a day. They will feed bagged supplements at lunchtime free of charge. Everything else is extra. My mare is nearly 3 hours away living rough on a pasture for $225/month, and this is literally the ONLY semi-safe pasture board I could find within 3 hours of me for less than $350/month.

I find myself dreaming about getting the F out of California almost daily. The hard part is divorcing someone I really have no other reason to divorce other than the location I am forced to live in. But I never thought the horse habit would get so much more expensive so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    That was me- $275 is pasture board, we charge $425 for full care stall board, with no arena. It will be $300 and $450 when the arena is open. Top notch facility aside from the lack of arena.

I know that pricing in the NW suburbs of Chicago is similar to the board here in Nashville.

You're hard pressed here to find board at anything but the crappiest facility for less than what we charge.
    Yeah, that's a great deal for Nashville, IMHO. I pay $400 for stall board, with no arena, and I'm about an hour and a half southeast of you. Top-notch care & private farm, though.

In the Ithaca area I'm paying $475 + tax (comes to $513) for full board...10 x 12 stall, 2x grain/supplements if provided, hay multiple times/day. We have an indoor arena, an outdoor jump field, and some trails. The people are great, and the price is one of the most reasonable around.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I have my guys at my house, but have boarded in the past central VA. 450 for one 500 the other very similar. Indoor w/ lights, outdoor w/ lights decent turnout 1/2 the day. one cleaned stalls 3x day when in.. wash racks hot/cold water. the 450 had trails the 500 didn't.

$450 for stall with a run/limited turnout, $425 for stall with no run and 6 days of turnout. Large, newer facility, large canvas roofed barns and indoor arena, owner lives in premise and his father lives 1 mile away, large outdoor arena with lights, access to trails, 20 min from my house but rather centrally located. Onsite H/J trainer, Western and beginner trainers.

This is less than most of the other barns in the area that are H/J focused. Not that this place is necessarily H/J focused but you get the idea. It's a very nice place and I love it. At the barn that I grew up at, board was $700 full care and "turnout" in a run that had chatt (sp?) and no grass turnout to be found unless you walked across the street to the park to hand graze. That being said though, state of the art facility in every other sense of the word. I'd say $600-700 is more avg for a competition barn in my area.

St. Louis MO

I'm in Delaware, close to VA/MD/PA, but far enough off the beaten path to be a bit cheaper than those prices already posted; I charge $400 for full board, with a stall (rubber mat, shavings bedding), daily turnout, grass when in season (my pastures and paddocks are no smaller than 1 acre each), and grain/hay twice a day.

I feed any kind of grain or hay wanted, pretty much --I have my own grass hay, orchard grass hay, and alfalfa hay. I feed senior feed, Southern States, a local mixed grain which is very comparable to Purina, Triple Crown, soaked shredded beet pulp, etc., and any provided supplements.

I have a small track (1/4-mile) and sand outdoor arena (jumps) and in winter I hack in a 4 acre field. We are all level ground and have to haul out for hills though. I can have an ICP Level 3 instructor here if anyone wants excellent instruction and we are close (within 2 hours haul) to foxhunting, Fair Hill, and over 30 USEA events, and 4 very good XC schooling courses. No indoor nearby that is worth schooling in -- that's the drawback. The best indoor for riding is about 50 minutes away.

For $400 I also trim barefoot horses, deworm, blanket/unblanket, groom/bathe/clip once a week or as needed. It is above the going rate in my area but I do good care and have had several boarders that have been here for over 3 years, and horses that come back, too. Most of the "field" board situations around here are pastures with round bales and are much cheaper -- and thus I get people who wonder why I "charge so much more". I don't make hardly anything when you figure in my time, especially in winter. There is a big difference in caring for horses at least semi-properly, and just doing the minimal amount to keep the horse alive and walking around, in my opinion.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

It's always interesting to hear about the variation in costs and what is provided.

I pay $350 for field board. Some of the field boarders think this is expensive.
    (although none of them have moved....).

I don't because as an active competitor I have almost everything I need. Fields are very well maintained and beyond spacious for the herd. They are also hilly enough for good conditioning right on site.
    Staff is terrific, knowledgeable and reliable, longterm. BO knows everything there is to know about managing a farm and horses. We have a big indoor, a big jump ring outside, and another outdoor ring with lights and footing that resists freezing. We have a cross country course, and a new dressage pad with all weather footing. We back up to a state park with miles of trails. We have a **** trainer if you can get on her schedule, have 2 FEI dressage instructors who come on a regular basis, and easy access to all kinds of great trainers in the immediate area.

They do run an active lesson program so indoor space is limited during the winter in evenings on weekends, but I can work around that so it's ok with me.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

It varies VASTLY by region. Here, I pay $350 for full board at a private farm. All weather footing with lights and jump field and a truly lovely place kept in tip top shape at all times. My horse is finally OUT all the time, just coming in to eat or really nasty weather, thank goodness. Backs up to miles of trails.