The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Default Bird People tell me about yours :-)

I just got a 1 year old male Timneh African Gray last week and am soo excited I used to have a Congo that I hand raised from a baby but had to sell him 6 years later due to divorce and not having anywhere to keep him. . So finally the stars have aligned so that I can have a large bird again and I realize now how much I missed having my other one around.

Since DaVinci is only a year old he mainly mimics sounds for now although he can say hello, and Hi. He loves the cats and they like him (not in a nom nom type way though ) He's not too sure about the dogs yet, they are meeting through the cage only for now.

My other Gray loved cats too, he used to call my cat through his cage and say " here kitty kitty kitty" and once the cat came he would shovel water from his water dish on him

We did have construction crews working outside one summer when I had my other bird and we had our windows open (Pacific Northwest at the time) and one day a crew worker came to my door and asked if my bird was ok. I told him he was fine and opened the door where he could see him. I asked why he asked and evidently the workers and the bird would talk back and forth all day with the bird yelling at them to "get busy" "be quiet" etc and that day he had been quiet.

Looking forward to parrot chatter again

Meet DaVinci!

Ignore how I look LOL. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1274785839

Meeting Kitty.. (bird came from home with cats and kitty is very calm and declawed (came from shelter that way))

So any other large parrot or bird owners here??? Share pics and stories.
    Last edited by horse-loverz; Jan. 15, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I wish I could have birds . I love them so.

I have cats. I also had parakeets, 2 of them, in a giant cage with parakeet sized bars. I bought them at the same time and they were my sweet little babies. Tragedy happened and I will no longer have birds. The cage SHOULD have been safe, but I honestly don't know what happened.. came home one day and it was eerily quiet in the house, I looked into my bird cage and my poor bird was on the floor of the cage, mangled. NO idea how my cat could have possibly done it- the bars were TINY and the cage was huge. I CRIED my eyes out! My other bird was killed as well... I was cleaning the big cage and had the birds in a smaller cage in a room with the door SHUT, and somehow the same cat broke into the room and THEN broke into the cage, stole the bird out of it and killed it. Brought it into my bedroom like it was a gift.

Seriously? How crafty can a cat be? No more birds! I would love to be able to have finches or a canary but I won't risk it again.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

how Awful!!. Those little birds are so delicate but I guess if I cat's determined they will find a way.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I've had my Umbrella Cockatoo for about 22 years. Her name is Snowie, because that's what happens when you give a kid a Cockatoo . She still will not let my mother, or anyone else other than me, pick her up or pet her. She was wild caught, and had another owner before me who had to give her up because she was jealous of their new baby. She doesn't really talk, although she mumbles a few things that sound like words, if you have imagination . I also have a small white-front Amazon and a Quaker Parakeet.

DaVinci is a cutie!!!!

I want a grey but with cats and as much attention as they require, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Did you get him from a breeder?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    how Awful!!. Those little birds are so delicate but I guess if I cat's determined they will find a way.
    They are very fragile. My grandmother has parakeets that are over 15 years old now however!

I'm <sniff, sniff> jealous! I love birds. Just can't now - 3 very bold farm/house cats, 3 dogs.

My brother has a Military Macaw and she loves me. It was something instant the first time I met her. And she's a real bitch. So he put my name next to hers in his will.

I've got baby parakeets when they were kicked out of the nest (our neighbor when I was a kid was a breeder) they didn't know that they were birds. He had a big flight cage and they would turn the sprinkler on in the summer. I've had small macaws, finches, and a conure.

Love your gray!!
    Last edited by pony grandma; Jan. 17, 2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: forgot the cockatiels!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Every now and then I'll see parakeets flying around with the wild birds in my backyard. Usually it's just one single parakeet amongst a bunch of sparrows but in downtown Tampa there are a ton of them in a flock, living wild. There are several tropical breeds that must have been pets, parrots and such, flying around the streets of Tampa and Clearwater.

Has anyone else seen a cockatoo having a meltdown? I kid you not, it's truly terrifying. The noises those birds can make at such volumes...

I have a Military Macaw! She is 25. My husband always wanted a bird, and we got her as a baby; We thought she was a "he" until at about age 14 "he" laid a couple of eggs, ha ha. People who know birds say she is amazingly even tempered, but I beg to differ! She flew away once, and then returned on foot 3 days later. She can't navigate very well when flying. She basically rules the household, the dogs (Saint Bernards, mind you) and cats flee when she comes out of her cage.

I discovered I am so not a bird person.

I had 'keets and was so relieved when the last of them passed on.

Just not for me....I will enjoy them vicariously through all of you.

Hahaha those militarys are HUGE! and very dominant.

I love finches, the little beep, beep, beeps are like a soothing comfort sound to me. I would love to have a sunroom flight cage with them. Aahhh lottery ticket.

My brother had a parakeet and had the old glass mirror tiles on his TV wall (eons ago), he tied shoelaces to the old rabbit TV antenna and that bird would hang upside down and pull those rabbit ears up and down and whirl around in front of those mirrors and GO CRAZY, whistling and his little crest up, his eyes bug-eyed wild... what a clown he was. He had an empty plant pot in a macrame hanger filled with coins and he taught the bird to pick out just the quarters and drop them on the floor. And the bird would yell out "Time to go to the beer store!" You get the picture
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I have a blue front amazon, Rita. We think she's a girl. I got her at twelve weeks old and finished hand feeding her. She's now twenty five years old and she IS a talker. Almost never shuts up. Most of her sentances start with Rita wants.
    She knows the dogs names and is constantly on them about something. The cat who lives in is named Meda but Rita calls her Ada and will groom her for hours.
    She knows my dh and my daughter's name but for some weird reason shes always called me Rita, too, even though she knows her name is Rita and will answer what when you call her.

She knows the names of many of her favorite foods and will insist over and over on what she wants to eat rather than what you offer her.
    While she knows the names of many of the foods she calls all mayo., salad dressing, gravy, butter, etc. butter. She'll tell you right quick "with butter" if you offer a salad without dressing or whatever.

She's rather bratty and does things like if dh and I are trying to talk she will holler. We stop talking and she stops hollering. We start and she starts. The only way you can stop that is to say "I'm going to get the Rita shooter". The Rita shooter is a syringe with water.

She isn't a cuddler and I'm the only one who can handle her without being bitten but she is a much loved member of the family.

Oh I've tried to get her to say thank you for twenty five years. She's determined that she won't.

She also mimics one of the dogs bark. A Whipperwill, The sound of me beating something with a spoon and....when I take a swallow of milk she makes swallowing sounds but I'm pretty darn sure I don't do it that loud.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I have a cockatiel, but he thinks he is a big parrot, so it's close!

I love birds, their personalities fill the whole room in a tiny (although very messy and loud) package. I can't imagine my life without a bird.

I had a scare last summer where my Tiel flew out the window and went missing for two weeks. I found him online in the local found pet section. How amazed was I! He did find bird paradise with a lovely older lady with two other lovebirds, but he came home! He also rules the house, no strangers can visit without his inspection/approval, and the cats are not too keen on his defenses (they tolerate each other).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...5/471c3508.jpg
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    Has anyone else seen a cockatoo having a meltdown? I kid you not, it's truly terrifying. The noises those birds can make at such volumes...
    Come to my house any day/time and you can witness a "meltdown" from my Cockatoo...
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

3 Parakeets.

I have no idea what I thought when I got them, or why I added the cats later on. While I managed to train the kittens ok to leave the birds alone, the new cat can't get it that birdies are off limit....

love the little darlings, but might have to rehome them...they are not getting their needs met.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I have a 17 year old Umbrella Cockatoo, named Sunshine, and have had him since he was 4 weeks old. Bottle fed him and everything! Love him dearly, but damn, he can do DAMAGE!!!!! Damage to my house, my furniture, and even my hands. I've been in the ER more times than I can count with almost loosing a few fingers. I won't get rid of the little bugger in fear of what will happen to him down the road. My family doesn't understand how someone can almost loose fingers and still want to be first in line to stick my hand back in his cage to play with him again.

Sunny LOVES to take showers with me, he's potty trained (makes for easy clean-ups!), barks and growls like my dog, screams "Mom", and laughs just like me.

I think I have the only parrot that chases the cat, and the only cat that RUNS like the wind from the bird...

We have a love-hate relationship!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Come to my house any day/time and you can witness a "meltdown" from my Cockatoo...

I'm sitting here watching Inception and listening to the Hahn's Macaw say all his favorite phrases because he thinks we are 'ignoring' him! He likes "Here, Kitty kitty kitty" and "What a good bird!" When he gets really desperate he says "I love you Dexter," over and over again. He's such a funny boy! He's my son's bird and he is about 3 years old. I would love to have a 'big' bird, but they live too long, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Ditto. Mine can also scream while flipping circles around her perch at 90mph.
    Yup! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I swear, those owners of that bird I saw must have been totally controlled by it all the time. That bird had a fit anytime anythign was out of place, it was hungry, cold, tired, bored, wanting attention etc.. It was a true a**hole!