The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Raw Food Recipes

I'm doing a raw food diet for 10 days with one of my friends, and I'm just needing some recipes. I'm not into doing anything complicated. Just like really good salad toppings, fruit things, etc.

Hey Forestergirl99,

At least 50% of my diet is from raw food. I often times refer to this website for various recipes: http://www.rawglow.com/recipes.htm

When I make a salad, I normally use a mix between romaine lettuce and baby spinach. Always use organic spinach because it is one vegetable that absorbs the toxins used in pesticides. I typically top my salad off with sweet corn, either chick peas or kidney beans, diced tomatoes, a bit of onions and fresh garlic, mushrooms, fresh basil, diced cucumbers, etc. and whatever else I can get creative with. For "dressing" I always use a couple tablespoons of olive oil, a bit of lemon juice and tiny bit of apple cider vinegar, with sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Enoy!
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Rinse and drain a can of black beans. Mush them up a bit. Add 1/2 to 1 minced sweet onion and the juice of a lime. Add 1 Tb olive oil (optional, makes it creamier). Add a big slug of ground cumin and garlic powder. Adjust seasonings to taste.

You can add a small can of whole kernal corn to make a complete protein, or even use it as a base to make a salsa (minced tomato, green onion, avocado, cilantro). Mix it up and throw a dollop on your salad.

The basic recipe also makes a great dip with pretzels or corn chips.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Rinse and drain a can of black beans. Mush them up a bit. Add 1/2 to 1 minced sweet onion and the juice of a lime. Add 1 Tb olive oil (optional, makes it creamier). Add a big slug of ground cumin and garlic powder. Adjust seasonings to taste.

You can add a small can of whole kernal corn to make a complete protein, or even use it as a base to make a salsa (minced tomato, green onion, avocado, cilantro). Mix it up and throw a dollop on your salad.

The basic recipe also makes a great dip with pretzels or corn chips.
    Have the black beans already been boiled to make them soft? I've never really thought about that before, or just soaked.

I went to a raw food cooking class the other week. It was really fascinating. We started with kale salad then had nut loaf with mashed "potatoes" (made from mushed cauliflowers) and finally pecan pie. It was really good, but very heavy.

However, I could never be a raw foodist as it was way, way too much effort. All the talk about sprouting and planning was just too time consuming for me. Good luck though, I would love to do it, just know that I wouldn't end up sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Have the black beans already been boiled to make them soft? I've never really thought about that before, or just soaked.
    I assume they're at least cooked a little during the canning process as whatever-it-is that's toxic in raw beans has been neutralized. I thought they might be okay since the previous poster mentioned canned garbanzo beans or kidney beans, which would also be somewhat cooked during canning.
    ---------------------------

lol! To the OP, if its your friend in MA that you are doing the raw diet with, this is her parental unit! A bean of any sort has never passed her lips in the 17.5 years she has been alive! This is going to be very interesting!! I see many apples and strawberries ahead!

My friend made this for me, and it is so yummy!

Massaged Kale Salad

1 bunch kale
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (or Sweet Glazed Nuts)
    ¼ cup diced red onion
    1/3 cup currants
    ¾ cup diced apple, (½ apple)
    ¼ cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

De-stem kale by pulling leaf away from the stem. Wash leaves. Spin or pat dry. Stack leaves, rollup and cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade). Put kale in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, massage salt into kale with your hands for 2 minutes. To toast seeds, put in a dry skillet over low to medium heat and stir constantly for a few minutes until they change color and give off a nutty aroma.
    Put kale in a fresh bowl and discard any leftover liquid. Stir onion, currants, apple and toasted seeds into kale. Dress with oil and vinegar and toss. Taste for salt and vinegar, adding more if necessary. When at desired flavor, toss in cheese.

Preparation time 15 minutes
    Makes 6 servings

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    lol! To the OP, if its your friend in MA that you are doing the raw diet with, this is her parental unit! A bean of any sort has never passed her lips in the 17.5 years she has been alive! This is going to be very interesting!! I see many apples and strawberries ahead!
    HAHA!!! Yes it is!!! And oh goodness. This should be very interesting! And yes! Thank goodness for fruit!