The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finally: WAR EAGLE!

On Monday night, Auburn won the BCS National Championship game to finish #1 in football.

The Ducks played a great game, but Auburn's defense showed up to play. (Better late, than never. )

For the second time in my lifetime (I was too young to remember the first), Auburn made it to the top.

WhooHoo! Anyone else here a football fan?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

WAR EAGLE!!!!!

I didn't get to make the trip to the game (WAY too expensive!), but the party here in Auburn was awesome! Toomer's Corner is still covered in toilet paper! They estimated 30,000 people at the Corner after the game! So exciting

I'm so sad that football season is over! And my beloved Cammy-Cam declared for the draft last night What an awesome season though! War Eagle!!!!!

Thumbs up Congrats!

I only managed to watch the first half...but it was an exciting first half! The problem with being on the east coast is that everything comes on so late here... or maybe I'm just a grandma for my age...

My husband and I are Oklahoma fans...and ESPN has named them #1 in their 2011 preseason rankings! Of course, there's quite a long time until the start of the next season...

We're in NC and will only make it to two games next year...but they'll be good ones... OU/TX in Dallas and FSU in Tallahassee.

BOOMER SOONER!

I grew up as a huge Auburn fan (as are all my family), though I have since shifted my allegiance to Ole Miss, since I went there. But almost my entire family went to Glendale for the game: we're talking parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It was sort of funny/macabre, because before they left, my dad pulled me aside and told me where various important papers, etc. were, b/c if something had happened while they were traveling, it would have literally taken out almost my entire family on both mom and dad's side.

The scramble for tickets was insane. For some of the prices people were paying, if I'd had a ticket, I'd have dang sure sold it! My folks said Glendale was great, and everyone there really appreciated the boost to the local economy. People estimate that between the Fiesta Bowl and the BCS game, the area saw a $400 million economic impact.

I am glad the Auburn won. I always cheer for SEC schools in bowl games...gotta support the conference. What I can't believe is how hateful Bama fans are being about it! We weren't ugly to them when they won last year.

War Eagle (and Hotty Toddy!)
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is over .

What I can't believe is how hateful Bama fans are being about it! We weren't ugly to them when they won last year.

LOL that's cute . Are you just now noticing how this rivalry thing works? You do know we didn't even play for a number of years, the passion on both sides was so dangerous. It's not a friendly rivalry, not always.

I am happy the SEC won. I look forward to the 2011 Iron Bowl when the last two national champions battle it out.

I kinda wanted the Ducks to win, I'll be honest...but I was surprised and impressed with Auburn's ability to overcome what was not Cam's finest game. I think Fairly is a thug. A talented thug, but a thug. And whichever Aubie it was that sent the Duck to the sidelines for stitches in his head c/o unsportsmanlike conduct, thug #2. And it doesn't help your team's rep when Cam's Daddy attending/not attending the game: is big news.

I respect your team's efforts and they won a hard fought game. But thinking UA fans are going to kiss your ring and love on you, is crazy. It's a rivalry. Get used to it

I got to watch it as well, since I was on vaca in 'Bama at the time. Actually, I take that back, with OSU we would have finally gotten AU coverage up here in Pac 10 Land.

I'm completely happy with the win, but the ending was...anticlimactic. Kick? No kick. Wait...kick? OMG ggrrr. Run the ball!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    But thinking UA fans are going to kiss your ring and love on you, is crazy. It's a rivalry. Get used to it
    I know, and that's fine. Like I said, I really don't care either way about Auburn or Alabama. I just have heard from my parents about some of the things other people are doing or saying that seem hurtful and unnecessary. Rivalry is fine: I'm used to it, I grew up here, but it just seems like it's getting more out of hand than it used to be.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is over .

What was with the field? Players were slipping all over. It was a fun game to watch, but it seemed both teams couldn't pull off much fancy footwork without wiping out.
    ---------------------------

What annoyed me was Oregon's footwear. Several times I couldn't tell if a penalty flag had been thrown or if it was just a Duck going ass-over-teakettle.

Jenners~ I thought it was appropriate for them to kick the field goal as the clock ran out. It would have been awesome if Michael had made it all the way into the end zone on that last run he made. But why get greedy? We had one of the best clutch field goal kickers in the country and it was basically a chip shot to with the National Title. Maybe not the most dramatic finish, since nobody in their right mind wondered if Wes would actually make the field goal or not. But had they tried to run it in, and Oregon mustered up a goal line stand for one play, the way Auburn had done to them all night... that would have been Over Time. It's just not worth the risk. Wes Byrum has been winning games for us for 4 years, starting with his amazing kick (twice!) from 48 yards at Florida as time expired... as a true freshman! It was very appropriate for him to knock that one in as the clock ran out on his last game at Auburn.

WildBlue~ Wasn't the field awful??? They had just laid new sod down less than a week before, after the Fiesta Bowl... bad call. Someone wasn't thinking. Would've been nice to see how some of those kickoff returns and reverses would have ended up had the players not fallen before getting hit!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the field, right off the bat and all the way to the end. Like hairy green jello!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Yep. The field was slicker than an ice skating rink. Hopefully, the hosts of next years' championship will take note.

Without Cam, Nick Fairley and four offensive linemen, Auburn will be hurting next year.

I thought that the Auburn thug who stuck his shoe into the Oregon players face should have been ejected from the game. He is an embarrassment to Auburn.

As for Alabama, my husband graduated from the U of A Law School. I pulled for Alabama last year and he pulled for Auburn this year. Since we could not watch the Auburn-Alabama game in the same house the first few years that we were married, I think that we have come a long way. I am sorry to hear that the Alabama folks have been such poor sports.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Alabama fan here - rooted for Auburn all the way. I even watched the game and got nervous a couple of times lol

I know Alabama and Auburn fans sometimes don't act well regarding the other state team, but that's so strange. I love it when either team wins, and yeah, I'd like that team to be Alabama, but Auburn's winning is almost as good.

And I heard that the SEC has won the NC for the last five years - wow~

Congralations Auburn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    What annoyed me was Oregon's footwear. Several times I couldn't tell if a penalty flag had been thrown or if it was just a Duck going ass-over-teakettle.
    This.
    It looked like they put yellow highlighters in the washing machine with their socks.

WAR EAGLE!

half of the junk in my laundry room is crimson (gives the term 'crimson tide' a whole new meaning when you have to be excavated from a laundry mishap! )

I was faithfully screaming 'WAR TIDE' and 'ROLL EAGLE' all season long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.