The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ABS in trucks

After a full year, almost $2,000 in expenses, and multiple mechanics, someone finally put a sensor on my ABS system and declared that the reason my brakes on my truck were acting funny was the ABS system. He didn't immediately have time to work on them and disabled the ABS system so I could get to work during the snow this week. While disabled, I've had absolutely no problems with my brakes.

So, my stupid question is do I really need the ABS system? No idea how much more it's going to cost me to fix them yet. Can I just keep it disabled? I have a manual transmission, 2500 ram, quad cab diesel dodge and do sometimes haul a two horse gooseneck with sideramp and dressing room. Thanks!
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Jan. 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I am sure others will be horrified, but IMO, no. People towed horses for many many years without ABS and were fine. You should be driving defensively anyway. My last tow vehicle had a bad sensor (those things are notoriously sensitive to even a few mm of change) so the ABS was not actually functional, but the brakes worked fine (and they were tested, if you know what I mean). So no, I wouldn't have a problem just leaving them off.

Default Thanks!

The hydroboost has been replaced twice, the power steering pump has been replaced, got new rotors on it, a pipe has been replaced and one ABS sensor has been replaced. Except for the ABS, the rest of the braking system is basically brand new! It's costing me a fortune and we still haven't touched the problem. Been great to drive without the ABS.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

The book on my Ford is in it and I am not going out there tonight to look it up, but I expect there is a fuse for the ABS.

If it is a separate fuse with nothing else on that circuit, pull it and forget about it.

CSSJR

My ABS system has been wonky for years. The same as you, we have basically rebuilt the braking system (it is a 1995 model, so not unexpected), and the ABS warning light is still on and the ABS system is not working. It has not caused me any issues .... the main braking system works the way a pre-ABS system did, meaning the driver has to be alert and know how to pump the brakes in icy / slippery conditions.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926
    RIP Carleigh 1999-2011

Default Great, thanks!

Thanks folks! The mechanic has already unhooked the ABS system so we could see how the brakes were doing without it and I haven't had any of the issues I had while it was hooked up. I feel a whole lot safer driving it now. Unfortunately, I've some other recent unexpected bills and money is pretty tight so if I could put it off fixing the ABS for a while, it would be helpful. Thanks!

[Politically incorrect mode = ON]Put a piece of black electrical tape over the idiot light.[Politically incorrect mode = OFF]
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Default another vote to un-hook the ABS!

I never learned how to get along with the ABS. I have my mechanics un-hook, as
    the system is not required by state inspection! At least, according to my mechanics
    & I just got my inspection renewed.
    The tape solution works fine!!!

Default You guys are great!

I feel a whole lot better about putting this off now. I think I'll try to settle up with my mechanic thus far. Like the tape idea. Initially I had to take it back to him after he disconnected the ABS as it apparently also disconnected my speedometer. That's fixed now.

I drove my big ol quirky Ram for a bit with no ABS while we were going through the debacle of replacing the rotors on the Dana 60 axles, (let me tell you how much fun that was, so much for simple brake job... but I now know the trick (the only trick that works) on popping the hub assembly without destroying the whole thing...). I baby the truck like there is no tomorrow and doubt the ABS has been used once since I got it anyways... My husband calls me "Captain Slow" while driving the Ram, haha. Left them disconnected for a bit while waiting for new sensor wires and truck drove just fine.